About the EP:
For the last year and a half, I've been working on writing and fine-tuning the songs for this EP. Since my last album, I have tried to incorporate the feedback I've received from industry professionals in order to grow, develop and to improve as a songwriter and lyricist. A lot of this work has been out of the public eye and this project is my opportunity to share with you, what I feel is my best work. I am truly proud of these songs and feel they represent my progress and improvement as a songwriter.
I have been working with two talented music producers, one is located in Richmond, who is a colleague I regularly worked with while attending Berklee College of Music. The other is a music producer in Philadelphia. I found him after researching over twenty potential candidates, ultimately deciding he was the best person to collaborate with for my style of music. They have assisted me in shaping the songs and arrangements and have proven to be great collaborators.
This new EP will be my first official release of new music in several years. Based on my experience, the best way to become a better songwriter is to work on your craft! That is to write music as often as possible, to study and analyze music you love, and to incorporate feedback from others who have achieved success in the music industry. It has been a monumental (but welcomed) sacrifice as far as how this daily practice has affected my social life. Outside of my live performances, most days I have spent in my home office, writing songs and editing lyrics, analyzing music that moves me, and trying to better understand what makes all the elements of a great song fit together harmoniously.
I feel I have grown exponentially as a songwriter over the last couple of years, and this is my opportunity to showcase these new songs, shop them to industry professionals, and to share them with the world.
Here's where the money raised in this Kickstarter Campaign will go:
- Studio time (finish recording/tracking my guitar and vocals parts)
- Session Musicians (bass, drums, additional parts)
- Production Fees producers I'm working with on this EP
- Mixing/Mastering No matter how well I record the songs initially, I need the skilled touch of Mixing and Mastering engineers for post-production, in order to have a final product that compares in quality to a major label release, a sonic quality of music that is "radio ready"
- Graphic Design to incorporate the album photography into the cover art
- Pressing Hard Copies of the Album
- Promotion/Marketing/PR As important as it is to release music that has been professionally recorded, the promotion of the release is every bit as important as the music itself. Having a promotional budget for the EP helps to successfully advertise it on social media, shop the songs to music publishers and for synch-licensing opportunities for placements in TV/Film, and to have consultations with professionals in Marketing and Public Relations. Basically, having a budget for promotion helps to increase the chances of getting this music heard by the right people
- Shooting New Music Videos After the EP release, I will be working with professional videographers to shoot live performances of the new songs to share with you on social media and on my website
Your support will enable me to release this EP in the most professional way possible, to gain traction that would otherwise be impossible to achieve with an individual effort. I'm beyond grateful to have people in my corner who support my dream, my passion for writing and performing music, and my dedicated commitment to delivering the best music I am able to produce. Your support means the world to me and I thank you!
With your help I can reach more people with my new music than I could ever hope to independently. This will put me in a position to play more prestigious venues, to get more opportunities to open for well-known artists, and to play more shows like this one!
Risks and challenges
With any major project, there can be challenges and setbacks. For instance, when I started working on this EP I expected it to be released back in May. However, after investing this much time, money and effort, I decided it was better to take a little more time in order to work with the best industry professionals I could find, in order to make this EP the absolute best compilation of songs possible.
I have set aside money from every show I've played for the last year, to afford me the ability to get a huge head-start on this project. Once the Kickstarter funds are raised, I will be able to quickly complete the final stages of the EP, and to get it ready for a successful launch.
It has been a challenge to oversee all of the different areas that make up a project of this caliber. I have spent countless hours working on these songs and planning/strategizing the release. I'm so excited to finally be able to share these songs with you soon! This campaign will lead to a sizable boost to my music career and it will help to increase my chances of being discovered on a larger level. Thanks for your interest in what I've been up to behind the scenes. If you're not able to contribute to the campaign but you would like to support in another way, sharing this story or telling a friend would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! Much love and many thanks,
- (30 days)