Design Like Mad: 12hr Design Marathon Benefitting Nonprofits
Design Like Mad: 12hr Design Marathon Benefitting Nonprofits
Design Like Mad brings together student and professional designers for a whirlwind 12 hours to work on projects for local nonprofits.
Design Like Mad brings together student and professional designers for a whirlwind 12 hours to work on projects for local nonprofits. Read more
Design Like Mad is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that brings together diverse talent for 12-hour “Design Marathons” to benefit nonprofits. Its mission is:
- To create stronger local and global design communities by promoting collaboration, networking, and dialogue between designers both in-person and online.
- To give back to local nonprofit organizations by providing pro bono design services they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.
- To engage local designers with their communities in a positive way.
- To give students the opportunity to participate in a "micro-internship" with professional designers in the setting of a Design Like Mad event.
You get to decide the next two U.S. cities to host Design Like Mad! For any donation $25 or over, you will get to vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city. After you submit your donation, you will receive an email with a survey asking you to vote for your city. If your city is one of the top 2 with the most votes, Design Like Mad is coming to you this fall!
Designer and founder Abby Larner saw a need for the opportunity for designers to collaborate. She hosted the first Design Like Mad in December 2013, in Madison, Wisconsin. The event was a huge success, and brought together 80 talented designers and developers to work on projects for 21 local nonprofits. Projects included branding and website design, print collateral, architecture, and interior design.
In 2014 Design Like Mad held 2 events in Madison, WI, and Portland, OR. So far in 2015 there are 4 events being planned in:
- Milwaukee, WI (May 2nd)
- San Diego, CA (June 20th)
- Madison, WI (October 10th)
- Portland, OR (Fall - TBD)
Design Like Mad helped a total of 46 nonprofits in 2013 and 2014. See projects from our past events.
For participants, it starts with a simple application. The application gives designers, developers, and nonprofits the chance to tell a little bit about themselves. With this information, we place participants on a team depending on their skill sets and the needs of the accepted nonprofits.
A week before the Design Like Mad event, participants get a chance to meet their teammates, their nonprofits, and other participants at a pre-planning meeting/networking night. Participants have about 3 hours to get to know each other and discuss the goals and needs of their nonprofit. This meeting gives teams a chance to put together a game plan for the Design Like Mad event. Get ready for a whirlwind 12 hours!
The Design Like Mad events run for 12 hours and are 100% free for all designers and developers. The experience includes: 3 meals, SWAG, raffle prizes, and much more! As the participants work hard in a room buzzing with creativity, nonprofits stop in for two critique sessions during the day. The excitement only grows during the last hour of the event, during which each team gets the chance to present the work it produced for the rest of the participants and members of the community.
Design Like Mad is unique because of its participants - the designers and developers that donate their time and talents to make a positive difference in their community. Since 2013 Design Like Mad has helped a total of 46 nonprofit organizations and strengthened design communities across the United States. Each Design Like Mad event costs between $5,000 and $7,000 and includes:
- Event Space
- A/V Equipment
- 3 Meals for our Participants
- Raffle Prizes
- Organizational Costs and Additional Materials (printing, cutting, computer access, etc.)
- To spread Design Like Mad to 2 more U.S. cities in 2015. This includes money to cover event costs in both cities.
- To support organizers in other U.S. cities that want to host Design Like Mad events. Since 2013 there has been a growing interest in hosting Design Like Mad events in other cities. We want to be able to help organizers with modern technology, 24/7 support with questions and concerns, website maintenance, and fundraising aid.
- To create an online platform to help organizers in cities throughout the U.S. manage their events. This platform will help with financial tracking, participant applications, team creation, and time management.
- May 26th: Kickstarter ends
- June 1st: Winning cities are announced and call for organizers (if anyone is interested in helping to organize, this will be their chance to get in on the action!)
- June 8th - Fall 2015: Planning for events in 2 new U.S. cities
- Fall 2015: Design Like Mad events happen!
$10 - Design Like Mad Sticker:
$25- Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city and 3 stickers:
After you donate $25 or more, you'll receive a message through Kickstarter requesting your vote for the next Design Like Mad city!
$35 - Design Like Mad T-Shirt and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$50 - Limited Edition Postcard Notepad and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$75 - Online Branding Workshop and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$75 - Design Like Mad T-Shirt and Limited Edition Postcard Notepad:
$125 - DLM2015 Reward Pack and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$150 - Online Branding Workshop, T-Shirt and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$200 - Online Branding Workshop, Limited Edition Postcard Notepad, and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$250 - Branding Workshop, DLM2015 Reward Pack, and Vote to bring Design Like Mad to your city:
$10,000 - Choose a U.S. city:
Thank you so much to all of the people that made this campaign happen!
Midwest Story Lab: Video Production
Drawski: Video Animations
And all of the artists for their contributions to the Postcard Notepad!
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenge with this project is hosting 4 events this fall. We have never had this many events running in the same span of time, and with our small team it will be a challenge to make sure we offer the best support and organization to each city.
The good news is that we have support in many cities from individuals who have already hosted events and are ready and eager to help make Design Like Mad happen! With their support, we will be able to make all 4 events a success.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)