We can't Thank You enough!
AND IF YOU MISSED THE DEADLINE, SEND US A MESSAGE!
I've always loved a good mystery.
MAN FROM RENO is my first film in the genre - and a departure from my previous work. I don't want to give too much away, but I can say with confidence it's unlike any mystery you've seen before. For starters, it's a bilingual movie: one storyline is in Japanese, while the other is in English!
Earlier this year, suddenly the stars aligned and I was able to get just enough financing to shoot MAN FROM RENO on a very low budget. Luckily, I was able to cast my old friends Ayako Fujitani and Pepe Serna in the lead roles, along with my new friend Kazuki Kitamura.
I'm editing the film right now, and I'm excited with how it's coming together. But I need the funding necessary to finish things like music, sound design, color correction and visual effects--the stuff I can't do on my own.
If you can help me finish the film, I'd love to have you along for the journey and be among the first to see the final movie. Please check out our VIDEO for a first look at some footage, or just read on for more about my film!
Thanks so much,
- EXAMINER interviews director Dave Boyle about Kickstarter and Man From Reno
- INDIEWIRE Project of the Day! Man From Reno
- Trailblazer Tuesday! MovieMaker Magazine's Project of the Week!
- Five Questions with Man From Reno Director Dave Boyle | FILMMAKER MAGAZINE
- A Face in the Crowd: Dave Boyle's Murder Mystery Man From Reno | THE MOVEABLE FEST
Here's a brief rundown of our labyrinth plot. Don't worry, we're still keeping plenty of secrets:
In a small town south of San Francisco, Sheriff Paul Del Moral (Pepe Serna) is driving home through the fog one night when he accidentally strikes a pedestrian, a lone Japanese man. However, before an investigation can take place the man disappears from the hospital without a trace.
At the same time, Japanese mystery author Aki Akahori (Ayako Fujitani) takes a trip to San Francisco in order to escape the press tour for her latest book--a potboiler in her world-famous "Inspector Takabe" series. Feeling lonely and vulnerable, she begins a romantic affair with a mysterious Japanese traveler from Reno who is staying in the same hotel. Her new lover, Akira Suzuki (Kazuki Kitamura), is charismatic and charming but abruptly disappears from the hotel, leaving behind his suitcase and a trail of questions...
Actress, writer and artist Ayako Fujitani became famous at a young age for her starring role in the celebrated Gamera Kaiju movie series. In 2009, Ayako greatly expanded her international following with a lead role in Michel Gondry's Tokyo! as a woman who magically turns into a chair. She also appeared in a cameo role in my previous film Daylight Savings. Creative Spotlight #247 - Ayako Fujitani | JAPAN CINEMA
A superstar in his native Japan thanks to appearances in films by director Takashi Miike (Like a Dragon, Dead or Alive) and Godzilla: Final Wars, Kazuki Kitamura is unstoppable this year, with starring roles in the Mo Brother's Killers, in The Raid 2, and the sequel to the Japanese box office hit Thermae Romae.
Pepe Serna played cameo roles in my first 2 films, and I always promised to write a leading role for him. Now we finally did it together.
Pepe has been a well-known character actor for over 40 years with roles in over 150 movies. He is best known for his appearance opposite Al Pacino in Scarface, along with memorable roles in Silverado, Clint Eastwood's The Rookie, and in Edward James Olmos' gang drama American Me. Special Video Message from PEPE SERNA
Like most mystery stories, Man from Reno has a huge cast of characters, and I feel lucky that such a diverse group of seasoned actors stepped in to help me out. Here's just a handful of cast members you'll see in the film:
- Derrick O'Connor | (BRAZIL, TIME BANDITS, LETHAL WEAPON 2)
- Hiroshi Watanabe | (WHITE ON RICE, LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA)
- Tetsuo Kuramochi | (ABIGAIL HARM)
- Yasuyo Shiba | (MADA, NINGEN, WOLVERINE)
- Yuki Matsukazi | (THE LAST SAMURAI, LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA)
- Elisha Skorman | (AUTUMN WANDERER, CSI:NY)
- Masami Kosaka | (TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN 2, LITTLE BOY)
- Rome Kanda | (SONATINE, KIDS RETURN, THE INFORMANT)
I could not have made Man from Reno without my crew - all of whom are dear friends. Some of us have been working on the film for a few years, starting with my writing partners Joel Clark and Michael Lerman (Surrogate Valentine, Daylight Savings) -- who patiently helped me work out the kinks in a twisty-turny story, and my director of photography Richard Wong (Snow Flower and the Secret Fan) who translated the story into visual form.
Here are some of my collaborators on the film (a full list can be found on IMDB):
Producer: Ko Mori | Co-producer: Taro Goto | Associate Producers: Kerry McCrohan, Mye Hoang | Co-writers: Joel Clark, Michael Lerman | Director of Photography: Richard Wong | Editors: Sean Gillane, Yasu Inoue | Sound: Keenan Jensen | Composer: Micah Dahl Anderson | Sound Design: Carlos Sanches | Line Producer: Duane Andersen | Unit Production Manager: Niels-Christian Keilland | Wardrobe Design: Irene Chan | Hair & Makeup: Mayera Abeita, Keiko Morita, Alisa Kume | Production Design: Katy Porter | Art Director: Ciara Butler, D.J. Theriot | Production Coordinator: Yukie Hashimoto | Executive Producers: Nelson Cheng, Daryl Furr, Emily Ting, Wade Winningham
For only $1, JOIN THE PARTY!
EVERYONE who donates, even as little as $1, gets a reward!
- Everyone gets invited to our Kickstarter Countdown PARTY in Los Angeles! We'll be counting down the minutes together and live stream it for everyone at home to see how this all ends!
- PLUS every backer will have the opportunity see FIVE minutes of the film before the campaign ends...
- PLUS choose from one of these digital Backer Badges to share on your social media!
At $25+ everyone gets the movie!
At $25, we'll send you the link to stream it online (you'll need high speed internet access), plus access to stream the Making Of documentary for a behind the scenes look and deleted scenes.
At $35+ everyone gets their name in the credits! Plus the HD Download.
At $35 (just a little more than the cost of 2 movie tickets), we offer a HD digital download of the movie, plus your name in the credits - and everything in the lower reward tiers.
At $50+ everyone gets the DVD, HD Download and more!
A digital download just isn't the same as a freshly shrink-wrapped physical dvd! Everyone who pledges $50 and up will get a first-run dvd with our artwork!
Dvds will be delivered upon the commercial release of the film.
$75 GOODIE BAG
The most popular reward! The Eco-Friendly Messenger Bag comes with the Signed DVD, 3 Post-it Note Cubes and everything from the $50 Level. The bag is a must-have for taking to film festivals to show your support! ****SOLD OUT - PLEASE SEE our $125 Reward Level****
At $100+ See it on the BIG screen!
For $100, we will buy you a pair of tickets to the film festival premiere nearest you. We think it's important to have the chance to see it on the big screen, and we will try to bring it to a film festival near you or arrange our own screening in cities by popular demand. (And if it doesn’t screen in your town, you still get a copy – and your donation directly helps the artists.)
For every pledge $300 and above, I will gift you this new 320-pg book featuring an 8-pg interview about my body of work. It was just released this month!
Sponsorship Title in the credits at $500 and up:
Your name will be credited in the film if you wish to pledge at these levels for the wardrobe, picture car, or our stunt! Your credit will look something like this, but nicer:
If you become a wardrobe sponsor at the $500 level, at least 3 pieces are yours to keep! Many items were never even worn! Most pieces are for a female size 2 or 4, and for a male size medium and large. Look at Update #25 highlighting some of the available pieces you can choose from. You might be able to own something worn by one of your favorite actors - while getting a special credit in the film as a sponsor! Only 1 of these is left!
Keep the Kickstarter Car!
Help us at the $2,000 level and be credited as our car sponsor. Buying this 1986 Buick Century was cheaper than renting it for the shoot...so now it needs a home. If you're in California, we'll deliver this car to you - it still runs great. Use it in your own movie, or donate it to charity...!
How About a Trip to San Francisco?
RT airfare and 2 nights hotel for you to come to the Bay Area Premiere and party in 2014! We'll put you in the same hotel we filmed the movie in, and take you to dinner in nearby Japantown. We'll welcome your arrival with the same Japanese snacks provided to the crew, and end your evenings in the same bar we filmed in. Take your experience to a whole new level!
$10,000 for title as an Executive Producer!
At our top level, we offer the opportunity to be named as an Executive Producer with all the perks of being one - your name in the credits, on IMDB, the poster, dvd, website, credentials to some film festivals, red carpet events, parties, trip to the SF Premiere, and the whole shebang!
You'll also be invited to the World Premiere and Japan Premiere in 2014 (travel expenses are your own, but we will help arrange your plans).
What are Add-ons? Pick out a few rewards a la carte and add the amount to any pledge! Kickstarter doesn't allow you to choose multiple rewards, so if you need an extra copy of the dvd, just add the amount to your pledge. For instance, if you select the $100 level but you also want the $75 Goodie Bag (listed below), select the $100 level and then enter in $175 as your PLEDGE AMOUNT. Later, we will survey you and you can indicate you've chosen some add-ons.
- *NEW* Access to World Premiere Live Stream, please Add $50 to any level reward.
- *NEW* Movie Soundtrack - Digital Download, please Add $18
- Extra DVD, please Add $30 for the first extra and $15 for each after that. (+$10 shipping is outside US)
- Extra HD Download, please Add $20 each
- Extra Name in the Credits, please Add $35 each
- 1 Goodie Bag (with Goodies), please Add $75 (+$20 shipping is outside US)
- 1 Messenger Bag, just the bag and no goodies, please Add $40 (+$20 shipping is outside US)
- 1 Note Cube, please Add $12 each (+$10 shipping is outside US)
- 1 Full Size Poster, please Add $50 each (+$20 shipping is outside US)
- 1 Hard Cover Man From Reno Photo Book, please Add $50 each (+$20 shipping is outside US)
If there's something missing that you'd like to see on the list, just ask us! We're happy to add what's in demand.
The movie has already been shot, and editing is underway. The funds will go toward the final steps in post-production: music, sound design and mixing, visual effects, color correction, and fulfilling our Kickstarter rewards. Here is a pie-chart for a complete breakdown.
The movie has distribution in Japan, and we're hoping for a wide release in America as well. Some of the cities we plan to have at least one screening include:
- Cleveland, OH
- Dallas, TX
- Los Angeles, CA
- New York, NY
- Portland, OR
- Salt Lake City, UT
- San Diego, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Seattle, WA
- Tokyo, JAPAN
**So if you are interested in that $100 level reward which includes a PAIR OF TICKETS to the premiere, you can count on MFR screening in these cities - even if we have to bring it ourselves. Don't see your city? Ask us! We'll bring it if there's enough demand. We really want you to see it on the big screen!
- Become a Backer! In return, we have some unique rewards - as well as updates with clips exclusively for our backers.
- Ask ONE FRIEND to become a backer. Forward our Kickstarter link to someone you think may be interested.
- Spread the word and like us on Facebook, and Follow us on Twitter! Retweet the campaign!
- Leave us a Comment. Or ask us a question. We’d love to hear from you. Any comment or question greatly benefits others who may be reading this.
THANKS FOR CHECKING US OUT! WE CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT YOU!
-DAVE & THE MFR TEAM.
- •ページの右手にある緑色の"Back This Project"をクリックします。
- •金額を選ばれて、お好きな懸賞を選ばれた後（No rewardと、懸賞なしも選べます）ページの下の方に行き、緑色の"Continue"ボタンを押します。
- •次のページでは、選ばれたオプションをご確認いただき（confirm）次に、"CONTINUE TO AMAZON"をクリックします。
- •アマゾンのサインインページになりますので、もし、アカウントを持たれている方であれば、サインイン。もし、アカウントのない方の場合は"I am a new customer"をクリックしてアカウントを作成出来ます。
- •実際に課金が発生するのは、期限である８月２０日までに(50,000$)１ドル１００円と過程して、５００万円集まってからになります。 もしも、目標期限までに上記目標額に支援金が集まらなければ、どなたのクレジットカードからもお金は引き落とされません。
- •支援金額の変更やキャンセルをされたい場合は、ご支援されたプロジェクトのページに行き、Manage your Pledge"をクリックしてください。
Risks and challenges
No matter what, there is always a risk in backing any film project. However, you're in a unique position to back a film that has already been shot and is close to completion. I've directed 4 feature films in the past, so I have the experience necessary to deliver the finished film.
Some of the rewards, such as DVDs or digital downloads, will be delivered after the movie is completed and released. We'll keep you updated on our progress as the movie comes together!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)