A book and world 20 years in the making. Before there were brothers in an Impala, before there were Shadowhunters, before even Hogwarts made it to the big screen, there was:
You can catch up on all the Demon Hunters here. You may not want to be sober. Go ahead, we'll wait.
For those who are new to world of Demon Hunters, it is kind of like Men in Black, Buffy, and certainly at times, the Twilight Zone. We'll explain below.
The world of Demon Hunters. This has been our world, in a variety of forms, for 20 years. Originally created by Matt Vancil, who also created The Gamers, JourneyQuest, and Hopjockey, Demon Hunters was our start to EVERYTHING. And it is a fleshed out, well-formed and heavily invested universe. It inspired significant development in Matt Vancil's Hopjockey universe. It is connected to The Gamers universe. It gave inspiration to the development of the character The Shadow! The Shadow? Yes, The Shadow. And these stories inspired further development back into the Demon Hunters world.
Demon Hunters also first brought together the people who would go on to found Dead Gentlemen Productions and Zombie Orpheus Entertainment, the people who created The Gamers movies, JourneyQuest, and Strowlers. We created TWO full length feature films in college in this world!
It is a world that was opened up to a Shared Cinematic Universe license last year, when fans funded our newest webseries, Demon Hunters: Slice of Life. This license allows you to able to create your own Demon Hunters projects. But in order to create your own projects, you have to know how the world works, what’s in it, and the tools to build your story. In other words, we needed to take all of this amazing development from the past 20 years and put it into a book, a Demon Hunters World Bible, complete with art and other works that capture the imagination. A world bible where we offer YOU the chance to help us flesh out the world even more with monsters, heroes, local events and even universe altering consequences.
And, Demon Hunters has a story that deserves to be completed. The story of Chris Weiner and Gabriel, and their arch nemesis: the wise-cracking mega demon, Duamerthrax the Indestructible. They’re still trapped in Hell. It’s time to find out what happens in a new, Army of Darkness-style stand-alone third and final feature film of the Duamerthrax saga.
This campaign will fund both the Demon Hunters World Bible and the development of the Demon Hunters 3 script.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ACTUAL MOVIE?
This campaign is not funding production budget of the film. Our goal is to get this script in budgetable, producible shape. Once the script is finished we will start on preproduction, and hopefully next year we will be coming at you with a plan to film the movie!
Want a rather biased NSFW recap of our history? Check this out:
The Demon Hunters creative team is increasingly expanding, comprised of incredibly talented writers, actors, directors, photographers, illustrators, and Don Early.
- Don Early - Showrunner, Producer, Actor
- Jimmy McMichael - Keeper of the Canon, Producer, Writer
- Ben Dobyns - Executive Producer
- Sarah Moore - Writer, Filmmaker, Actor
- Marc Studer - Art Director, Writer, Photographer
- Carol Roscoe - Writer, Producer
- Dr. Susan K. Rowan-Nelson and Dr. Eric Nelson - Editor
- Jacob Blackmon - Illustrator
- Mike Leonard - Illustrator
- Nick Kremenek - Illustrator
- L.J. Stephens - Layout
- Emilie Rommel-Shimkus - Proofreader, Writer, Actor
- Scott C. Brown - Patch Designer, Actor
Everyone on this team has extensive experience in their field and have delivered incredible work in the past, and we’re excited to work together on this venture.
The stories are true. All of them. The myths, the folklore, the urban legends and campfire tales. Every god and goddess ever worshiped. Vampires and werewolves and zombies—oh my! Even the thing with the furry tentacles under your childhood bed that your mommy told you was just your imagination. All real. The world is a lot weirder than we give it credit for.
It’s also a lot more dangerous than most people think. Those stories don’t usually have happy endings. The creepy crawlies are out there, lurking in the dark, and they’re hungry. Or angry. Or just plain evil and looking to make somebody hurt. That’s where we come in. The Brotherhood of the Celestial Torch. In the name of all that is Good, we fight the forces of Evil. And we’re damn good at what we do. If we weren’t you’d probably have heard of us by now.
We’re Demon Hunters.
Welcome to the team.
The Brotherhood of the Celestial Torch is a covert organization dedicated to protecting the Earth from the forces of Evil and keeping the secret world of the supernatural under wraps. Which is a fancy way of saying that they’re Demon Hunters. Also vampires, werewolves, zombies, dark wizards, mad scientists, unnameable horrors from beyond spacetime…look, it’s a long list. “Demon Hunters” is quicker.
Supported by a myriad of benevolent pantheons, the Brotherhood has existed for thousands of years. What began as a strictly “mortals and semi-divine only” organization has grown over the centuries into a welcoming and inclusive organization employing not just humans and demigods, but mystics, psychics, countless species of supernats, some semi-sentient AIs, and even one demonic agent. As far as the Brotherhood is concerned, nobody is born Evil. Evil is a choice, and anyone who chooses otherwise is welcome to fight on their side.
Much like The Strowlers World Bible and the Fartherall World Bible and Campaign Setting (in progress), this book is the definitive guide to the world of Demon Hunters. You’ll learn all about the world-saving organization of The Brotherhood of the Celestial Torch, other factions, the real cosmology and history of the universe, creatures, magic and science, and a whole lot of canon characters. Contained within these pages are ALSO story-crafting tools, the license and instructions on how to use it, and a ton of gorgeous photos, art, and more. It's also about 80% written! We've left some room for the additions from this campaign. :)
SPECIAL NOTE: If you own the Demon Hunters: A Comedy of Terrors roleplaying game, you will find a lot of the same information, verbatim in many cases. THAT SAID, we have updated the content for a non-rpg audience and added additional canon not found in previous works.
Backers at the $35 level and above will benefit from stretch goals that expand the production value of the book considerably. If we hit the MORE ART! Stretch goal, then everyone $10 and up will benefit from the added content.
- $16,000 - Upgraded to 100# Silk Paper
- $20,000 - Upgraded to Hardcover
- $23,000 - Locked
- $24,000 - Locked (Final book material upgrade)
- $29,000 - Locked
- $34,000 - Locked
- $70,000 - Demon Hunters 3 Trailer!
The script this campaign will fund does not have an official title yet. It's just "Demon Hunters 3" for now. But it's definitely based on the concepts we've been working on for years, back when it was "Demon Hunters: Nox Aeterna", to the more recent, "Demon Hunters: Hell Yeah!". Ok so more about that last one:
In 2016, Matt Vancil completed his final draft of Demon Hunters: Hell Yeah! A script we commissioned from him that was thoroughly enjoyable, and most importantly, took all of the ideas we’ve had for the past more than a decade and put them pen to paper. It is a script for a movie that is very expensive to film. However, it captured the humor, the spirit, and the ideas we’d asked him to put together. Then he got crazy busy with things like his Hopjockey book The Stray and the Hole in the Stars, and you know, projects like JourneyQuest Seasons 3.5, 4, and 5.
For the next two years we went back and forth about what we wanted to do next with Demon Hunters on screen. Reboot the films? Remake the story? Create a new story? We pursued many options, but they all came back to this story. The conclusion of the story with Chris, Gabriel and Duamerthrax. We have always had the film Army of Darkness in mind as a model for doing this film. And as Duamerthrax himself said, the problem with Demon Hunters: Hell Yeah, is that it didn’t work as the first film in a series. It requires way too much backstory.
Then Carol Roscoe (you may recognize her as Joanna/Daphne from The Gamers movies) raised her internet hand on Facebook and said, “Let’s talk”. We did, and were BLOWN AWAY by her ideas, her immediate understanding of the story, the characters and the humor. She did a rewrite for us as a proof of concept, which added incredible hilarity and also pathos and depth we never knew was even there! But it became apparent that we needed a full new script from the ground up that would accommodate a budget we could reasonably afford.
Carol brings a much needed breath of fresh life that our story and world need and we can’t wait to get started on this new script!
A professional actor, writer, and director for theater and film, Carol's work has been seen in over 100 stage productions locally and nationally. She’s been a part of the DG/ZOE family since Dorkness Rising. Carol’s writing credits include several plays for the stage and a couple of screenplays, including this one. She’s at work on her first horror novel.
Aside from our unceasing thanks, the most valuable reward for pledging is helping us craft this world and continue the story. Our reward budget is putting 80% of the dollars raised straight into the production budget! The other 20% goes to Kickstarter and credit card fees, campaign management, and creating some exceptionally badass rewards!
- CREDIT & WORLD BIBLE PDF - Your name in a special credit section of the book! And of course the complete digital edition of the Demon Hunters World Bible. You are amazing and you deserve to be thanked by name. Of course we WILL read EVERY. SINGLE. NAME. Nothing rude, defamatory, or just plain evil, or you will be omitted.
- WORLD BIBLE & ART BOOK SOFTCOVER - A unique 8.5” square softcover edition of the Demon Hunters World Bible and Art book! This will look nicely next to the Strowlers World Bible and the Fartherall World Bible and Campaign setting. Of course if we hit stretch goals, this may turn into a hardcover or even leatherette hardcover! Yours at the $35 level.
- KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN EXCLUSIVE PATCH - A beautiful patch, designed exclusively for THIS campaign only, by the one and only Scott C. Brown! Included at every level starting at $35.
- DEMON HUNTERS FEATURE FILM SCRIPT SOFTCOVER - Wait what? We’re going to actually give you a copy of the script before we even go into production? Why yes, yes we are. This is the reward that will take the longest to fulfill, but we are blocking time and have ambitious deadlines, because you know, we’d really like to make this film! No, there will not be a PDF of this script. This is special. Just for you. Available at the $45 level and up!
- SIGNED BOOKPLATES - Designed by the talented artist, Jacob Blackmon, there will be TWO signed bookplates. One for the book, and one for the script. Available starting at the $100 level.
THE HIGHER LEVEL REWARDS
As always, any contributions to canon is subject to approval by the Demon Hunters Story Team.
- ETCHED METAL CANON CARD - If you’ve seen the amazing metal cards from JourneyQuest Seasons 3, well these are like those. These cards will have the details of your canon approved contribution to the world! Available starting at $125
- $125 - OFFER A SACRIFICE - Is there a type of person that bothers you terribly? A toxic person in your life that maybe, others can relate because they might know someone like that too? Well here's your chance to offer them up to the monsters of the night (and some during the day). We'll help you describe your target as an archetype, such as: "Politely racist coworker" or "Self-Absorbed, Manipulative Boyfriend. Then our team will determine what happened to your target and by what. Like "Infected with Lycanthrope from a Were-Chihuahua, then fell in a pool and was devoured by silver-teeth-enhanced piranha for science." I mean that's pretty involved, but it was a special case.
- $200 - ADD A CANON EVENT - You will submit an event that will be forever canonized, pending our story team approval. We will work with you to create a noteworthy event in the official Demon Hunters timeline. "Cyberorganic spiders invaded the Eiffel Tower in 1981, leading to the discovery of a cabal of mad scientists making significant advances in cybernetic technology. Chapter Theta 6 met their end in ultimately defeating the threat." Or something. We can get more specific than that too.
- $250 - CUSTOM 3D CHARACTER RENDER - We will collaborate with you on creating a character of your choosing, be it a hero, monster, demon, member of a known faction, or even just yourself, and our Illustrator, Mike Leonard, will create your own custom 3D rendered art depicting your character. This illustration will go into the book.
- $250 - (LIMITED 5) NAME A BACKGROUND CHARACTER - You get to name a character in Hell that we will incorporate into the Demon Hunters 3 script as a background character. This character will be named ON-SCREEN when we make the movie, either by a character saying the name, or appearing in a graphic, or something similar.
- $500 - (LIMITED 1) CREATE A FACTION - You will work with our story team to create a brand new faction in the world, complete with a faction symbol, a short summary of what they do, what they're after, and two named key characters that belong to this faction. This faction will go into the book, with an entry of up to 500 words.
- $500 - HEADCANON! - Get a 60-minute video chat with the story team to create an official piece of canon, be it a character, a story, event, a place, or something else! BUT this can ALSO be involve something that already exists in the world!
- $500 - (LIMITED 3) NAME A REGION IN HELL - You will name a region in Hell and this will be canon in the universe (pending approval of course)! We will also name your region in the script and ON-SCREEN either by graphic or by speaking it. You also get an exclusive printed 8.5" x 11" Map of the known regions in Hell. (This map will be available as an add-on in Backerkit).
- $666 - (LIMITED 12) CREATE AND NAME ONE OF THE 12 OTHER EARTHWALKERS! - You will work with our team to create and name, complete with honorifics, one of the 12 other Eartherwalker demons. Additionally you get to decide how and when your Earthwalker was defeated and by whom. You may also decide the Earthwalker's weakness. We will also commission a portrait of your Earthwalker from artist Nick Kremenek based on a description you give us, and/or your own likeness. All of this will go into the Demon Hunters World Bible, and you will receive an 8.5" x 11" color printout of the dossier of your Earthwalker.
We will charge for all shipping after the campaign in BackerKit. In order for your rewards to ship, you will need to pay shipping fees at that time. Do NOT add shipping fees to your pledge now.
• International Backers: expect to pay less than $17.00 in BackerKit for base shipping on the $35 reward.
• Domestic Backers: expect to pay less than $5.00 in BackerKit for base shipping on the $35 reward.
The Demon Hunters World Bible & Script campaign will be fulfilled by our partners at Ship Naked. If we have enough European pledges we will fulfill from the Ship Naked shipping depot in Germany. If not, we'll fulfill from the USA in as EU-friendly a way as we can manage.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our policy for excess funds pledged during the campaign is to spend them on producing the Demon Hunters World Bible & Art Book and feature film script. Any amounts that you gift over the cost of a pledge level will not count as credit in BackerKit. Only give more than a pledge level if you want us to spend your money making the book and script awesome.
If you are a creator and love the Demon Hunters world, you can create your own Demon Hunters projects! The Demon Hunters world, including the script we are creating, is under Zombie Orpheus Entertainment’s new Shared Cinematic Universe License Agreement.
What does this even mean?
It's like the Open Gaming License and Creative Commons had little license babies: it's an agreement that gives you permission to create, adapt, and release your own derivative works within the world of Demon Hunters!
Check out the web page for the full details, but the fast, dirty, and legally-nonbinding summary is that as long as you abide by the terms of the agreement, you have the freedom to create non-commercial AND commercial Demon Hunters derivatives. Make a roleplaying game. Shoot a web series. Create your art. Sell it if you want. Or give it away. It's your choice.
You, the fans, have made these works possible and this new agreement helps us give back. Come and play, you're invited!
Just remember to Share Alike, Transform (don't copy), provide accurate Attribution, and don't break the law.
Plus, if you want your creations to become a canon part of the world, we offer a path to make them official. And a cool seal. It's pretty awesome.
Thank you for 20 years of supporting us to create within the world of Demon Hunters, the Gamers, Fartherall, and more. From the beginning we have been fan-supported. Seriously. Ben Dobyns went around campus asking people for $20 so we could make a movie. And he did it! And we did it again the following year when we raised money for Demon Hunters 2! We continue to be a fan supported and creator distributed company and we exist entirely because of fans like you.
You have been there for us, and we are forever grateful and excited to finally complete this story, and to give you the tools to make your own creations. We have seen many of you inspired by our worlds, we are humbled by the connection we have with you all. Pledging here is more than just dollars, it’s an emotional investment in a shared goal. You're a key part of our community, whether you're giving one dollar or a thousand.
And a pledge is only part of the process. We succeed when we work together: to fund the campaign, to spread the word, to encourage the creators, and to create a community where everyone is welcome.
Welcome to the Dead Gentlemen and Zombie Orpheus Entertainment family!
Risks and challenges
We do what we can to reduce our risks and we’ve had a lot of experience both succeeding and failing. We build a campaign, a timeline, and our goal with a set of assumptions, but those assumptions cannot account for everything. Key creators get sick, families have emergencies, team members get unexpectedly swamped with other obligations, or even a product gets delayed at the manufacturer. We always deliver though, and our track record proves it. Additionally we now have an amazing fulfillment partnership with Ship Naked, a collaborative relationship with the team at BackerKit, and the support of a ton of people committed to completing our campaigns to your satisfaction. We are excited to move closer to the mind-boggling awesome and epic conclusion of the Duamerthrax saga of Demon Hunters, and to give you an amazing and beautiful resource for all things Demon Hunters. Who knows, maybe you’ll be the one creating the next major Demon Hunters project in our canon.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)