- The Problem
- The Solution
- Our Cause
- Our Goal
- How You Can Help
- The Books
- The Rewards
- About Us
We have a literacy crisis.
Imagine not being able to read your prescriptions, your electric bill, or even a Christmas card. That's the reality for 30 million U.S. adults and nearly 15% of the world population. Now consider these sobering facts:
This is what happens when kids miss out on reading. But there is good news: YOU can help us change this. Here's how.
Revitalizing the book deserts.
An essential part of the literacy solution is increasing the availability of books to kids. Consider this amazing quote from a 2010 study:"Children growing up in homes with many books get 3 years more schooling than children from bookless homes, independent of their parents’ education, occupation, and class. This is as great an advantage as having university educated rather than unschooled parents, and twice the advantage of having a professional rather than an unskilled father. It holds equally in rich nations and in poor; in the past and in the present; under Communism, capitalism, and Apartheid; and most strongly in China." (—M.D.R. Evans, Jonathan Kelley, Joanna Sikora, Donald J. Treiman. Family scholarly culture and educational success: Books and schooling in 27 nations. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility. Volume 28, Issue 2, 2010. Pages 171-197.)
Or, put more simply:
We fight illiteracy by putting more books into more kids' hands.
Every year, hundreds of children's publishers produce thousands of wonderful books for kids. The problem? Too many kids can't afford them. At $16.99-19.99 a piece, children's books are just too far out of reach for most of the world's families.
The Book-for-Book Promise:
To counter that, we're building our children's book company upon our Book-for-Book Promise: for every book we sell, we donate a book to kids in need. One for one.
How it works:
- As a publisher, we'll sell our books in diverse sales channels all over the world (bookstores, retailers, Amazon, etc.). We've already secured distribution through one of publishing's top distributors.
- Every year, we'll tally the number of books that we sold across all channels. We'll then ship that exact same number of books to one or more literacy foundations. Those books will find their way to low-income neighborhoods, homeless and displaced kids, and even libraries in Africa.
The gold seal:
To distinguish our line of book-for-book products from everything else in a bookstore, we're attached a gold "Book-for-Book" seal to every one of our books!
Make a pledge today, and you'll help us launch our first line of books.
In return, you can pick one of our fantastic rewards (scroll all the way to see), including books (scroll down for book previews!), author visits, and custom illustrations. Take a look below at each pledge amount, make a choice, and help us change the future for millions of kids!
How the whole Kickstarter thing works.
If you're unfamiliar with Kickstarter, here's a helpful rundown:
- We set a goal with Kickstarter for the funds that we need to raise. The goal for us is $25,000.
- Backers pledge money to help us reach that goal. In return, we offer special rewards (see those reward packages below!)
- Kickstarter is all-or-nothing: if we reach our goal, we receive the funding. If we don't, we don't get anything.
- Backers' cards are only charged at the end of the campaign and if our goal is met. If the goal isn't met, no one is charged and that's that.
Now, let's show the books that will be changing the world (and the ones you can earn!)
Powerful, beautiful, inspiring.
The world is tumultuous, and kids' books must rise to the occasion. We make powerful books for a new generation of powerful leaders—no mimby-pimby stuff here. Our books inspire, empower, motivate, and bring people together. But we don't stop there. Books from Bushel & Peck are gorgeous, too. We invest in high-quality art, stunning design, and beautiful treatments like gold foil and luxurious matte finishes.
Take a look at our first four titles.
50 Real Heroes for Boys
True Stories of Courage, Integrity, Kindness, Empathy, Compassion, and More!
- A stunning collection of stories that counters toxic masculinity and teaches our boys what real heroes really are
- Includes portraits and stories of from all over the world
- Includes and equal number of heroic men and women (boys can have women heroes too, and it instills respect and esteem for women and girls)
- Counters male stereotypes and instead tells boys they can rise to become anything: a puppeteer, a designer, an artist, a leader, and more
- Every story includes essential "Special Powers" that are the essence of real heroism: kindness, courage, compassion, forgiveness, and more
- Beautifully packaged with heavy art-grade paper, a matte finish, gold foil, a ribbon to mark your place, and see-through die-cut holes on the front cover.
First Words for Fearless Girls
A massive deluxe board book packed with over 500 big words for girls about to do big things!
- Includes over 100 famous women, too!
- Learn Colors with Frida Kahlo, Things that Go with Amelia Earhart, and more!
- Stunningly designed
- Sturdy board book for little hands
- Measures 9" x 11"
- Ages 1-4
The Interactive Constitution
Packed with flaps, wheels, color-changing words, and more!
- A fabulous way to introduce your kids to the founding principles of constitutional government
- Fully interactive: packed with flaps, wheels, touch-and-feel spots, pullout cards, and even color-changing vocabulary words. There's never been a book like this!
- A refreshing return to founding principles in a politically turbulent time
A Child's Gift of Lullabies
10 Original Lullabies to Make Bedtime Magical
Study after study has proven the benefits of lullabies for children. Parents and children bond, anxieties soothe, and everyone gets much needed sleep! That's why we're thrilled to turn the world's most beloved lullaby album into a book for the very first time. The enchanting melodies and rich illustrations will create night after night of magical bedtime bonding.
- Includes 10 original songs from the Grammy-nominated, 4.5-million-copy-selling, beloved CD "A Child's Gift of Lullabyes" by J. Aaron Brown
- Stunningly illustrated
- Created with sturdy board to withstand wear and a cover with padding for extra softness and gold foil for extra magic
- Helps young children start life right with feelings of love, comfort, security, and confidence
Filled with beautiful artwork paired to the lyrics of the original songs:
Hear some of the original, Grammy-nominated songs (we bet you'll recognize them):Sample Song #1: SomedayBaby
Sample Song #2: Wings
Pre-order these amazing books by picking a rewards package!
You've seen the cause. You've seen the books. Now let's get you a piece of both through our reward packages! Once you see a package you like, click "Make a Pledge" button. Then, select your package and you're off to the races! Ready to change the world?
Featured Reward: The Teacher Exclusive ($79)
Book Packages: ($5-$1000)
David is an award-winning and bestselling author and illustrator of over 40 books. He grew up on the East Coast as one of seven kids. He started early in publishing, producing his first book at age eighteen through a contest by Landmark Editions. Since then, he has worked as a graphic designer, instructor, author, illustrator, and creative director. Most recently, he was the publishing director for Familius where he helped the company become one of Publishers Weekly's 2018 Fastest Growing Independent Publishers. David was the General Management Outstanding Graduate of his BYU Marriott School class and was named a 2018 Publishers Weekly Star Watch Nominee. His favorite thing in life is being a husband and dad, because really, that's even better than donuts.
First and foremost, Stephanie is a mom to a wonderful boy named Tucker. For several years, she has worked as a preschool teacher and aid for kids with special needs. But Stephanie is also a warrior. In 2011, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). As a single mom, she worked her way through school and graduated from Fresno State with a degree in child development. Stephanie is also the author of over a dozen books for kids, including a bestselling regional board book series. In her free time, she loves to cycle, garden, decorate, and count her son's freckles.
Tucker is the official Tickle Monster and product tester of Bushel & Peck Books. He loves to build, read, wrestle, and swim. His favorite food is pizza—unless you have breadsticks, because, well, breadsticks.
Risks and challenges
Risks are minimal. With several years of publishing experience, the Bushel & Peck Books team is familiar with creating, manufacturing, and distributing book products. We've already lined up our printer, fulfillment, distribution, and sales team—we just need you help to get the ball rolling!
Some people have wondered if our distribution of free books to kids in need will hinder or slow their receipt of the books they earned through pledges. The answer is no. Our first print run will fulfill all Kickstarter orders and retail orders. A second, separate print run with a different book format will be used to fill the book donations, and that will run several months after the commercial run.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (59 days)