Ferris: Modular key organizer + wallet to simplify your day
Customize your Ferris keys + wallet to carry what you need. Use the tidy ModStation catch-all to streamline your out-the-door routine.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, June 24 2019 11:00 PM UTC +00:00.
If you're like us, you try keeping things tidy– but you still waste time every day looking for your wallet, phone, keys and sunglasses. To create a better out-the-door experience, we've reimagined a better way to organize and carry your everyday essentials.
Our mission at Distil Union is to create products that solve life's little frustrations in a way that makes you smile. For years we've heard all the things you struggle with when it comes to the stuff you walk out the door with every day– so we've distilled the problem into an elegant solution which, of course, involves magnets... As it turns out, the best key ring isn't a ring at all.
Ferris reimagines our everyday essential items.
Built for those of us always on the go, Ferris makes your life a little bit easier by improving the things you carry and how you store them.
It’s time to retire the keyring for something more fun and flexible.
Ferris is a series of secure magnetic components that easily come together and quickly reconfigure as needed. Powered by MagLock, you can slim down and carry only what you need in an instant– no more, no less, and no tools required.
There are many solutions that have tried to tackle the problem of organization, but they come with their own problems or create other issues... We've grown accustomed to compromises and trade-offs, but these little frustrations really add up! We wanted to reclaim that time, and our sanity... A simple solution is long overdue:
We're passionate about designing products that simplify your life in clever ways, and after two years of exploration and development, we've created a simple modular system we call Ferris. Streamline your routine– walk out the door with lighter pockets and leave the rest neatly organized on the Ferris ModStation, a modern catch-all for your most common out-the-door items.
This is Ferris, a hassle-free system of everyday essentials.
Ferris lets your wallet and keychain adapt to what you need to carry– eliminating clutter and increasing peace of mind.
We set out to create a key organizer, and arrived at a system that's more than simply functional– Ferris saves you time and space, and adapts to your life in a fun and meaningful way. That's why Ferris is all about customization– there's no longer a need to carry different solutions. Instead, make what you carry work for you:
Grab a cover that suits your style and accommodates your carry, or pick a combination that adapts to meet your specific needs from day to day (this is the ideal solution for those of you who have multiple sets of keys, but you don't need to have them all on you all the time).
You can easily stack and rearrange– even combine your keys and wallet into one consolidated carry so you have one less thing to remember.
Scale up or down. Carry only what you need– no more, no less, and no tools required!
Ferris is powered by our patent-pending MagLock. This magnetic locking mechanism gives you the perfect balance of security and access that so many solutions fail to provide.
Free a key instantly to easily swap out, and share as needed.
Ferris leathergoods work with KeyMods– the heart of the Ferris family. They are made with neodymium magnets and Cordura, a nylon well-known for its durability and abrasion resistance. Behind these small mechanisms are years of development and testing to achieve a connection that is:
- Secure. In your pocket, your bag, dropped on the ground, taking a tumble down the stairs... Your keys will remain securely stacked together.
- Flexible. Magnets join together quickly and easily. They rotate smoothly for key access without removal, and allow for sharing without the need for a tool.
The KeyMods work like double-sided magnetic snaps: Nesting magnets with a male/female construction make a magnet-to-magnet connection that's incredibly strong and allows for rotation. This new MagLock works differently than our MagLock Sunglasses (totally redesigned and optimized for keys to snap together and rotate).
In order to accommodate the majority of keys that people carry, we created two types: KeyMod Clicks and KeyMod Sticks. View the Key Guide and video to learn how they work with your keys in our first Update.
Any larger keychain items (like a car fob, Tile tracker, or sentimental boondoggles) can be kept on the custom-designed FobRing included with the KeyLoop and the KeyFolio.
Made to last, with durable materials that feel great in your hand– and look great in your home.
It all comes together with the Ferris ModStation: A sleek and modern catch-all that gives everything a proper place. Cutting visual clutter not only saves your sanity, it helps you stay organized and makes your out-the-door routine quicker and easier.
Ferris ModStation is so much more than a mail-catch. We call it a "catch-all" because the slim tray is designed to accommodate your phone, a Kindle, a notebook, and anything similar. ModStation will even hold your phone's charging cable in place so it's always there when you need it– instead of falling behind your desk or getting lost entirely.
ModStation is made with steel, and features a smooth powder-coat finish. Easy to mount where you need it, all ModStations include a set of screws as well as a panel of 3M removable adhesive that's also magnetic (so you can mount ModStation to any magnetic surface, like a fridge or steel door).
Stop searching for your stuff.
Streamline your routine.
And take back your time.
Everyone's needs are different, and we're excited to hear how Ferris adapts to meet yours :)
DIY: How to Customize Your Ferris
- Ferris is modular. Each element of the Ferris System has its own pledge level: KeyLoop, KeyFolio, ModWallet and ModStation. Each can stand alone and will work perfectly fine on their own, or create a combination to best meet your needs (see Ferris Recommendation Matrix below).
- Want additional items? We want you to have the best Ferris experience, so all Add-Ons are at Early Bird prices! It's a great deal for all who pledge– so they're only available as Add-Ons in addition to one of the Pledge Levels. 1. Select a Pledge Level. 2. Grab a calculator and check the green Add-Ons Menu above. 3. Enter your total as the amount for your pledge.
- The "Easy Button" = Pick one of the KITS (assortments at a discount). It's the perfectly easy way to get started with Ferris. You can pick a KIT from the blue menu above and call it a day, or add additional items to your KIT by doing the math and entering the total amount for your pledge.
Our Best Advice: Pledge at the level that looks good to you, and relax knowing that you'll have the ability after the campaign to adjust your pledge and select colors. You can also message us with what you carry, we're happy to make recommendations! Or check our Ferris Carry Guide– count what you carry, then click to enlarge:
We've been designing products (and eating noodles) together for over a decade, and this is our 9th Kickstarter– our very first was in 2012, when our Snooze iPhone Stand literally kickstarted our new business. The excitement and feedback we receive from the crowd-funding community plays an integral role in how we bring new products to the market. We've delivered on every single Kickstarter, so you can feel confident backing this project.
For the past two years, we've gone through countless prototypes to refine our ideas and work through all the details. We've listened to what frustrates you about your daily items, and we're excited to share our hard work with you.
The Ferris Collection is our biggest undertaking to date, and we're back on Kickstarter because we need your help. We're seeking the funding that we need for materials and manufacturing for the first Ferris production run.
We're working with trusted manufacturing partners whom we've worked with before– and in January we relocated to Asia so we can be close to the factory to ensure everything runs smoothly. As production progresses we'll keep you informed along the way, and let our Backers in behind the scenes with updates while we work to bring Ferris to life.
Last but not least: We need your help to get the word out about Ferris– every share helps!
We're super excited to be back on Kickstarter with you, and we truly hope Ferris makes your life a little easier :)
Nate and Lindsay would like to thank our friends and family while they've been on this tireless product-development adventure across the globe! A special shout-out to those who made this campaign possible:
- Josh Kozono: Video Production, Lighting, Sound, and Editing. Arigatou gozaimasu Josh and Jun for sharing your warm home, and for the tastiest takoyaki in Tokorozawa!
- Rebecca Pollett: Customer Support and Charleston Office
- The Mills Fabrica: Co-Working Studio and Prototyping Lab in Hong Kong
TIMELINE for Production and Delivery
Testing and shooting has all been done with hand-made samples. This allows us to make big changes and little tweaks along the way; the latest set of samples (what you see in the video) is incredibly close to what Ferris will be in production. To get these samples and stay on schedule, we were down to the wire, but our fantastic team made it happen (including a dash around Tokyo to locate the right FedEx)! Here's a basic schedule so you can see what our projected delivery date will be:
- MAY = Kickstarter campaign– BACKERS: We want to know your color preference (you will officially choose after the campaign, but we'll send out a quick poll to get an idea of the colors of leather needed for production).
- JUNE = We can initiate tooling during the campaign to help us get a head start on production– if we hit our goal! When the campaign closes, we will have already started on elements of production which take more time, like ordering materials and making the tools needed to create components.
- JULY = The first in-production samples will be approved. Packaging production will begin. Product production continues; we will inspect at the factory.
- AUGUST = Production is completed; we will inspect at the factory.
- SEPTEMBER = Delivery to Backers begins!
Risks and challenges
We're confident we can see this new family of products through to a level that will make US proud and YOU a happy Backer. Before we started Distil Union on Kickstarter in 2001, we worked together on hundreds of products for big brands. Surprises happen along the way in any project, and luckily with all of our experience, we've learned ways to minimize risks:
+ working closely with trusted manufacturers
+ setting comfortable, realistic schedules
+ doing thorough work in advance (our due diligence as designers)
+ applying what we've learned in all eight of our successful Kickstarter campaigns
We have a reassuring track record of 8 successful product launches on Kickstarter, each with on-time delivery. You can trust we're going to design something useful, execute it well, and get it to you when we say we will– with informed communication along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter