About this project
October 5th, 6th,7th and 8th, our streets will come alive again with the sights and sounds and smiles and grooves of HONK!
Sousaphones and snare drums will appear, trumpets and saxophones and stilters and second line dancers will converge, and hundreds of street musicians will transform our city into a world where everyone is free and anything can happen. Together, we celebrate the power to imagine a better world -- a world without borders or boundaries or prejudice -- and the activist street band's inspiring call to make that world our own.
The HONK! Festival features music that is truly of the people, by the people and for the people. It's a non-profit, grassroots community event -- free and family-friendly -- and it wouldn't be possible without the generous support of local fans who've come to adore our hometown invention. For the seventh year, our friends and neighbors will welcome fellow travelers from as far away as Vancouver and Rome, from New Orleans and Montreal ...And this year, we've invited more bands than ever -- more than 30 outrageous, loveable, one-of-a-kind bands -- all eager to come play with us, and all doing whatever they can to take the time off work and save up the money to make the journey.
Your generous contribution will help us bring the following bands from around the country and beyond, all eager to join our celebration:
- Brass Balagan (Burlington, VT)
- Brass Liberation Orchestra (Oakland, CA)
- Brass Messengers (Minneapolis, MN)
- Bread and Puppet Circus Band (Glover, VT)
- Caka!ak Thunder (Greensboro, NC)
- Carnival Band (Vancouver, BC)
- Chaotic Insurrection Ensemble (Montreal, QC)
- Church Marching Band (Santa Rosa, CA)
- Detroit Party Marching Band (Detroit, MI)
- DJA-Rara (Brooklyn, NY)
- Environmental Encroachment (Chicago, IL)
- Forward (Madison, WI)
- Gora Gora Orkestar (Boulder, CO)
- Hill Stompers (Los Alamos, NM)
- Himalayas (New York, NY)
- Leftist Marching Band (Portsmouth, NH)
- Loyd Family Players (Oakland)
- Lungs Face Feet (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Minor Mishap Marching Band (Austin, TX)
- Pink Puffers (Rome, Italy)
- Milwaukee Molotov Marchers (Milwaukee, WI)
- Rude Mechanical Orchestra (Brooklyn, NY)
- Seed and Feed Marching Abominable (Atlanta, GA)
- Veveritse (New York, NY)
- Young Fellaz (New Orleans, LA)
We don't pay bands to play at HONK! and most bands couldn't join us if we didn't also help get them here. For many large bands from far away, that's a lot of money, and that's where you can help. We need to raise $12,000 to help bring these bands to town, and every donation will get us closer to our goal.
HONK! is our festival. It belongs to you and me and everyone who joins in. This is your chance to help us all reunite with our brothers and sisters around the world. Help us make this year's HONK! bigger and better than ever, and don't forget to bring your dancing shoes come October.
For more information about HONK!, please visit our website at honkfest.org.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)