About this project
The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is a feature film that began filming in 2005, and was released in 2008. Hence, 10th-ish Anniversary Edition Blu-ray. :) Hey, 2005 counts for something, right? The movie received a ton of support from the tabletop gaming industry, enabling real products to be featured in the movie, like Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition, Munchkin, X-Crawl, as well as nerdy comics like Knights of the Dinner Table and Nodwick. This support legitimized The Gamers: Dorkness Rising in a major way. It exploded over Netflix and Amazon and is now considered required viewing in RPG circles worldwide.
HOWEVER! This movie was our first film ever shot in HD, and it has never been released on Blu-Ray, until now. That means no one has seen this movie how it was originally intended! Even those who have seen the HD digital download have not seen this movie look as good as it does now. Thanks to Ben Dobyns and his digital mastering wizardry, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is now in the format for which it was intended. We have pushed the limits of the source footage as far as it will go!
Because the costs of authoring a Blu-Ray are so much more than a DVD, we are asking you to take up arms again and pledge your continued support in bringing this movie to its fullest potential. How awesome and loaded the Blu-Ray ends up being is largely dependent on the amount of support we receive from our loyal supporters.
There will never be another version of this movie after this, so we hope you will take part in making this the best version ever!
$21,000 - ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Dual-layer Blu-Ray Upgrade
We'll include as many of these additional features as we can squeeze into all that extra space! (Some contents are in SD.)
- MOAR SUBTITLES! D20, Dutch, French, Hungarian, Italian, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, and Serbian!
- MOAR COMMENTARIES! Development Team, Producers, Game Designers - Monte Cook, Sean K Reynolds, Ed Stark, and Stan!, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising Drinking Game Commentary
- "The Making of Dorkness Rising"
- Behind the Scenes Featurette
- 14 Deleted and Extended Scenes
- "Farce & Violence" Music Video
- SJ Tucker's "Playing DnD" Music Video
- "The Gamers: Humans & Households" Episode 1
- "The Gamers: Natural One" Episode 1
$30,000 - ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: New Commentaries
- An MST3K/Riff Tracks-style Commentary
- The Return of the Psychological Analysis: Commentary by Ben Dobyns & Chris Ode
- Villains: In-character Commentary
$40,000 - UNLOCKED!!!: A new Gamers short film for the disc!
We'll produce and release the post-credits "Shwarma" scene from The Gamers: Hands of Fate. This scene, created by Matt Vancil, connects The Gamers, Dorkness Rising, and Hands of Fate, plus sets up The Gamers: The Series and Gamers 4.
We've been wanting to produce this scene and blow your minds for a couple years and now is the time to make it happen!
$48,500 - UNLOCKED!!! Heroes In-Character Commentary
Sir Osric, Brother Silence, Luster (both of them), Daphne, and Flynn the Fine in-character commentary!!!
$54,000 - UNLOCKED!!! Pirates Commentary
Because you know, everything IS better with pirates.
$62,000 - UNLOCKED!!! Dorkness Rising Soundtrack
Backers at $50 and higher receive the digital download as part of their reward, backers at $150 and higher receive the CD as part of their reward!
$72,000 – UNLOCKED!!! New Wayne Reynolds Painting!
Backers at $150 and up receive an 18x24 posting of a new painting Wayne Reynolds painting as part of their reward!
$82,000 - UNLOCKED!!! Kickstarter Exclusive Dorkness Rising Campaign Journal
Backers at $150 and up receive an exclusive Dorkness Rising debossed UltraHyde campaign journal as part of their reward!
$92,000 - UNLOCKED!!! Kickstarter Exclusive Backer Patches
All backers at $30 and up receive the official and exclusive Kickstarter Backer Patch for this campaign as part of their reward!
$100,000 - LOCKED Google Hangout with cast and producers as the campaign closes in final hours. Also adds 1,000 Blu-Rays to our inventory
$104,000 - LOCKED Adds 500 more Blu-Rays to our inventory
$108,000 - LOCKED Adds 500 more Blu-Rays to our inventory
Backers will get exclusive video updates from the cast & crew for every 100 backers we get, along with other milestones we set to help drive awareness.
- 100 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Showertime with Scott C. Brown video PS, we reached 50% of the goal at 100 backers!!!
- 200 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Brian Lewis & Scott C. Brown thanks video. FUNDED AT 213 BACKERS!!!!
- 300 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Kickstarter Video Blooper Reel
- 400 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Pizzajitsu theme song ringtone
- 500 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Wayne Reynolds sketch art of Gamers 2
- 600 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Bard and Away video
- 666 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Demon Hunters RPG: A Comedy of Terrors Playtesting Kit
- 700 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Dorkness Rising Digital Wallpaper
- 800 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Ninja Dragon Riders Theme Ringtone
- 900 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Ed Gibbs Video & Bacon Waffle Video
- 1000 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! The Gamers: Second Edition Original Character Concept Art by Jen Page
- 1100 Backers: UNLOCKED Hot Tub Time with Don Thank You Video (we're so so sorry).
- 1200 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! First Draft of "The Gamers: Second Edition" PDF
- 1300 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Soundtrack Remastering Sample
- 1400 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! T-shirt Design Preview
- 1500 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Sneak Peak at the Villians Commentary
- 1600 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! The Shadow's Dungeon Pathfinder Adventure Module PDF unlocked for everyone at $15 and up!
- 1700 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! BackerKit Preview - Add-ons and Pricing!
- 1800 Backers: UNLOCKED!!! Dorkness Rising T-Shirt Progress Image and another Soundtrack song comparison.
Struggling writer Lodge (Nathan Rice) isn't asking for much: he wants his gaming group to finish playtesting his table-top adventure, rather than killing, looting, and debauching his fantasy world. Desperate to save the integrity of his story from the whims of his players' crazy characters - a horny bard, wild sorceress, and cryptic monk - Lodge allows Joanna (Carol Roscoe), Cass's (Brian Lewis) ex-girlfriend, to join the game. With Joanna's help, the group's characters trek deep into the fantasy game world to retrieve the Mask of Death from the evil necromancer Mort Kemnon (Geoff Gibbs). Will their choices in the game save their friendships in real life . . . or will Mort Kemnon triumph unopposed?
- The Gamers: Dorkness Rising feature in full, glorious 1080p!
- Subtitles: English, German and Spanish.
- Cast Commentary, Crew Commentary
- Trailers: The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, The Gamers: Hands of Fate
- Backer Credits
- Double the content! See the $21,000 stretch goal above!
In previous campaigns, we have included domestic US shipping in your reward levels. Kickstarter has finally adapted to making shipping much easier to track and budget for, so there will be a shipping add-on when you select your reward level. We continue to be disappointed at the high cost of international shipping, but our top people are working on that teleporter project. We expect to have that sorted any century now. In the meantime, we are also looking for international partners who can manufacture and distribute overseas to help keep those costs down.
Dead Gentlemen Productions is a group of filmmakers located in the Northwest Washington area of the Pacific Northwest. The group largely met while they were in college, formed an LLC after graduation, and have been making geeky comedy together for 15 years. Some members of Dead Gentlemen Productions went on to found Zombie Orpheus Entertainment with designs on solving some of the distribution problems afforded by Hollywood. The result is their Creator-Distributed, Fan-Supported model which Dead Gentlemen Productions has embraced completely.
Between Zombie Orpheus Entertainment and Dead Gentlemen Productions, we have created such titles as:
- Demon Hunters
- Demon Hunters: Dead Camper Lake
- The Gamers
- House Rulez
- The Gamers: Dorkness Rising
- JourneyQuest Seasons 1 & 2
- The Demon Hunters RPG and Brotherhood Orientation Video
- The Gamers: Hands of Fate
- The Gamers: Humans & Households
- The Gamers: Natural One
- Sketch comedy and live improv, like Gamers: Live and Hat Trick Pony
And we have much more to come, thanks to you!
Risks and challenges
We have experienced quality issues with Blu-Ray authoring in the past. To help resolve this, we are going with a proven company to author this Blu-Ray from start to finish.
A note on fulfillment: We are expecting to receive the inventory prior to departure to Gen Con in Indianapolis. We will not get to fulfilling this Kickstarter until after Gen Con, so mid to late August. Please be aware we are intending on selling this inventory at Gen Con and have factored in the extra inventory into the cost. Do not worry, we will not sell your copy(ies). But we will not have time to fulfill the Kickstarter before we go. Selling these Blu-Rays will help keep us financially stable, as we typically do quite well at Gen Con. The other rewards however, will not be offered at Gen Con. Just the Blu-Rays.
That said, being that we have not worked with this vendor for Blu-Ray authoring before, there may be delays that move us past our ability to sell at Gen Con. We will make every effort to be clear in our communications and set the correct expectations so that we get the best quality Blu-Ray possible, and reach our fulfillment goals. If all goes well we hope you will be receiving your rewards by the end of August or beginning of September at the latest.
We will be using BackerKit once again, which has proven invaluable for fulfilling rewards efficiently, as well as raising more money for the project after the campaign has ended. The typical survey you get after the Kickstarter will come from Backerkit, and we will send that out 1-2 weeks after the campaign has ended.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)