About this project
What the critics said about Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works
‘The best coffee table book about videogames of all time … packed with art, design documents and schematics of Sega’s most famous console.’ Kotaku
‘The most powerful piece of gaming propaganda ever created.’ Kaiju Pop
‘Such is the incredible appeal of Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works that even a total outsider is able to open it up and find something of interest.’ Nintendo Life
‘Collected Works strikes a fine balance between pure eye candy and information-packed depth, resulting in a comprehensive (and beautifully designed) history of the Mega Drive.’ Den of Geek
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works is the ultimate retrospective of Sega's famed 16-bit console, featuring development and concept illustrations for the platform's best-loved game franchises, original developer interviews and previously unseen hardware production plans. Much of the visual material – drawn from the Sega of Japan archives – has never been released before.
The book, an elaborately produced and meticulously designed publication, was released in 2014 to huge critical acclaim and is now sadly out of stock. We regularly receive requests to reprint the title, so we are looking to fund a second production run to ensure the title remains in print.
Alongside an exhaustive visual tour of Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis archives is ‘Arcade Perfect’, a written history of the console and its legacy by Guardian Games Editor Keith Stuart, which features the voices of Sega executives and industry luminaries – including the company’s founder David Rosen, its president Hayao Nakayama, Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske and many more. The book opens with a foreword by legendary developer David Perry, on the console that catalysed his career.
Concluding the book are 28 specially-conducted interviews with original Sega developers and team members, including Naoto Ohshima (Sonic The Hedgehog), Yu Suzuki (Space Harrier), Greg Johnson & Mark Voorsanger (ToeJam & Earl), Makoto Uchida (Golden Axe) and Yuji Naka (Sonic The Hedgehog).
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works was produced to the very highest standards by a world class art book printer. With our available financial resources committed to several new, upcoming titles, we are taking to Kickstarter to fund production of a second run of Collected Works – manufactured to our usual exacting standards.
Exclusive to this campaign, every book will come bundled with a sleek Sega Mega Drive bookmark, cut from heavyweight Italian Fedrigoni stock and stamped with the Japanese Mega Drive logo in matt black foil.
The bookmark is a Kickstarter exclusive product and will not be available in the future.
The tote bag
Our Kickstarter exclusive Collected Works tote bag is the perfect way to carry your book, or your Mega Drive/Genesis, around with you. A cut above the usual promotional tote bag, our luxury bag will be made of thick, durable, black-dyed canvas and screenprinted with the iconic Collected Works cover illustration in a rich black ink.
- 8 x gatefold pages
- Foil stamped cover
- Two paper stocks
- 190 x 240 mm
- David Rosen, Co-founder: Sega
- Hayao Nakayama, Co-founder: Sega
- Tom Kalinske, President: Sega
- Trip Hawkins, Founder: Electronic Arts
- Shinobu Toyoda, Executive vice president: Sega
- Al Nilsen, Director of marketing: Sega
- Michael Katz, President: Sega
- Irina Lapin, Associate planning director: Goodby, Berlin & Silverstein
- Scot Bayless, Technical Director: Sega
- Naoto Oshima, Game Designer: Sonic the Hedgehog
- Yu Suzuki, Game Designer: Space Harrier, OutRun, After Burner, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter
- Makoto Uchida, Planner: Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Alien Storm
- Yuji Naka, Game Designer: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic & Knuckles
- Masami Ishikawa, Product Designer: Mega Drive/Genesis hardware
- Mitsushige Shiraiwa, Product Designer: Mega Drive/Genesis outer casing
- Tomohiro Kondo, Planner: Shadow Dancer
- Yuzo Koshiro, Sound Designer: The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi, Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage
- Akira Nishino, Planning Director: Ristar the Shooting Star/Ristar
- Kan Naito, Programmer: Shining Force
- Kazuyuki Hoshino, Art Director: Knuckles Chaotix
- Keisuke Tsukahara, Sound Designer: Shadow Dancer, Alien Storm (arcade)
- Kotaro Hayashida, Game Designer: Alex Kidd, Space Harrier
- Manabu Kusunoki, Graphic Designer: Bonanza Bros.
- Naohiro Warama (credited as Taro Shizuoka), Designer: Revenge of Shinobi/The Super Shinobi
- Noriyoshi Ohba, Director: The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi, Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage
- Ryuichi Nishizawa, Director: Wonder Boy
- Koji Tsuchida, Director: Shadow Squadron/Stellar Assault
- Tomoyuki Ito, Director: The Super Shinobi II/Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Toru Yoshida, Designer: Phantasy Star II, IV
- Tombo Arikawa, Designer: Rent A Hero
- Ryutaro Nonaka, Planner: Metal Head
- Naofumi Hataya, Sound Designer: Golden Axe II, Virtua Racing Deluxe
Risks and challenges
We'll be working with a proven art book printer to produce this second run and sourcing comparable (if not even better quality) papers, so we foresee that the production process will run smoothly and be straightforward.
We will immediately communicate any issues we face to our backers, should they arise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (44 days)