About this project
- Every backer (including those that only pledge $1) will be entered into a drawing to be the Photobomber. More details below.
- I will make a seven card set inspired by running a Kickstarter style project and include one with each shipment as a Kickstarter exclusive.
- Geek Fight is a non collectible (but expandable) card game filled with tongue in cheek humor.
- There are three sets out already.
- Geek Fight is 1/2 the price per card of Magic: The Gathering.
- If you want more details about Geek Fight, keep reading...
What is Geek Fight?
Geek Fight is a card game that takes a closer look at real life geek fights, those little "discussions" we all have about which sci-fi franchise is better or which superhero would win in a fight. While in the real world we generally have to show some form of self control (no matter how right weknow we are), in the back of your mind you are checking out your collection of perfect anime weapon replicas trying to figure out which one would do the most damage.
In Geek Fight you take your favorite geeky archetypes, put them in the arena armed with overpriced collectibles (some of which are NRFB!), and have them earn their geek cred the hard way!
Geek Fight has been around since 2008, and in that time we have come out with a few sets and worked on tweaking our production process in order to bring about a cost effective and fun game. Though each player builds their own deck for Geek Fight with cards from multiple sets, Geek Fight is not a collectible/trading card game. Geek Fight does not use random packaging, and the cost per card is low comparedto collectible/trading card games.
One of the more unique features of Geek Fight is the fact that we have small ad blocks on our cards. These are meant as a way to spread the word about other geeky companies and websites, while at the same time helping us pay for production, and in turn we can keep our prices competitively low. They even affect game play if you have the right cards in your deck.
We already have 3 sets of Geek Fight cards printed and in circulation, but there are always more ideas floating around our heads. We are looking to get the funds together to print a new set (maybe more).
You can find out everything you ever wanted to know about Geek Fight (and then some) at our site here.
What do you need to play Geek Fight?
Not much is actually needed to play Geek Fight. All you need is your own deck of 20 cards (your opponent will need one as well). A deck is made with no more than 10 Combatants and no more than 2 cards can have the same name (unless the card is a VIP, then there can only be one).
Of course, you also need to make sure the cards in your deck mesh well together. You should use cards that have complementing abilities, and of course you should make sure the combatants in your deck have enough resources of the right type(s) to play the other cards in your deck. You may want to buy multiple sets to make sure you can build a deck you like.
WAIT! DON"T GO! I know you are probably starting to think of this as another CCG/TCG money pit, but it isn't. You will not be hunting for that one rare card that is only included in 1 in every 1337.42 packs. Like I said before, we don't use random packaging, and our cost per card is one of the lowest on the market.
Since you don't have to worry about draining your wallet to build a deck, you can instead focus on which strategy you want to use to crush your enemies and see them driven before you! You could also build a deck that focuses on your special brand of geekery.
OH! Also make sure to bring something that you can use as counters during your game. Everyone should have something laying around that they can use. I can't be the only person with a toolbox filled to the brim with dice...
You can download our rules in PDF format here.
Here are some fan made how to play videos:
What Geek Fight sets are out now?
The sets of Geek Fight cards that are currently out cover only a small portion of the geek community. If you don't see your subset represented, don't worry. We plan on bringing many more forms of geekery to the table.
The first set we ever released is called Beta Edition. This set contains 42 cards and takes a look at many of the geeks that you will see at different types of conventions. Since only 1000 copies were ever printed, this set is due to be reprinted as Beta Edition Redux, with all of the errata and one of the cards swapped out.
Not this one, don't worry.
Our second set is called The Final Battle, and it focuses on the feud that took place between the Angry Video Game Nerd and the Nostalgia Critic. This set is sold as a 2 player starter pack. Even though it does cater to a specific fan base it is filled with plenty of cards that will mesh well with many Geek Fight decks.
Our most recent set (released in November 2011) is DEMOlition. This set takes a closer look at the card game demos that you can see being run at conventions and even at your friendly local gaming store. There are 20 awesomely geeky cards to be found in this set.
We have just about everything ready to print a new set. The card art is in and the cards are playtested. We just need to pay the artists, send the files to our amazing art director, and then off to the printer.
We have put together a set based on the battles of pirates against the Roman Legion (what, it could happen...). In order to make this epic conflict even more epic we have enlisted the help of the metal bands Swashbuckle and Ex Deo. Romans, pirates, and metal. What more could you want? This will be a 2 player starter set.
We have many more sets planned as well, including one featuring anime fandom and another featuring internet trolls. One of our rewards includes the ability to get your likeness on a card in one of those sets.
What do backers get?
Depending on how much you pledge to the project it can range anywhere from one copy of one set of Geek Fight cards (including our prior releases) to getting your face on a card in a future set. More premiums may be added as we progress.
Of course, in order to motivate all of our backers, I think a few freebies should be added as well.
- Every single backer (even those that only pledge $1) will be entered into a drawing to be the Photobomber in our upcoming troll set. The Photobomber will appear in the background of every single card in that set.
- If 100 people like this project on Facebook (the button is above) all backers ($10+) will get an Ad Ninja promo card.
- If there is a moderate amount of Twitter chatter about this project each backer ($10+) will receive a Plug Pirate promo card.
- If there is an overwhelming volume of Twitter traffic about this project, each backer ($10+) will receive a copy of the Spam Bot promo card.
- If we reach $6,000 I will create a mini set of 7+ cards and include a free copy in each shipment for our backers.
- If we get to $9,001 we will give every one of our backers ($10+) a copy of our promo card OVER 9000!!!
- Finally, if by some stroke of luck we break past $10,000 mark, I will get a tattoo of the Diving Dragon Games logo. I choose the location (don't worry, I'll keep it SFW).
- If we end up going beyond even the $10,000 mark I will continue to add new freebies. It may get to the point where I have to poll our backers for ideas.
I know some of you may be wondering why we have an incentive up there to break the $10,000 mark. It's simple really. We want to have a little extra capital to work on more sets and maybe get some card sleeves made for Geek Fight (not cheap).
Thank you for not saying TL:DR, and for supporting our little project. By backing this project you are not only helping us make more new sets, you are also helping grow the player base. Isn't it fun to have a few more n00bs to pwn?
Prices of the pledges cover shipping throughout the United States only. Any international backers will need to add $12 to their pledge total to cover the cost of international flat rate shipping. More may be added to international pledges that include the uncut card sheets, since they require special packaging.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (45 days)