PLAY CHASM DEMO 1.05!
- Windows: Download (Requires XNA 4.0 runtime)
- Mac (OS X 10.5+): Download (Req. Mono Framework, opt. 360 Gamepad Driver)
- Linux: Download (see official Linux thread)
NOTE: We'd love to do every single goal listed here regardless of the amount raised, but we will be constrained by both time and money. If we don't reach a listed goal, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be in the game. These targets are just a way to ensure you that it will be in the final copy on release day. We will do everything in our power to get every single one of them in. They are ordered roughly by amount of content & time required, as well as how much longevity they will add to the gameplay.
- $160,000 - Extended Soundtrack - A digital double album: one of remixes, the other of demos, out-takes and unused material.
- $175,000 - Achievements - Challenging Achievements to obtain in all versions of the game. These won't be awarding you for pressing jump!
- $200,000 - Arena Mode - Battle waves of enemies and bosses in an arena for unique items after you complete the main game.
- $215,000 - Crafting - Search for long-lost recipes of rare items, and the difficult to obtain ingredients to craft them.
- $230,000 - Roguelike Mode - Challenge yourself with unidentified & cursed items, hunger, permadeath, & constantly shifting dungeons in this mode.
- $250,000 - New Game+ - Play through the game again with your character, battle harder enemies, and find an array of new items.
- $275,000 - Gender Swap - Play as a female soldier on the same perilous journey.
- $300,000 - Language Translations - Professional translations and localization into Spanish, French, German, & Italian.
- $325,000 - Extra Area - A seventh area added to the main game with its own unique challenges, treasure, and enemies.
- $350,000 - Community Choice Mode - Backers vote for their favorite from a selection of game modes by the developers.
Chasm (pronounced kaz-um) is a 2D Action-RPG Platformer currently in development for Windows, Mac, & Linux. Taking equal inspiration from hack ‘n slash dungeon crawlers (procedurally generated dungeons, loot drops, etc) and Metroidvania-style platformers, the game aims to immerse you in its 2D fantasy world full of exciting treasure, deadly enemies, and abundant secrets.
We are attempting to create an authentic retro experience similar to the games you remember. Chasm was heavily influenced by games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Diablo. If these games are your style, then this is the game you have been waiting for!
In Chasm, players take up the role of a soldier passing through a remote mining town on their journey home from a long war. The town’s miners have recently disappeared after breaching a long-forgotten temple far below the town, and reawakened an ancient slumbering evil. Now trapped in the town by supernatural forces, you’re left with no option but to explore the mines below, battle enemies and bosses, and increase your abilities in hopes of finally escaping and returning home.
Current and Planned Features
- Explore Metroid-like dungeons procedurally assembled from hand-crafted rooms in six diverse areas.
- Enjoy challenging retro gameplay and gorgeous authentic pixel art (320×180 native resolution)
- Discover new special abilities and powers to reach previously inaccessible areas
- Play how you want by equipping weapons, spellbooks, shields, and more to both hands
- Uncover random loot drops and rare items
- Battle massive bosses & mini-bosses
- Avoid devious traps and platforming hazards
- Includes Normal and Hardcore (Scored with Permadeath) Modes
- Leaderboards for Hardcore playthroughs featuring quickest time, least damage taken, and more
- Windows, Mac, & Linux versions with Gamepad support
Since James quit his job last year to focus on Discord Games, he has been relying on income from sales of Take Arms to keep the company running. He knew Chasm was a much bigger game than he could afford to make, but thought that if he could do it right, people would see the potential of the idea.
We met our initial goal of a playable demonstration, but funds for development are now depleted. Simply put, this game can not be made without your support. We've been waiting forever for a game like this, but game publishers today just aren't interested in projects like this one. With your support, we will be able to finish the game ourselves and give you a truly amazing experience. Your generous pledges will go towards:
- Living Costs: James and Tim still need to eat, pay bills, and afford life-giving coffee while they develop the game.
- Paying Artists and Sound Designer: We will need money to pay our wonderful team for their hard work.
- Polish and Improvement: Making sure Chasm is a quality, bug-free game with enough time dedicated to it.
- Business & Legal Costs: To officially sell the game, we need to keep up with administrative costs and other expenses related to the business.
- Promotion & Marketing: We will need to commission awesome final box art, promotional graphics, video trailers, etc.
Access to the Game
Your pledge of $15 or greater will get you a copy of the final game when it’s released. We do not know what will be our primary method of distribution, but regardless, we will give you a DRM-free copy for Windows, Mac and/or Linux. See below for estimated system requirements. We're aiming to be content complete early 2014 and then release the game by May 2014. This is subject to change, and the closed Beta will likely cause delays.
Pledging $30 or more ($25 for early birds!) will also give you access to our closed Beta. The exact date and details are still uncertain, but we will attempt to start it a couple months before the game is officially released to the public.The game will be highly playable at this phase (at least 90% content complete), but we will still be adding, removing and testing features. As a tester, you will have a direct effect on the game by playing and voicing your opinions and feedback on the private Developer forum. This also includes identifying any performance issues and bugs.
The requirements are subject to change. Chasm is being developed with older hardware in mind, and shouldn't be too demanding. However, due to how XNA's graphics system works, you will need at least a Pixel Shader 2.0+ capable graphics card. If you have any question of compatibility, please download the demo and try it out for yourself!
- OS: Windows (XP/Vista/7), MacOS X, or Linux
- Processor: 2ghz+
- Memory: 512 MB
- Graphics: Pixel Shader Model 2.0+
James is the founder of Discord Games, and serves as Producer, Game Designer and Programmer on Chasm. His two previous games 48 Chambers and Take Arms were released on Xbox 360 and PC, and have sold over 20,000 copies combined. He quit his corporate office job in 2012 to devote himself solely to the development of Chasm.
Tim has worked on both released Discord Games titles, and served as Lead Programmer on Discord's 2D multiplayer shooter Take Arms. He has been programming for over 10 years as both hobbyist and professional. He will be writing tools for content production in Chasm, as well as advanced engine features and gameplay programming.
Tony has worked as a 2D environment artist on over five released titles in the last two years. While environment art is his specialty, he worked tirelessly to develop Chasm's distinctive visual style. He will be handling the art direction and environment pixel art in Chasm.
Glauber has been working as a 2D game artist since 2004, on more than 30 released games (indie and commercial). His specialties are pixel art and animation, but is also very keen of game design and development. He will be handling sprite animations on Chasm.
Jimi has been writing music, recording and doing audio production for the last 15 years. In addition to his two albums and EP, he also wrote the music for both Discord releases (48 Chambers and Take Arms). He will be handling the music and sound effects in Chasm, as well as assisting with story and script.
Thank you and Follow Our Progress
- Website: www.chasmgame.com
- Forums: Talk about the game!
- Facebook: Like and share!
- Twitter: Follow us!
- Tumblr: Follow us!
- YouTube: Subscribe and watch!
- Steam: Greenlight this game!
If you have any questions about the game, please visit the FAQ at the bottom. If you’d like to reach out to us directly, drop us a line: email@example.com
Risks and challenges
Aside from normal game development risks that affect every project, the biggest risk is if James is suddenly unable to work. Rest assured, he rarely ever leaves his work space, so the chances of being hit by a bus are slim. The game would also not happen if we don’t reach our funding goal.
We have put a lot of time and energy into this game, making something that we feel passionate about. We have done our best to create a realistic schedule and budget for development of the game. In addition, we have estimated every cost related to kickstarter rewards, including shipping and physical items.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)