iClassics – Reimagining Poe, Wilde, Lovecraft & more ...
iClassics – Reimagining Poe, Wilde, Lovecraft & more ...
Interactive apps to promote the reading of literary classics for all ages. Let's make it bigger and better together! #SaveTheClassics
Interactive apps to promote the reading of literary classics for all ages. Let's make it bigger and better together! #SaveTheClassics Read more
If you've found this amazing project but it's too late to pledge... don't worry, you still can be part of it! Help us with a donation and find our more about iClassics at www.iclassicscollection.com !
Help us with a donation: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=9WKYDP2J8SYPJ
You can also:
[Proyecto EN ESPAÑOL: http://bit.ly/iclassics_spanish]
Hi, iClassics and Play Attitude here. We've teamed up to do something bigger together. We have a dream that we believe is great and relevant, and we’d love you to join our cause. Keep on reading, and judge for yourself if you would like to help make iClassics a reality.
"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." Mark Twain
TO PROMOTE THE READING, WE REINVENTED THE CLASSICS
- Collections of App Book for smartphones and tablets
- Original tales (no adaptations — no cuts) from classical authors such as Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, C. Dickens, etc.
- Enhancing elements. Every piece is outlined considering the role of illustration, animation, and original soundtrack as a little part of an audio-visual and interactive experience.
- To read in different languages: English, Spanish, French, and more to come.
What it looks like ...
"To read a classic should be a pleasurable act, a product of absolute freedom, not a waterway to sink us without mercy on intellectual chagrin" Pablo Hernández Blanco
iClassics is not a finite project; it is a concept for a new format of entertainment that might be enlarged by creating new content forever.
Get hooked on these authors who were ahead of their times, and inspired new generations with their stories!
What readers say:
"I am a college professor in Phoenix, Arizona, who teaches American and British literature. In an age where students are increasingly disinterested in reading, what you are doing at iClassics is invaluable in introducing the magic of literature to the next generation. The combination of literature and interactive video-game-like interface is the perfect combination to entice young students today to read and appreciate what literature brings to their lives. I cannot thank you enough for setting the standard for these types of apps. I absolutely love reading the iClassics apps myself, and do so every time I prepare to go into the classroom and deliver a lecture. Thank you for everything." Phillip Roderick
"What a wonderful idea this was. Took a second to get the flow of the ebook (which really is what this is, just enhanced, you don't lose the pleasure of reading. You HAVE to have earbuds in) but once I did, oh man. The appropriately creepy illustration coupled with tension building music and ambience made me afraid to turn the page. Scary stories somehow made scarier. Truly a great way to read Lovecraft. I think I will expand my collection of this app. Thanks! Keep up the good work." Klandemann
WHAT WE BELIEVE WE CAN DO... WITH YOU
We believe this project deserves to be continued, and we are already working on new stories, but we lack the financial resources to produce them. With the initial funding we’ll be able to: (Check the budget expenditure below on the project page)
- To make all App books available for Android (also Kindle).
- To add a new language — Portuguese — in all apps.
- To give free access to 100,000 students, one new student per every euro we raise.
- To adapt the software to work across platforms. Do you own an Android tablet and an iPhone? No worries, you don’t have to pay twice, you can access the app regardless the device!
- To create a new collections by Jack London (Centenary this year), and more stories to come - Check Stretch Goals below on the project page.
WHAT WE HAVE DONE SO FAR... ALONE
We have been working on this project since 2012, and so far we have been able to create interactive collections of five authors - 3 volumes of Edgar Allan Poe, and one volume of H. P. Lovecraft, C. Dickens, O. Wilde and Conan Doyle - in 3 languages: English, Spanish and French - available for iOS devices - iPhone and iPad.
Do you want to try the iClassics experience? Check FAQ
We want every student to learn with iClassics. We believe this project has the potential to create a social impact among students in the classroom. The types of literature students are reading—and the difficulty level—matter. We demonstrated that iClassics are an efficient way to engage children with qualitative literature, and thus a great tool for teachers and schools.
- Interested in having iClassics in your School? There is a very special reward for you. Check the SCHOOL PATRON reward.
- Your school doesn't have the money to pledge and get the reward? We are aware this might happen, and we created iClassics Concessions, which means free bundles of all our apps for schools in need. One student per every euro we raise. If you are a school, library or university who'd like to participate in the program, please, fill [this form]. The list of selected schools/libraries will be publicly displayed on our website :)
We have created different rewards so that everybody may participate, whatever your curiosity or implication in this project.
- DIGITAL: Digital rewards mostly include the iClassics Interactive & Illustrated apps [the reason why we are here, actually], as well as some other goodies exclusive for Kickstarer backers.
- PHYSICAL: Treasures for the Early Members of our community. We love paper books also and we decided to make an amazing Collaborative Art Book called 'The Illustrated Papers of the Morlocks Society' [Update #3], a tribute from illustrator from all over the globe. There's also the option to get a Limited Edition Giclée print, the original soundtrack or a Golden Certificate.
- SPECIAL: If you believe this project is GREAT, and you also have GREAT MONEY, help us with this special rewards. There's a 'Hall of Fame' or rewards for Sponsors. Check them all below :)
We believe it’s very important that everyone can take part in it, and we started building a community that welcomes each of you to be part of this project. We curate Facebook Pages devoted to H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe and we'd like to create a common place where we can all participate, interact, collaborate, share our creations, get feedback from other members and so on. We started by creating the iClassics Community Facebook Group. If you are still reading this project, somehow it matters to you - subscribe to our weekly digest, the iClassics journal.
There are many people involved in making this project something bigger. We are looking for collaborators to participate during and also after this campaign. Are you a teacher? Researcher? Blogger? Video editor? If you also believe in this project, and you have a bit of time to dedicate to it - once a day or once a month - we'd love to hear from you! Fill in [this form] and let’s talk to see how you can be part of it. Form: http://bit.ly/iclassicsvolunteers
Illustrators participants - Art Book:
Some amazing illustrators from all over the globe joined our journey to spread the word about the project and offered their artwork to help raise money for this project. Below you can see the amazing line-up:
Juan Aguilera | Blog |
This project was born 3 years ago, and it was funded by private capital. We did many good things, but we couldn’t find a way to make the project sustainable. At the moment we have a great idea, amazing talent, magic technology and a lot of experience – the most difficult part – and now we lack the TIME - which means money – to put all the learning together to keep on creating. This is where YOU play a role, and this is the moment when we decided to Kickstart iClassics to make it bigger, together.
What are we going to do with 100K?
But this is only the beginning. Stretch Goals
This is all possible thanks to you, and also because of the big crew of amazing people who contribute their amazing skills working in a daily basis to make this possible. You can check 'who is who' on the website :)
If you'd like to collaborate to help us make the iClassics a reality you can contact us at email@example.com
Why you should show some LOVE and back it
- It is a socially relevant and wonderful project that deserves to be continued.
- You will get amazing rewards that won't be available afterwards.
- You participate in a project that brings classical literature to young people in an interactive way they love and for free.
- You will be supporting ordinary people to work in an interactive way they love and what makes us happy.
Special thanks to:
This project has been possible thanks to our family, friends and a bunch of collaborators. Thanks to Play, the cat (Source of inspiration & purveyor of Good Luck), Christopher Hendrickson (Biographer), Haplo Schaffer (blogger), Miss Techin (blogger), Elisa Yuste (Blogger).
And some media partners who supported us since he beginning: Mistérica Ars Secreta (Digital magazine dedicated to mystery and terror) and H. P. Lovecraft (Blog dedicated to H.P. Lovecraft)
Risks and challenges
We have been the first 3 years of the project working basically in making the most of user experience. We faced and surpassed many technological problems, and we finally managed to setup a very consistent and fluid workflow to create stable and beautiful apps.
Regarding the book and physical rewards, we are very happy to count on Play Attitude because they have wide experience on managing and delivering high-quality Kickstarter. Play Attitude cares about quality, and they always deliver something that exceeds expectations of backers.
With all this experience and knowledge we are pretty sure we can do very well on delivering this Kickstarter. In terms of challenges, the only setback could might a delay on sending the rewards, which is usually related to make sure that the experience is the best.
If there's something you'd like to ask, just use the comments section or send us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.orgLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (42 days)