About this project
As see on:
If you have an Apple MacBook or iPad, you have a power brick with detachable AC adapter plug. The plug (affectionately referred to as a "duck head") is easily forgotten or lost when not being used. Like when you've been using the extension cable.
Your backing of this project will allow us to:
- Design a solution that is aesthetically pleasing
- Make it quick and easy to use. Just peel and stick.
- Use injection molding to mass produce the part, which in turn means: Available to more people, lower cost per unit, and use of durable ABS plastic to match your Apple power supply
I originally created a rough model in Sketchup and had it 3D printed to prove out the basic design. I'm not an industrial designer, so it's functional but the plug could be accidentally dislodged, and it's not as polished as I'd like.
Since then, I've been working with a product designer to improve the retention, make it more aesthetically pleasing, and insure that the tolerances are appropriate for the injection mold process. The final version will be made of gloss white ABS plastic, to match the Apple power brick. It will include a self-adhesive foam piece to quickly and easily attach to your power supply.
The holder fits pretty much any Apple AC power adapter that utilizes the duck head style adapter plug. This includes:
- MagSafe & MagSafe 2 Power Adapters (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air)
- iPad 12W USB power adapter
- Portable Power Adapters (iBook, PowerBook)
- AirPort Express (1st Generation)
Why do we need your help? Simply put, manufacturing is expensive. We want to use a process called "injection molding" to create a product that is as close to Apple quality as we can get. Unfortunately this requires a hefty set up cost. There are also quite a few steps involved with mass producing even a very simple plastic part. Our baseline goal should be just enough to cover the design and manufacturing costs to get this into production. A somewhat simplified view of the steps:
- Industrial design (make it work, make it pretty)
- Prototypes (one-off creations used to test designs)
- Tooling (metal cavity used to injection mold the plastic into shape)
- Production run (minimum order quantity required by factory)
Thank you for taking time to review our project. And it really is "our" project, as your backing helps independent Makers and entrepreneurs take ideas like this one from a napkin sketch to a real product that everyday people can use. Make your pledge and share on social media so that we can bring this to life!
U.S. Patent Pending
Risks and challenges
Taking any product from prototype to mass production comes with its own set of hurdles. I've chosen to partner with a industrial designer and manufacturer experienced in developing this type of product as a way to help mitigate risks as much as possible. This includes good faith estimates covering both costs and schedule.
I have several years experience as a product manager for high-tech hardware products, and have a firm grasp of what is required for successful New Product Introduction (NPI).
This is my second Kickstarter project. My first was fully funded, and delivered on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)