Photobook 'Culture of the Confrontation'
Photobook 'Culture of the Confrontation'
This book is about revolution in Ukraine 2013-2014, that reminded me the awful battles of past wars, legends, fairy tales.
This book is about revolution in Ukraine 2013-2014, that reminded me the awful battles of past wars, legends, fairy tales. Read more
About this project
Hi! My name is Maxim Dondyuk. I'm a documentary photographer from Ukraine. I’d like to talk to you about my first photo book called ‘Culture of the Confrontation’.
The book ‘Culture of the Confrontation’ is about the revolution in Ukraine 2013-2014, known as Euromaidan. It started as a completely peaceful demonstration on Kiev’s Independence Square (in Ukrainian 'Maidan Nezalezhnosti') against the decision of the former President of Ukraine to suspend an integration deal with the European Union. A few dozen of people, a few tents and banners. No one expected it would grow into much more.
When I came to Maidan for the fist time on December 1, 2013, I was sure that everything would be over by the next morning. I didn’t have the slightest idea where it would lead and that I would spend the next three months there - three months of bloody clashes, tears, fear, Molotov cocktails, burning car tires and deaths.
At Maidan my subconscious didn’t stop playing games with me. While taking the photographs, the line between reality and fiction sometimes became blurred. I forgot the place where I was and what century it was. Confrontation between protesters and police reminded me of the awful battles of past wars. On the revolutionary canvas creepy, bloody scenes interwove with views that were incredibly beautiful, from a visual side. I felt as if I had been transported to some phantasmagoric place.
I looked at Maidan with the help of associative images. I wasn't trying to show what was happening only as a photojournalist—I wanted to awaken people's strongest associations and emotions, wanted them to see how I saw. Photography isn't just a way to tell stories, but a means of conveying visual images that hold deep emotions. Photographs don't just show reality but allow the viewer to interpret reality and confront important life questions.
For already one year I've been working on the book together with a designer from Germany, Yevgeny Anfavov. Together, we want to create not an ordinary book with a set of pictures, we want to immerse you in the events of 2013-2014, and to awaken your strongest associations and emotions.
We recreate a map of Maidan, collect artifacts, wrote texts telling about the events and the causes that preceded them, pay a great attention to the tactual sensation while choosing paper and cover materials. I want this book to be of interest not only to those who are familiar with the revolution, but also to those of you who know very little or even nothing about it.
After searching for over a year, we were fortunate to meet an agreement with a German publisher Kehrer Verlag that will publish and distribute the book. So, if this Kickstarter campaign is successful, the photo book ‘Culture of the Confrontation’ will be available in fall 2016.
So, this is where you come in. With your help I need to raise the money to cover the cost of a high quality production and design of the book, including the elaborate choices of special materials that will turn this book into a very special object.
So have a look at the variety of ways to participate in the project. Do what you can afford. Through you and your support I will be able to present this book to the world.
And from the bottom of my heart Thank You!
- Publisher: Kehrer Verlag Heidelberg Berlin
- Design: by Yevgeniy Anfalov
- Format: 182 x 240 mm portrait format
- Approx. 250-270 pages
- Language: English
- Publication date: fall 2016
How will the funds be used
- To cover the cost of Printing
- To cover the work of Designer
- 10% Kickstarter fee and Payment processing fees
- Rewards. Part of the total amount will go to funding the rewards we will have ready for you
Photos from the project ‘Culture of the Confrontation’ were exhibited in solo and group exhibitions around the world: Musée d’Art Moderne (Paris), Somerset House (London), MAXXI, National Museum of XXI Century Arts (Rome), CAB Art Center (Brussels), International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum (Geneva), Voices Off Festival (Arles), Visa pour l’Image (Perpignan), Checkpoint Charlie Museum (Berlin), FOTOISTANBUL (Istanbul), and others.
- Finalist of the Prix Pictet Photography Prize, Disorder
- International Photographer of the Year in Lucie Awards (IPA)
- Winner of the Ville de Perpignan Remi Ochlik Award
- Winner of the Prix Photo La Quatrieme Image
- LensCulture Exposure Awards
- Kolga Tbilisi Photo Award, winner in documentary category
- Winner of the PDN Photo Annual 2015 in documentary category, etc
Photos from the project have been published in Rolling Stone, TIME, Newsweek, Der Spiegel, STERN, Paris Match, Russian Reporter, Le Monde, 6Mois, PDN, Bloomberg Businessweek, Polka, and others.
- The British Journal of Photography: Interview
- GUP Magazine: Publication
- LensCulture: Interview
- L'Instant Blog, Paris Match: Publication
- Der Spiegel: Publication
- Bird in Flight: Interview
- PHOTOGRVPHY magazine: Interview
- FotoEvidence: Interview
- Preset Shop: Interview
- OLD magazine: Interview
- 6MOIS: Publication
- Bloomberg Businessweek magazine: Publication
- Distant World: Interview
- Adele Humbert’s Blog: Interview
- Quesabesde: Interview
- Midia NINJA: Interview
- Impression Fine Art Papier Baryté
- Printed by Central DUPON Images printing house in Paris
- Each print will be signed, dated, numbered and accompanied by a certificate of authenticity
- Edition of 28 copies + 2AP (artist copies), all sizes included
- Pledging $5 000 and more - you can choose any photo from the project on my site maximdondyuk.com
- Pledging $1 200 and more - you can choose from 6 listed below photos
How can You help
BACK THE PROJECT. Check out our rewards and pledge whatever you can. Any large or small contribution brings us one step closer to reaching our goal and giving a voice to these stories.
SPREAD THE WORD! Please share our Kickstarter page on Twitter and Facebook and tell your friends and family about the project. Follow us on Facebook. We are sincerely grateful for your support.
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges when publishing a photobook include the possibility of delay, but Kehrer Verlag is highly experienced in dealing with the production and printing challenges entailed in the making of great photo books. If this campaign is a success, there is no question that the book will be published in fall 2016.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)