I recently gave up the Apple Extended Keyboard I used with my iMac and was really missing the number pad. I said to myself, "Self. Why the %$#% isn't there a number lock function." Thus NumLock app was born.
NumLock enables the classic number locking function on your MacBook or Apple Wireless Keyboard. This makes one-hand touch typing of numbers possible for those that don’t have extended keyboards. Simply install it and enable it via Menu bar icon or keyboard shortcut of your choosing.
- Simple drag-and-drop install
- Runs unobtrusively in the background
- Works with any OS X app that allows text entry
- Menu bar item to toggle NumLock ON / OFF
- User defineable hotkey combination to toggle NumLock ON / OFF
- Preferences window
- Start NumLock at login option
- Apple Developer ID signing (more secure)
I have a working prototype of the app (unsigned) that I've been sharing with my friends. I'd like to make NumLock freeware and share it with the world, but need your help to make that a reality.
What the Money is For
I'll donate my time to develop and support the app. Your backing will help cover out-of-pocket costs, including the following:
- Membership to the Apple Mac Developer Program (required to sign the app).
- Delivery of the app signed with a Developer ID certificate. This makes the app more secure, as the Mac OS X Mountain Lion Gatekeeper feature can verify that the app is not malware and has not been tampered with.
- Hosting of the app for download.
- Snazzy NumLockApp.com domain fees (easy to remember!).
- Help desk & knowledge base hosting service fees.
Learn more at: www.NumLockApp.com
Thank you! Your kind support has helped us reach our original goal, which covered about 1 year of expenses. Additional funds help extend that period, and increase the likelihood that I can invest time in new features. Let's make NumLock even better, and useful for a wider range of people.
On to the Stretch Goals:
- $1,000 = Localizing the app into at least 5 new languages.
Even if you're already a backer, you can still help support stretch goals by sharing the project with friends or upping the amount of your existing pledge.
Risks and challenges
• My request for Mac Developer Program membership could be denied or delayed. This is unlikely, as I have been a member of the iOS Developer Program in good standing for 3 years.
• Demand for the app could cause my hosting provider to throttle traffic, thereby limiting the ability to download the app. If this were to occur, I would upgrade my hosting plan or switch providers.
• NumLock should work with any version of OS X 10.7 or later, but I have limited capability to test on releases older than 10.8.
- (30 days)