About this project
We made out initial goal, thank you! But, there's still much to do! Here are Stretch Goals that we think you'll like:
Wanted Poster Sticker: designed by me, of your favorite Guns of Shadow Valley characters. It's 4x6in and sticks to stuff. STICKERS UPDATE - Due to extreme costs, we've been forced to abandon the 6 different stickers. Originally, we were going to print six stickers, and each person who got a book would get one of the stickers, chosen at random. Since we can't do the six, we've decided to do a sheet of four. Instead of just getting one sticker, everyone who got a book at $30 or more will GET ALL 4 STICKERS!
Bookmark: Mark you place in any book with a custom designed Guns of Shadow Valley bookmark. Included for everyone who ordered the book at the $30 level and higher.
Art Print: A handsome new art print with the cover art from the new book. Signed by me, 8x12in.Included for everyone who ordered the book at the $30 level and higher.
Signature Page and Ribbon Bookmark: A new Ribbon Bookmark added to the spine and replacing the signed and numbered bookplate with a Signature Page. It'll still be signed & numbered with a sketch, but instead of being a bookplate that you have to stick into the book, it'll be a full color page that's bound in with the book itself.
Book Upgrade: upgrade to the cover with a fabric spine, foil embossed lettering, and a debossed front with full-color tip-on image. This will make the book look so great. This is the way I really want the book to look in my dreams.
12 Hour Comic: we will be creating a "12-hour comic". This will be a bonus black-and-white comic book (around 24 pages), set in the world of The Guns of Shadow Valley, made under the challenge of making 12 comic pages in 12 hours. Within that 12 hour period, I will be writing/illustrating a 12-page comic and Jim will write a separate 12-page prose story, and we'll print them up together and include them with every hardcover.
Somewhere in the mysterious Shadow Valley lies a secret that could forever change the face of the American frontier. To protect that secret, a posse of gunmen with superhuman abilities must come together to face a tribe of ghostly warriors, an advancing army led by a deranged Colonel, and the perils of the haunted valley itself…Set in the late 1870s in the Oklahoma Territory, this is a tale of intrigue and adventure that puts a new spin on the Old West.
THE GUNS OF SHADOW VALLEY is a webcomic series of Wild West high adventure. We've added lots of our favorite elements into the mix: science fiction, steampunk, superpowers, mysticism, and folklore. A wide cast of strange and unusual characters, tons of action, custom weapons, and captivating settings, all together as an exciting and mysterious plot unfolds.
Over half of the story, 100+ pages, are available to read right now at gunsofshadowvalley.com. If you like what you see, come on back here and help us finish the story!
- Nominated: 2010 Eisner Award for ‘Best Digital Comic’
- Nominated: 2011 Harvey Award for ‘Best Online Comics Work’
My name is Dave Wachter and I am the co-creator, co-writer and artist. I’m also the artist on such titles as Night of 1,000 Wolves, That Hellbound Train, Godzilla, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for IDW Publishing, and most recently Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem, written by Steve Niles for Dark Horse Comics. Last year I was nominated for the Russ Manning Most Promising Newcomer Award. davedrawscomics.com
My partner in crime is James Andrew Clark, who co-created The Guns of Shadow Valley and writes it with me. He and I previously collaborated on the 5-issue series Scar Tissue and Genius J’s Technicolour Almanack of Graphical Wonderment. And he plays a mean ukulele, having released several albums under the moniker Ukulele Jim. jamesclark.com
The Guns of Shadow Valley is lettered by Thomas Mauer, who has had a hand in a number of award winning and nominated books including the Popgun anthology series from Image Comics and Archaia's Awakening. His current and upcoming work includes Archaia’s Strange Attractors, Image’s Graveyard of Empires, Umbral, and Undertow, and Monkeybrain's Knuckleheads. thomasmauer.com
In a nutshell: PRE-ORDERS HELP GET THE PROJECT FINISHED.
The Guns of Shadow Valley, Book One: There are over 100 pages of story already online at gunsofshadowvalley.com. Our goal is to complete the rest of the story with about 100 pages left to finish. Then the entire series will be collected in a high-quality hardcover print edition. Along with the story pages will be almost 50 pages of extras, including character designs, sketches, original pin-ups, and pages describing and showing the creation process. We intend to use Kickstarter as a way to fund the completion of the book, as well as to offer you a way to pre-order the book along with some unique bonus material.
This Kickstarter campaign will fund the printing and shipping of the book, roughly 250 pages in a deluxe oversized hardcover edition. It will also fund the completion of those last 100 pages by the artist (that's me.)
The webcomic will continue. As work progresses, pages will be posted on the website at a rate of 1-2 pages per week. (I'll actually be working at a faster rate than this, but this allows the webcomic to continue right up until the book is ready to be released.) In addition, there will be a new "making of" blog exclusively for backers, and a podcast commentary recorded by Jim and I for every chapter, like a DVD commentary for the webcomic that you can follow along as you read the story.
Upon project completion, we will be working with a publisher on the printing and distribution of the book. The successful Kickstarter campaign allows this to be possible. Kickstarter backers will receive their copies of the book a few months before the retail edition is released in stores. This is the only opportunity for you to get your hands on the book months ahead of its public release, along with quality rewards exclusive to this campaign. And most of all, you’ll actually help get it made.
Your pledge of $30 or more orders The Guns of Shadow Valley hardcover book. You will receive your copy of the book several months before the retail edition hits stores. In the stores, the retail price of the book will be $24.95. But unlike the retail edition, your copy will include an exclusive custom designed SIGNED, NUMBERED & SKETCHED bookplate, a digital copy of the book in DRM-free PDF format, and FREE domestic shipping.
- THE BOOK - nearly 250 pages, hardcover, oversized at 12" x 8", full color, full bleed aka BIG and BEAUTIFUL!
- BOOKPLATE - custom designed by me, printed on self-adhesive vellum paper, acid free and archival quality. Signed by James Clark and Dave Wachter, limited edition, numbered, with an original doodle.
- SHERIFF'S BADGE - Just a little something extra, a cool little wooden sheriff's badge pin, laser engraved, 2.5in from point to point. - Now also available as an Add-On for $5. See the Add-On section below.
- BOOK COLLECTION - A book set from the creators of The Guns of Shadow Valley! In this set you'll get the following books by Dave Wachter: Curmudgeon, Monsters Mostly, Night of 1000 Wolves. PLUS you'll get Jim and Dave's collaborations Scar Tissue and Genius J's Technicolour Almanack of Graphical Wonderment. All books come SIGNED, Curmudgeon also comes with a SKETCH on the back cover. And, of course, a hardcover copy of The Guns of Shadow Valley.
- SKETCH CARDS - original art sketch mini portait of a character from Guns of Shadow Valley, 4x6, ink and ink wash.
- T-SHIRT - men's and women's sizes, an original design by me.
- COMMISSIONS - Custom made original art of a character of your choosing and each drawing is finished in ink and ink wash. I haven't had much time lately to accept commission requests, and when I do it's usually exclusive to those who are at conventions I attend. Also, these commissions are at a significant discount from what I normally charge. See more examples at davedrawscomics.com
- SHOOT-OUT WATERCOLOR PAINTING - A full color painted watercolor re-creation of the iconic moment in chapter 1 when Frank incapacitates the Meyers Brothers in the muddy streets of the sleepy town of Malice. 17x11, watercolor on watercolor paper.
- PORTFOLIO OR SCRIPT REVIEW - Bobby Curnow, editor at IDW Publishing (Godzilla, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), and writer (Night of 1,000 Wolves, Battle Beasts) has graciously offered this reward. He will dedicate one hour to review your script or art portfolio, offer tips and sage advice only experience in the industry can provide. A valuable step to help you on your way in your comic book career.
- CAMEO ROLE - That's right, you can be in the story! Your likeness will appear in a walk-on role in the comic. You may or may not have dialog... You might even get killed! All of that is at our discretion, depending on how we see you fitting into the story, but we will try to make it interesting and worth it. Plus, you get the original character design drawing of you in your 1870s duds, and the original page art in which you appear!
- ORIGINAL POSTER ART PAINTING - The original painting from the poster art print. Big and lush fully painted watercolor with tons of characters. A whopping 22x14 in size, a one-of-a-kind masterpiece by series artist Dave Wachter, created specially for this event.
UPDATE: NEW REWARDS!
ALIEN PIN-UP - I just found this piece tucked away that I drew earlier this year. It's an unpublished sample drawing for a publisher. 11x17in, ink on bristol board paper.
A set of the 5 ART PRINTS and a SKETCH CARD to be included along with the original art pin-ups by Andy Jewett, J.K.Woodward, and Tom Scioli! And I'll throw in a Sketch card to go along with Steve Bryant's pin-up, too.
SET OF 5 STEVE BRYANT PRINTS - Steve just donated these 5 signed prints to be included for free along with his Pin-Up! (which you can see in all it's glory below) That's a lot of amazing Steve Bryant art!
SKETCH CARDS BY RAFER ROBERTS - Artist Rafer Roberts had donated an unlimited number of sketch card requests! He will take requests, within reason, or you can leave it up to him and he will draw an original goofy little monster. Rafer is the writer and artist of the underground comic PLASTIC FARM, the man behind NIGHTMARE THE RAT as well as the first editor of Washington DC's MAGIC BULLET comic newspaper. Cards are 2.5x3.5in, ink on bristol board. Available also as an Add-On for $10. www.plasticfarm.com
COMMISSION FROM KELLY WILLIAMS - Freelance comic book artist Kelly Williams has generously donated 4 commission spots! Kelly's work includes Caryn A. Tate's RED PLAINS (Top Shelf 2.0) and "Hello, Do You Work Here" (Alterna Comics) as well as numerous Comics anthologies. He is currently working on the historical fiction horror Graphic Novel, THE CABINET, with writer Christian Sager as well as METAPHASE with writer Chip Reece (#0 of METAPHASE is available free on comixology from Alterna Comics). Get up to two characters in his lush and gritty style. 11x14, ink and ink wash. treebeerdstuff.com
COMMISSION FROM COMFORT AND ADAM - The husband and wife art team of Comfort Love and Adam Withers have generously donated a valuable commission art spot. Two characters of your choosing, one will be drawn by Adam, the other by Comfort. On 8.5x11in paper finished in markers. Here are examples of their commission work. Also, check out their website: www.ComfortAndAdam.com
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE PAGE - Earlier this year I illustrated an issue of the TMNT Villains Microseries, Old Hob, written by Jason Ciaramella, published in June 2013 by IDW.Only two pages actually feature the Turtles, and this is one of them. This is page 22, the last page of the book, and features Old Hob, Slash, Splinter, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo, all ready for a fight.
SET OF 5 ART PRINTS - 5 signed art prints from the Dave Wachter collection. High quality digital prints on heavy 100lb satin finish paper. Also available without the book as an Add-on for $45(plus $15 for international shipping)
ORIGINAL PIN-UP ART by TOM SCIOLI
ORIGINAL PIN-UP ART by J.K. WOODWARD
ORIGINAL PIN-UP ART by ANDY JEWETT
ORIGINAL PIN-UP ART by STEVE BRYANT
July 5: GODZILLA PIN-UP! A one-of-a-kind original drawing of the King of Monsters! 9x12in, ink and ink wash.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES RAPHAEL PIN-UP! A one-of-a-kind original drawing of the turtle with an attitude. He's cool but crude. 12x9in, ink, ink wash, and watercolors.
June 17: GODZILLA PAGES! Last year I got do the art on issue 6 of the current Godzilla series, written by Duane Swierczynski, published in October 2012 by IDW. Only a few of the pages actually contain the King of Monsters himself. I'm parting with several of them. Also, some Mothra love, because Mothra is awesome!
There are several reward items that aren't available at every level higher, but we still want to make them available to anyone who might want them. To do this, just choose the Reward level you want, then use the MANAGE YOUR PLEDGE button to increase your pledge to include the item or items from the list below. Add the appropriate amount and leave us a note as to which add-on(s) you want. When the Kickstarter campaign is over, we will contact you via the Kickstarter Survey and verify your add-ons.
- Sheriff's Badge - $5 - I've arranged for more badges to be made, unfortunatley the price went up to $5. But you can get additional badges for just $2. (Please add another $5 for shipping outside the US)
- Sketch Card by Rafer Roberts - $10 - 2.5x3.5in ink sketch card by underground artist Rafer Roberts. See examples under Rewards:Updates. (Add to orders of $25 or more)
- Digital Bundle - $10 - our past works, the 5-issue series Scar Tissue, the short story anthology Genius J's Almanack, the 64-page Curmudgeon art book, and the 100-page Monster's Mostly mini-sketch book.
- T-shirt - $15 - The Guns of Shadow Valley t-shirt, men's(M, L,XL,XXL) and women's(S,M,L) sizes available. (Please add another $5 for shipping outside the US)
- Movie Poster Print - $20 - The large(22x14) movie poster art print, signed and numbered. (Please add another $5 for shipping outside the US)
- 2nd Book Copy - $25 - A second copy of the Guns of Shadow Valley hardcover book. Available only to the $30 level or higher. Limited to ONE extra book only. (Please add another $15 for shipping outside the US)
- Set of 5 Art Prints - $45 - 5 signed art prints from the Dave Wachter collection. High quality digital prints on heavy 100lb satin finish paper. (Please add another $15 for shipping outside the US)
With your support, this Weird West saga can come to life, both as a completed webcomic and as a beautiful book to share. We couldn't make this book without you. So, sincerely... thank you!
Risks and challenges
The story is half done already, I just need to finish the second half. That process should take me 6 months, with the book being delivered in June 2014. We have a publisher on board to assist, and we are using an order fulfillment service to help get everything packaged and shipped promptly. You will be able to watch the production process on the "making of" blog, and on the webcomic site itself as new pages are released, beginning immediately after completion of this Kickstarter.
I cannot stress to you enough my commitment to the completion of this work. I've already let my editors know that I will not be accepting any other comic projects from any person or publisher until I've finished The Guns of Shadow Valley. I will be working on this full time. I'm taking as little money as possible for myself, I've managed to save some and I'll be working at a page rate that is far below what I earn elsewhere. Because this isn't about the money, this is a story we love and finally want to see to it's completion.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)