- UPDATE #5 - 150% The Final Stretch
- UPDATE #4 - 125% Stretch Goal #1
- UPDATE #3 - 100% Success!
- UPDATE #2 - 79% and Going!
- UPDATE #1 - Halfway to Success!
Visit and share our website: baristablast.com
Barista Blast is a business simulation game (for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android) that puts YOU in control of a local café. You control everything from drink selection and advertisements, to furniture and equipment. It is designed to be accessible to all audiences. If you want to simply play the game, there are a number of recipes to start off your business with. However, if you want that fine control over each aspect of your café, you can specify the exact ingredients that go into each drink, minimizing costs and maximizing profit. That is, if you can make the drink right...
That's right! YOU are in charge of making the drinks as well! If you mess up on a drink, your satisfaction rating plummets and your tips vanish. If you take too long when making a drink, customers will get fed up with waiting and leave (potentially convincing other customers to leave as well!). Barista Blast is all about balancing your ability to make drinks, manage customers, and maintain a business.
A typical day on the job starts off with an initial report. It gives you a quick overview of your economic situation, allows you to adjust your drink selection, and purchase any upgrades you would like (this would be a great time to put out an advertisement block in the newspaper, for instance). Then, you open your doors and the day begins. Based on your overall approval rating, advertisement blocks, and drink selection, customers will enter your café and make an order. It is then up to you to carry out the order, properly making their drink before they get tired of waiting and leave. The more popular you are, the more hectic your day will be. Finally, when it comes time to close shop, you get an overall report of the day's activity. Gross income, payments, and customer reviews are displayed to you at this time.
Sound interesting? Let's go over a few of our key features that we have already implemented into the game:
- Over 20 commonly found drink recipes are implemented in the game for immediate use! You can make everything from an Americano to a Mocha Frappe on your first day of business.
- A realistic café ecosystem. Customers will request specialized orders (a little less chocolate, please!), pull up a chair, chat with other people, and spread the news of your new business.
- Manage your business in a dynamic economy. Having a slow day? Stimulate growth by advertising your café in the newspaper. Need even more of a push? Try the radio, television, or Internet!
- Purchase better equipment to make drinks faster. Customers do not like to wait long for their drink. Can't afford an industrial blender yet? Purchase some seats to keep the customers happy while they wait.
- Forgot what goes into a White Mocha Frappe? Check the recipe book to verify the ingredients. Just remember, the clock is still ticking while your reading, so be quick about it!
- Don't forget the tip jar! If you make the drinks right, customers will reward you with a healthy tip, and they might even push a few new customers your way.
What kind of developers would we be if we didn't have a few wild ideas we would like to implement? Here are a few neat things we want to add before the game's release:
- Jam to the radio while you make your drinks. Tune in to BLAST 101.4 and hear the latest café tunes, advertisements, and reviews while you work. This would be a great way to hear how your business is doing!
- Rent a larger lot for your café, allowing more customers to fit inside and enjoy their drinks.
- Have an idea? Let us hear about it in the comments!
It is always in our interest to strive even farther. We refuse to cut the game down in order to provide content for potential stretch goals. Our primary goal is to provide the best gameplay experience, and you will receive that. Therefore, all of our stretch goals will be enhancing the game further by other means (art, music, interface, etc).
- $1250 - Character Art Bonus Pack (5x additional characters per gender)
- $1500 - Café Construction Pack (3x additional café buildings)
- $2000 - Audio BLAST! Pack (Radio Talk Show for the in-game radio station)
- $2500 - Everybody in the $75 tier and up will receive a free Barista Blast T-Shirt!
Over the past two years, Kickstarter has given many developers, filmmakers, and product designers the ability to make their dreams come true. It cuts out that middle man. Those evil little minions in business suits that like to twist the developer's dream into a dark fragment of what it once was, all in the name of 'what the customer wants' *cough*notreallytheyjustwantmoney*cough*. Why do we need a middle man when we can reach out directly to you?
Kickstarter allows us to build the game of our dreams, without the negatives of a corporate investor. We have been investing as much money as we can out of our own pockets into this game, but we have finally hit the lint at the bottom. As you can already see, the game is very far along. At the current rate of production, It won't take long until we get it finished. But it won't be the game that we designed. For that, we need just a few more resources: sound effects and music, user interface, visualized upgrades, and mobile licenses. With your help, we can make Barista Blast into the best café simulation experience in the world!
Barista Blast is being developed by Danny Vink and Kayla Gonzales, two college students trying to survive through the classes on the way to our degrees. Kayla, who works as a barista, provides much of the insight behind the scenes of a café, while Danny spends countless hours of the night turning the ideas into relatively coherent code.
You might also be wondering who is responsible for the wonderful, hand drawn art found in the game? Much of the art you will find in Barista Blast was done by our artist, Huan Lim, whose other work you can also find here.
And of course, the rest of the team behind the scenes making stuff happen. What would we ever do without you? William Long, our resident car enthusiast turned programmer turned artificial intelligence. And Henry Martin...we like to keep him locked up...
All together, the team behind Barista Blast has several past releases to our names. Among those are indie MMORTS game, Dawn of Fantasy (505 Games, 2009), Petrograd (Space Cowboys Studios, 2010), Wasteland Defense (Fallout New Vegas, 2011), Tundra Defense (Skyrim, 2012), and Rocket Jump (Freddie Wong, 2013).
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge we may come across if this Kickstarter is successful would be acquiring the Unity Pro license. We have started a fund toward purchasing the license, and we plan dedicating a small portion of the Kickstarter funding toward the license, should we be successful. It still may not be enough, but fear not! Should the need arise, it has been voted that Danny will be put on a food restriction of beans and sprouts during the next month. His paychecks will be dedicated to the license fund, and we will continue with releasing Barista Blast!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We are using Unity.
We are looking to target PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Our goal is getting Barista Blast out to as many people as possible. We will be getting an OUYA when they ship out at the end of March. There is a strong possibility we will port Barista Blast to it, but our primary targets are going to be the PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android first.
We are doing our best to spread the word as far as possible. Any additional money we gain will go directly into the game, license costs, and marketing.
Support this project
- (30 days)