SOLO/DUO MODE! Gameplay Livestream VOD & Organic Skill Focus
I know, I know. I said I'd only work on it after the campaign, but I just couldn't help myself. Every time someone adds their vote for solo mode, my head invariably swirls with ideas on how to make it happen. In these past months, I've been so focused on planning everything that goes with a Kickstarter, I never realized how much I missed a good ol' game design challenge. And now that things with the campaign have slowed down a little, why not give it a shot?
And now, it's my pleasure to present to you what I've been working on...
Solo/Duo Mode: Chaos Royale
Solo & duo mode will now be a part of Endogenesis! It'll automatically be included in each of your game copies as an extension of the rulebook. Big thanks to our lore expert Ryan Mennen for coming up with the name and a really cool alternate-reality story on short notice!
I've created a thread on Board Game Geek with more details of what this mode will entail — click here or on the image above to check it out. If you're just looking for the headlines though, here they are:
- Where the original goal of the game was to defeat 3 Legendary Monsters and collect 3 Prisms, in Chaos Royale, your task now is to completely obliterate the Realm of Chaos. This means defeating ALL Monsters from the Realm of Chaos!
- Each Legendary Monster defeated opens up a character slot for a monster, up to a maximum of 3 slots. That means that later in the game, you'll be fighting up to 3 Monsters at a time!
- Unlike the original game mode, death is PERMANENT and triggers a loss.
- The 2-player variant is 100% co-operative, so you and your partner will win or lose together.
Please keep in mind that certain details might change in future. We've only done 15 playtests so far, though they've been looking very promising!
Playing Endogenesis with Table Crashers
Last week, I had the pleasure of demoing Endogenesis on Tabletopia to Matt, Will and Gil from Geekspiel's Table Crashers — check out our session below. Gameplay portion of the video starts at 22:10 onwards.
And now, on to our next Skill Category Focus...
Skill Category Focus: Organic
"Celestial bodies revolved with the mechanic accuracy of one plane, circling a giant manifestation of the entropic energy of one other plane, and gifted to perceive the mythic beings of yet another plane, ironically branding them gods, their simplicity a gift of being organic." - Description of the organic plane, from the Origins of Endogenesis
Organic Skills are themed on Health restoration and using your life force to empower the potency of abilities. It's ideal for players that like to play defensively. Skills reach their peak earlier than later, allowing players to focus on buffing their Health later on in the game.
- Powerful defensive abilities that can be used to prevent death, or negate high amounts of damage.
- Skills are powerful for their energy costs in the early game.
- Very high survivability due to the fact that many skills provide health restoration.
- Skills require you to have high maximum Health in order to be effective.
- Tends to be weaker in the late game versus other Skill categories.
- Class bonuses are powerful, but are almost entirely defensive.
Nettle Swarm + Thorn Burst + Vine Leech: The closer you are to death, the more potent this combo is. Use Nettle Swarm and Thorn Burst to deal Damage to both you and your enemies, and then finish off with Vine Leech to deal massive amounts of multi-target damage, while restoring your Health back to full!
Transfusion + Crimson Tides: Use Transfusion to soften your enemies and restore any missing Health, and then Crimson Tides to finish off them off. At its maximum power, Crimson Tides either restores up to 7 Health to your character, or deals up to 7 Damage against two enemies, making it a versatile skill for offense or defence.
That's all for the Organic Skill Category! As always, let me know your questions in the comments below. We'll be covering the Entropic Skill Category next. I'll also be sharing more about the new stretch goal soon (especially excited about this one), so hang tight!