CRAWLING CORE PLEDGE - For only $75 you will receive the core game of Deep Madness which includes 66 miniatures and everything you need to experience Deep Madness. (This pledge level does not include the stretch goals from the first campaign.)
INVESTIGATOR PLEDGE - For only $120 you will receive the Deep Madness core game as well as every extra unlocked during the first KS campaign, stuffed into the Endless Nightmares and Uncounted Horrors expansions.
DEEPER TERRORS PLEDGE (For Returning Backers Only) - We are excited to announce a new expansion for this campaign: The Faces of the Sphere, which includes new, exciting rules as well as nine magnificent, disturbing new models. We also wanted to expand the story and show you more of the world of Deep Madness. As such, we will be bringing you a deluxe novel set in the DM universe, called Shattered Seas. Returning backers can get both of them with this pledge level. Returning backers will also receive an exclusive discount of 10%-20% when purchasing many of the add-ons with this pledge level. (Please note that this discount is only for those backers who pledged for an Investigator Pledge in the first KS campaign, including late backers.)
* You can choose German, French, or Spanish edition of the Shattered Seas novel for an additional $5 charge in the pledge manager after the campaign ends.
ALL-IN PLEDGE - If you choose the All-In Pledge level, which contains all the core content and expansions (plus some fun extras), you’ll save more than $66 off the price of purchasing everything separately!
ALL-IN PLEDGE (FOR NON-ENGLISH BACKER) - This pledge level contains the core game, expansions, some fun extras, and the three translation packs. You’ll save more than $66 with it! (Please note that this pledge level doesn't include the Novel - Deep Madness: Shattered Seas.)
TRANSLATION PACKS - The Deep Madness core game and all of the big-box expansions come in English. However, backers who prefer to read in German, French, Spanish, or Italian can choose to purchase the corresponding translation packs to receive all the rulebooks and necessary cards in that language. Every Epic Monster box and The Faces of the Sphere Expansion already contains cards in all 5 languages.
* Note: Cards without translated text are not included in these translation packs.
If you're a retailer interested in purchasing multiple copies of Deep Madness for your location then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll discuss how to best accommodate your needs.
As a thank you to our returning backers, we are offering a discount on these add-ons as long as you have chosen either the Waves of Madness or Deeper Terrors pledge levels. The amount of each discount is reflected in the following list.
If you're interested in purchasing any of these optional buys, click the "Manage Your Pledge" button in the top-right corner of this page. Next, click the "Change your pledge" button and simply increase your pledge amount by the cost of the items you'd like to get. We'll sort out what your extra money is going towards via our Pledge Manager, which will be sent out to you after the campaign ends.
The Faces of the Sphere Expansion will contain the rulebook and cards in all 5 languages.
The delivery time for Deep Madness: Shattered Seas is December 2019. You can choose German, French, or Spanish edition of the novel for an additional $5 charge in the pledge manager after the campaign ends. The physical copy of the novel will contain the cards for Lucas Kane and the special scenario in all 5 languages.
The Rise of Dagon expansion adds an all-new story that turns the world of Deep Madness on its ear. What truly happened to the Kadath mining facility in the early days of the incident, and how did the sphere actually awaken? You’ll find out in Rise of Dagon. In addition, this expansion adds several new mechanics that can aid you in your quest, or slowly mutate you into a hideous Deep One. Rise of Dagon also contains continuous chapters, meaning you won’t escape becoming something dark, wet and gooey just because you started a new scenario. It’s almost as if you’re playing through a book… One that you read long, long ago…
Enter the mind of Dr. William West, but be warned: once you’re in, you may never leave. The Oracle's Betrayal expansion takes place halfway through the core game’s story, taking investigators on a feverish mind-trip into a world fueled by shattered souls. Start the game off as a Victim and try not to have your essence harvested by Collectors. Fight to escape the nightmarish world alongside the Dissected, but be careful. Otherwise, you may end up becoming the puppet of Dr. West himself.
* Ravenous (working title) Epic Monster is included in All-In pledges.
The standalone Epic Monsters can be used in any scenario that does not specify a certain Epic Monster, radically changing whatever scenario you are playing and making the game even more difficult. You’re welcome.
The Art of Deep Madness features over 160 pieces of art from the world of Deep Madness, but it is much more than just an art book. Jam-packed with short stories and background lore, this book spans hundreds of years to give you a glimpse into the deeper universe looming outside of Kadath’s reinforced hull, while also further expanding the stories for some of the most important characters trapped with you on the inside. A must-have for any DM fan.
The following add-ons do not directly affect the gameplay or story of Deep Madness (or they duplicate components already included in the Investigator Pledge), and so they are not included in the All-In Pledge. However, they can certainly enhance your gaming experience, and so we offer them here to you as additional optional buys.
Plastic Token Pack II will only contain all 62 of the devoured effect markers found in the game, including the ones in the core box, Rise of Dagon, and The Oracle's Betrayal. These tokens will be bigger, clearer, and simpler in shape than the cardboard markers.
Six 3D Locked Hatches are included in the Endless Nightmares Expansion. This optional buy is for backers who would like to boost that total to 12 in order to match the quantity of the cardboard ones included in the core game.
While we have developed or are developing numerous expansions to enrich the Deep Madness experience and expand the story, we’ve said from the first time this campaign was unveiled that we didn't want our returning backers to have to spend a boatload to get the new stuff if they already sold a kidney during the first campaign. Therefore, we have curated those projects that we feel are currently the most meaningful or impactful to the world of Deep Madness, and are presenting those here for you.
The Faces of the Sphere expansion is actually the intersection between Deep Madness and its upcoming prequel, Dawn of Madness. In addition to being playable in DM, these figures will also be compatible with Dawn of Madness. When DoM finally goes live on Kickstarter, backers who purchase The Face of the Sphere expansion in this campaign will be offered cards and components to also use the miniatures in DoM.
Deep Madness is a cooperative board game for 1-6 players that features incredibly detailed miniatures, truly immersive horror experiences, fast-paced gameplay writhing with tension, and deeply strategic challenges. Drawing inspiration from the works of H.P. Lovecraft as well as numerous films, books, games, and television series, this is a game that has evolved to truly become a world all its own.
Besides the massive number of highly detailed models, the beautiful cards, the high-quality accessories, and the unbeatable value, what makes Deep Madness a game you cannot miss? Here’s a brief look at some of its core features and game mechanics:
1. Deep Madness features immersive gameplay in an original world with engaging stories, deep lore, and numerous call-backs to many of your (and our) favorite movies, books, television series, and video games. It has a cohesive narrative (with each scenario serving as a chapter in the full story), terrifying micro-stories on each madness card, and backstory on every consciousness and investigator card. Every detail serves to plunge you deeper into the Kadath deep-sea mining facility, experiencing the hellish nightmares right alongside the investigators. Deep Madness is the game horror fans have been waiting for.
2. DM has 21 vastly divergent scenarios across all its expansions. Every scenario blends story, setting, and gameplay to form unique objectives, rules, and strategies. Thus, each scenario is a radically different experience, forcing you to approach each one from a new perspective and playstyle.
3. DM contains 26 investigators with different backgrounds, personalities, and stories. Every investigator is uniquely designed, with each one bringing a new strategy to the game. Different sets of investigators will solve a scenario in completely new ways.
4. No player is insignificant in DM. Each of your decisions can mean life or death for your entire team, but there is rarely an obviously correct answer. Close communication with your teammates, adjusting your (and the team’s) strategy as the game changes, is the only way to survive.
5. DM currently showcases 31 common monsters and 16 Epic Monsters. Each type of monster has a unique skillset (or AI) from every other monster, creating wonderfully rich and terrifying possibilities in every new game. Even when playing the same scenario, deploying varying combinations of monsters can make the game play completely differently. Players need to adopt different strategies to defeat (or escape) every kind of monster.
6. The order of investigator and monster activations is dynamic in Deep Madness. The monsters don't act after all of the investigators do. Instead, they alternate with the players. This can cause some of the monsters to act before several (or most) of the investigators, and the farther back the investigators are in the activation track the more dangerous the situation is for them. Throughout the activation phase, investigators need to stay alert and constantly reassess the situation.
7. The game board will change and have varying effects throughout the course of a single game. As the game progresses, investigators will find that the quiet, empty rooms they come across are becoming bloody, horrific nightmares full of unthinkable creatures and awful effects. The consequent negative effects in these freshly "devoured" rooms will remain all the way to the end of the game. There is no way to predict what room will be devoured in which order, either: it is determined randomly throughout the game.
8. As the rooms are randomly devoured, so the monsters also spawn at random. Monsters may appear in any devoured room rather than at only a couple of rigidly fixed, predetermined points. It is not at all uncommon for a horrific monstrosity to pull itself out of the ground right beside you. This random monster spawning mechanism fills each round with uncertainty so that there is a constant tension as you are playing. However, at the same time there is a certain level of predictability in that only one space on a devoured tile can spawn monsters and only a set number of spawn cards are resolved each round. This allows you to expect and even strategize for the unexpected.
9. As if the tension wasn't already thick enough, DM also features a ticking clock. Each game round you move closer to the end of the devouring track, and if you reach it your entire team will be instantly consumed. On top of this, each investigator has a limited number of actions, and each of those actions needs to count every turn if you want even the slightest hope of winning. Each turn the intensity mounts, because every turn takes you palpably closer to the end.
10. Deep Madness also features a variety of unique game mechanics. Flooded and Oxygen rules require you to choose the right location for and timing of your actions, because if you aren't careful you will asphyxiate or drown. The Sanity/Madness mechanism, meanwhile, requires you to balance staying sane with achieving feats you couldn't otherwise accomplish. The unique hatch locking mechanism also showcases an important rule in DM: the goal of the game is not to kill monsters. It is to survive. And sometimes the most effective way to do that is to run away and hope the door holds.
11. Last but not least, in case you hadn't guessed already, this game is HARD! (And, as they say in programming, this is a feature, not a bug.)
What makes Deep Madness different from other miniatures-heavy board games? CoOp Cast created a podcast that dissects Deep Madness and shows what makes it tick. (The answer's pretty surprising!) Listen to it for yourself.
Learn to Play/Playthrough Videos
Game Play Scenario One 1-3 (One Stop Co-op Shop)
Game Play Scenario Two 1-3 (Rolling Solo)
Ah, shipping. The bane of every big Kickstarter. In our first campaign, we got estimates from several transportation companies, and they gave us figures that seemed relatively reasonable. The problem was, they left out big parts of the picture. They failed to mention that the pallet used for packaging will take up 30% more space than we anticipated, or that if a container isn’t full then the price will skyrocket. Then there are insurance costs, customs clearance fees and taxes, and the cost of land freight from the dock to the warehouse – all of which were much higher than we initially anticipated. The labor cost of packaging was also very high, which we had not considered prior to it smacking us in the face.
All that being said, we will have to increase the shipping costs for this campaign. Now, don’t worry – by and large it's a small increase for most parts of the world. Please believe that we have made many, many efforts to reduce shipping costs, and we will continue to work to keep shipping low.
The following is the shipping cost form that we have compiled based on our current quotes and professional estimates. We wanted to be completely transparent with you up-front, so that you could have a very clear understanding of what the shipping costs will be later on depending on your order and location. We care about you, and we feel that it is our responsibility to lay this out for you here, without any sugar-coating, so that you can make an informed decision about backing Deep Madness. (Shipping will be charged after the campaign is completed in the pledge manager.)
* To EU backers concerned about if we will ship from the UK, rest easy. While a port has not been selected yet, it will be a country in the EU. We are not aware at this time if there will be any additional fees or taxes for our UK backers following Brexit, but we will do what we can to minimize any that may arise.
Diemension Games is a small team of creators, designers and gamers spread across the US and China. Working with some of the best artists and sculptors from around the world (including Christopher Shy, Chang Yuan and Big Child Creatives), we strive to achieve excellence in our products, rampant fun in our games, and gooey tentacles in our monsters.
A lot has happened in the board game industry since the trust of almost 9,600 backers brought Deep Madness to life. Some creators have disappointed the community, and some backers have lost their faith in all Kickstarter projects. We may be a pretty small company at Diemension Games, but it is our pledge to rise above the stigma of some other Kickstarter companies and to always deliver a product that leaves you pleasantly surprised. Whenever and wherever possible we will go above and beyond for you, our backer community, always striving for excellence in whatever we do while constantly pushing ourselves to do better. We consider the trust that you have placed in us to be a very precious thing, and we will always do everything in our power to protect it. Thank you for being a vital part of Diemension Games.
Risks and challenges
Most of the products involved in this Kickstarter were previously produced during our first campaign, which was successfully delivered earlier this year. Because of this, the molds and files are already largely in place for production, and we feel the overall risk for this campaign is comparatively low. We also have very reliable manufacturers in place who have already produced high quality products for us. For the new items in this campaign, we have obtained more accurate schedules and quotes than we had going into our first campaign. When combining these facts with our increased knowledge of project development and management, we are pretty confident that the products will be delivered by the end of August 2019. Having said that, we still cannot guarantee this with 100% certainty, especially when taking into account Chinese New Year and the uncertainty of the international shipping process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)