INVASION:LIVE is a 3D projection mapped performance like no other. If you are ready for an out of this world experience, bleeding bass music and eye melting visual production, this show is not to be missed.
This live performance takes the audience on an alien exploration through time and space as they discover the universe. This takes a turn as they descend on Earth to INVADE. Through stunning visuals and stimulating audio, we intend for our performance to display a unique multiplatform projection experience like no other.
This project was created by a small number of creative individuals based across the UK that have come together to bring this concept to life. Between the group we have created multiple videos, design packages and 3D projection mapped shows. Working for record labels such as UKF, Hospital Records, Drum & Bass arena and more.
We have decided to come together to make our biggest project to date and need your help!
What is INVASION:LIVE?
INVASION:LIVE is a 3D projection mapping show that incorporates full scale optical illusions, sound reactive animations and is fully controlled from custom mapped MIDI controllers operated by our team. The show combines the use of electronic dance music with sub genres including Dubstep, Drum & Bass and also Techno.
The theme of the project is inspired heavily by alien mythology and the unknown parts of the universe. Through extensive research and development we have developed graphics and video content that closely relate to this theme and create a narrative journey through space.
So what is 3D Projection mapping?
3D Projection mapping is an exciting young medium that combines both digital animation and visual projection mapping to create optical illusions that can be seen with the naked eye. When displayed correctly this method can create an atmosphere that questions the minds of the audience and creates the illusion of displacement, realisation and fractal reality.
With 3D Projection mapping we have produced and developed multiple live shows that have played in festivals, art galleries and also had their own headline shows across Europe. Examples of our existing shows such as "Virus" & "Project X" have helped us push our creativity but with Invasion:Live we want to realise our most ambitious project yet!
"We want to make something special and not only push ourselves as a creative collective but also produce a live show that connects with our audience ."
The bulk of this project has already been completed but we need your help to make this live production possible! Currently we have over 15 complex animations waiting to be rendered, with many more currently being modelled and tested. Alongside this we have the blueprints of our fully rigged structure. This measures out to be over 20ft wide and over 10ft high, a huge structure that we wanted to fully immerse the audience with our world and push visual motion graphics to a whole new level.
Currently we have developed a small test video displaying some of the animations that are going to be used within the show on a small scale model. The working test of this was called "Glitch" as it showed our progression towards this stage in development. You can check this out below.
We also have a collection of images that have been captured from both the physical model and inside our 3D software. These images give you a taste of our production and also allow us to display our work on a smaller scale.
Where will the money go?
For a large project like INVASION:LIVE a lot is involved. Construction costs, Projectors, Advertising, Venue Hire, and many more unexpected costs. We want to make the project as amazing as possible but to do that we need money and support along with our own hard-work.
For this project we have decided that a goal of £1,300 will cover all of our equipment and construction costs. But also to produce and distribute the exclusive perks we have to offer.
- The bulk of the money raised for this project is for our construction costs. The 'target' of £650 is a rough figure. This figure will technically vary depending on labour hours and materials selected for the rig's build. Our aim is to fabricate this out of MDF (Medium density fiberboard) this will act as both the frame and surface of the construction. The performance area of the structure is going to be made out of a translucent fabric material that can be projected on and lit from both sides. After the main construction of the rig each part will need painting with matte white paint as this is the best for the projected images.
- Following this cost, roughly £250 will be going towards projector rental. As this production is going to be on such a large scale we need the use of high powered projectors, around two projectors powering 6,000 - 8,000 lumens each. We will be aiming to use two projectors simultaneously to generate the best quality viewing experience for our audience.
- Onto the venue hire cost is approximately £350 to secure. This is for full use of all of the equipment and labour costs to run the night as securely as possible.
- The rest of the money is going on perk costing and distribution costs, making sure anyone who backs our project from £2 to £1000 will receive the best quality perk that we can distribute. We are making this for not only ourselves as a creative collective but to get our work out there and give back to our audience.
Where will this be performed?
In terms of our performance space we have been lucky enough to secure a venue within Lincoln, Lincolnshire. The Engine Shed is Lincolnshire's premier venue, with a standing capacity of over 1600.
The performance will be on April 28th 2014 and is FREE ENTRY.
So what do I get for donating?
For this project we wanted to make sure that every single person who donates gets something awesome in return. Below we have design renders of the perks we have to offer from our behind the scenes tier all the way up to the exclusive ultimate bundle!
What happens if we reach beyond our goal?
If we are fortunate enough to exceed our goal we have organised extensive variations of our existing perks and also plan to add many more of the project becomes popular:
- If we reach £2,000 we will remove the limitations on perks and be able to produce and distribute more perk content such as t-shirts, photo books and any other material merchandise.
- if we reach over £3,000 we will have more than one performance of the event. With this increase in funds we can schedule more showings of the performance.
- if we reach over £5,000 we will take the INVASION:LIVE on tour and showcase the performance in different cities, festivals and also be able to produce a feature documentary based upon our involvement with Kickstarter and show the progression from a touring perspective. This would be a dream come true for all of us and would love to have this opportunity.
Help share our project!
For project updates and exclusive content you can keep up to date with the project by following us on our social networks:
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/invasionlive3d
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Invasionlive3d
Follow us on Instagram: http://instagram.com/invasionlive3d
Please share the project and tell the world!
Risks and challenges
Project delays are the main challenge that we may face. Due to the complexity of the animations we use; render times can be a lot longer than our estimates. We intend to invest in some improved hardware soon which will decrease render times dramatically. If render times are still a problem, we will use render farms.
Another challenge we may have is the transportation of the rig itself. As it is a very large structure, we won't have anywhere to store it, thus meaning we will have to either hire out some sort of storage, create the structure in a way in which it can be folded away in some style, or we talk to the venue of the concert and ask if there is anywhere that we can hold the structure for a short time between construction and the concert date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)