About this project
We were not satisfied with the durability and print precision of brass nozzles, because as more heat is affecting the nozzle:
- as bigger will the nozzle hole become (especially during long lasting prints)
- as softer will brass become
- and ultimately: the usage of abrasive printing material such as carbon fiber filament will do the rest and wears out the nozzle very fast.
These are absolutely No-Go's for 3D Printer Enthusiasts and especially for professional Print-Shops, Prototyping Services and Designers who want to offer their customers high quality products to a fair price because failures will rise the costs.
So we had the idea to scale down the tungsten extruder dies of the plastics industry to the size of a common 3D Printer nozzle and so our tungsten premium nozzle was born.
Nozzle Design Reloaded
more features and advantages:
- outstanding nozzle material properties: energy efficient / ensure high quality printing results
- Calibration efforts are more stable (constant layer thickness even during extreme long print-runs as well as during high temperature print processes)
- No extreme tempering effect. (Hardened Steel nozzles suffer a strong tempering effect caused by heat, which makes the steel softer.)
- Our flattened nozzle tip doesn't scratch glas beds unlike diamond / sapphire nozzles or not flattened nozzle tips.
- Another positive aspect is that there is no need for long lasting researches because it is anyway a reliable quality standard in the plastic extrusion industries and this lowered the developing cost of the 3D Printer nozzle and it grants a fast production after the crowdfunding campaign became successful.
- It has no tungsten nozzle tip in a steel or brass body instead our nozzle is completely made of a premium tungsten alloy which makes it more reliable and grants better thermal conductivity
- Made of a premium tungsten alloy which is generally used in the plastics industry or for aerospace applications
- not food-safe
- alloy contains small amounts of nickel (up to 3%)
- we also refer to:
German Wikipedia and the CDC Report: "Nach dem derzeitigen Wissensstand gelten Wolfram und seine Verbindungen als physiologisch unbedenklich." "You are not likely to experience any health effects that would be related to exposure to tungsten or tungsten compounds."
- Ref: CDC: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp186-c1-b.pdf - 1.5 How can Tungsten affect my health?
- Ref: Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfram - Abschnitt: Toxikologie
Why are (hardened/stainless etc.) Steel Nozzles not the best choice as a 3D Printer Nozzle?
Steel is harder than brass and a budget-priced material. But it comes together with some disadvantages:
- its low thermal conductivity causing higher energy consumption, so compared to brass, diamond, tungsten and its alloys etc. the steel version is the worst one.
- as consequence to the lower thermal conductivity it will need more effort in calibrating the right temperatures for each printing process
- hardened steel gets tempered during the printing process and thus it becomes softer than advertised
- Better expansion co-efficient than brass but worse than our tungsten premium nozzle
What did we do to ensure you a top quality product?
Already months ago before this kickstarter campaign we introduced our project to the 3D Printing Community and offered free samples worldwide for testing purposes. We announced it on various 3D Printer Magazines and Printer Boards:
Various research institutes, companies and leading figures of the 3D printing community evaluated our nozzles. With their support and feedback we improved our nozzle. The complete promotional event was expensive but it was worth it especially for you backers because it ensures that you will get a reliable and tested premium quality product!
"Genaueres Arbeiten, niedrigere Fehlerquoten und weichere Oberflächen sind nur ein paar der Vorteile, die DDDmaterials Wolfram-Düse zu einer wirklich lohnenden Investition für jeden Maker macht."
"Precise works, low printing error rate and smoother surface layers are just a few of the many advantages of dddmaterials tungsten premium nozzle. A worthwhile 3D Printer equipment investment for every maker."
Link (German): https://www.filamentworld.de/dddmaterial-wolfram-3d-duese/
Unboxing Video by Russ from rwgresearch.com
- M6 Thread (Compatible to a wide range of Hotends with M6 Thread, such as E3D)
- For 1.75mm Filaments
Which 3D Printing materials need high temperatures?
- Polycarbonate (PC) ~260° C ( 500° F)
- Nylon 250° C up to 300° C (482° - 572° F)
- ABS ~230° C (446° F)
- PEEK ~400°C (752° F)
Which are typical abrasive 3D Printing materials?
- white filament (the color white is achieved by adding titan oxide to the plastic)
- Compounds like various metal, wood, stone or carbon fiber filaments
- All nozzles get an Aluminium Nitride (AlN) Coating. AlN is an extra hard ceramic coating with high thermal conductivity & very low expansion coefficient. The coating is also used in the plastic extrusions industry for the coating of the extruder barrels and screws.
dddmaterial was founded in 2014. We generally focus on the construction of plastic extruders like our upcoming industrial extruder which will be released end of August 2016. And we focus on the development of 3D Printer Equipment for professional purposes, the manufacturing of 3D Printers and their print materials. Since 2014 we actively blogging about our projects, 3D Printing and plastic extrusion related topics. Check here our blog.
And in 2015 we introduced our projects to the public on the Maker Faire in Hannover, Germany.
Why do we need the money? Tungsten and its various alloys are compared to brass or steel pretty expensive metals, and the production of a tungsten premium nozzle as well because it is a much more challenging material. And last but not least: manufacturing just a small amount of nozzles would cause very high retail prices ($80 to $100 USD per nozzle). That's why we need your support!
Risks and challenges
Minimizing risks is one of our main concerns.
Possible risks could occur during transportation that the sending gets lost so all our dispatched nozzles are insured.
Tungsten prices sky-rocketing / Tungsten manufacturer suddenly rises prices. To lower that risk we sourced not just one manufacturer.
The product is not working as intended. If a nozzle is damaged you will get a new one and the nozzle works as promised. To lower such risks in advance we ran a free nozzle samples for feedback promotion before the crowdfunding campaign to ensure that they work as promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)