Lead Designer: Keith Burgun - Lead Artist: Blake Reynolds - Lead Programmer: Ido Yehieli
NOTE: Our tiers all provide the benefits of ALL previous tiers. So, the BETA tier includes the THREE-PACK, SOUNDTRACK, and PRE-ORDER tiers.
AURO is a turn-based, dungeon crawling strategy game that will be released on many platforms: iOS, Android, Windows, OSX, Linux, and more.
The simple-yet-deep gameplay is easy to learn, but difficult to master. AURO is designed to be replayed infinitely, with each game presenting fun and interesting new challenges.
The game is being developed by Dinofarm Games, the creators of the critically-acclaimed iOS/OSX game, 100 Rogues. Programming the game is Ido Yehieli, creator of Cardinal Quest. If we get funding, we can be done with the game in 4-5 months (Late 2012).
unique gameplay mechanisms, charming pixel art, an original soundtrack
and a whimsical sense of humor, we're trying to make a game that will
stand out from the crowd and will also stand the test of time.
If you like dungeon-crawling games like Diablo or our own 100 Rogues, or if you like turn-based strategy games like Advance Wars or Final Fantasy Tactics, then AURO is a game you'll enjoy for many years to come.
*NEW* STRETCH GOALS! ~
If we reach...
$10,000: We'll add more custom effect animations for specific events and more tilesets to the game. Essentially, a content-upgrade.
$13,000: A second playable class will be bundled with the game on launch. He's not designed yet, but he would have some significantly different rules about how he functions. Maybe he only has 1 HP, but he has all the abilities. Or maybe he has a new discipline tree, or his attacks don't knock-back, or something. Some kind of base rule that changes how he plays, dramatically (and new sprite art for him and such).
$16,000: A second story campaign mode, that features our added playable class.
$20,000: Campaign/Puzzle Creator! Create your own Puzzle Mode puzzles and campaigns with your own little stories, which you can share with friends! Exciting!Story ~
AURO comes with a story-based campaign which introduces you to the world and characters of AURO, while also teaching you how to play the game.
You play as the spoiled Prince Auro, who, for the first time in his life, is actually asked to go and perform a quest. Your father, King Omiron, is a weak man who is too easily pushed around, but the royal scholar Quillsh is able to finally convince him to stand up to you.
The mission is simple - get down to the bottom of the Kingdom sewers. But despite Quillsh's many warnings, childish Auro carelessly awakens an ancient evil that may be spell the end for his people!
- Turn Based Strategy! Quick, pick-up-and-play tactical decisions are what AURO's all about. Turn based games are great for mobile games, because they don't require constant, fixed attention. Further, they don't require as much tactile precision and timing on a touch-screen
- Rich "Disciplines" System! Study the destructive forces of the Fire skill tree, or the sneaky tactics of the Elude skills. Or find some new combination and learn to master it! Each skill has many uses and there are a thousand ways to play - get creative!
- Innovative, ground-breaking gameplay! We're doing a lot of things that no one has ever done before. We've done away with tons of conventions that simply did not make sense before in an attempt to create a super-focused, replayable game.
- Randomized Challenges! The levels, monsters, and items are all randomized each time you play AURO, meaning that it's infinitely re-playable
- Several modes of play! For those who like traversing an unfolding story, there is a Story Mode. If you just want an quick yet solid test of your skill, Normal Game is for you. If you enjoy puzzles, try Puzzle Mode! We plan to add many more variants in the future.
- Charm! We think you'll delight at the characters we've been developing over the past year for AURO.
- Quality Art & Music! We have a very distinct vision for what AURO should look and sound like. We hope you'll find it to be a beautiful piece of art on its own when it's complete.
- Cross Platform! Play AURO on your Android Phone, iPad, iPhone, iTouch while you're at work. When you come home, play it some more on your desktop Windows, MacOS or Linux PC!
Here's an article from our blog about the artwork for the game: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/the-art-barn-whats-involved-in-spriting-for-auro/
And here's one about the skill trees: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/design-process-for-auros-skill-redesign/
Why We Need Money ~
Anyone who's involved in game development knows what an incredible
amount of work it is. Painting, pixel art, animation, graphic design,
UI design, programming, game design, video editing, writing - the list
of disciplines required to put a game like AURO together is staggering, and yet, it's being made by only three people!
We really believe in this game and the real reason we're making it is that we think the world will be the tiniest bit of a better place when it exists. AURO is not just another game to us - it's the embodiment of all of our philosophies and the expression of our belief in the medium. It is our collective love letter to the idea of the digital game!
At least, it will be! But we really need your help. As I mentioned, AURO is being made by just three people. The amount of work - just raw man-hours that it's going to take to get it from its current prototype phase to a completed, polished product is huge. We're hoping that Kickstarter may be the way for us to pursue our passion and at the same time, be able to survive.
So far, Auro has been self-funded from proceeds from our first game as well as income from other freelance jobs, but we've reached a point in our development where we need to dedicate more time to Auro in order to get it polished and ready for release...and that's where you come in. The funding from this Kickstarter project will be enough to replace our income from doing freelance work and allow us to devote our time to finishing Auro, in order to hit our estimated release window of Q4 2012.
Every year, there are some great game ideas coming out of independent
developers, and there are great productions coming out of large AAA
studios. It's an exceptional situation when one team can do both things.
With your help, Dinofarm Games can be that team with Auro.
We thank you for reading, and please consider supporting our game!
About Us ~
We're Dinofarm Games. We appreciate any support you can give us in helping us to make this game.
Keith Burgun - Lead Designer. Designed "100 Rogues" and many other independent games. Writer for Gamasutra and several other blogs.
Blake Reynolds - Lead Artist/Composer. Lead artist on "100 Rogues" and many other projects. Has a Masters in Studio Composition.
Ido Yehieli - Lead Programmer. Designed & Programmed "Cardinal Quest", and many smaller projects which you can find on his site.
The cover concept image you see at the top (in the video thumbnail) was created by Hanzo Steinbach who helped us out a ton by making that lovely image for us. You can check out more of his work over at his DEVIANTART page.
- (30 days)