The Fallen World
The Fallen World
The Fallen World is a stealth focused survival horror rpg set in a city where pain is god and life itself is only a means to suffering.
The Fallen World is a stealth focused survival horror rpg set in a city where pain is god and life itself is only a means to suffering. Read more
About this project
The Fallen World is a game about player agency. A spooky roller coaster combined with a test of reflexes can be fun, but misses the point of what makes horror scary and fails to take advantage of the core strength of the medium of video games; interactivity. The Fallen World tasks players not just with surviving, but with actively plotting a course through the nightmare world they inhabit. With UE4 we've been able to craft a world rich with individuals and forces all proceeding with their own plots and agendas. Quick reflexes will help, but only quick wits will ensure survival.
- Third Person Stealth Survival Horror
- An open city to explore
- Player driven narrative
- Multiple Endings
- Story driven skill system
The Fallen World
Long have you journeyed, as have I. You must be tired, as I was before I came to understand the truth. The friction in your soul is more than a trick of sensation. You are connected. You perceive what the unseeing have chosen to shun. You have been told all your life that the avoidance of pain is virtuous but your heart speaks differently. Have you ever eaten a meal so filling as the one one which lifted you from starvation? When were you more alive than when you raised your hands above your head to strike down a hated foe? Indeed you sleep at night and pray for a world of peace and mercy but hear me now. It would be a hell for you. The peace of The Unseeing is no more than an illusion. This world is the only truth. Pain is the only truth. Take your place with the Choir. Embrace the Chorus of Pain.
The Fallen World is a stealth based survival horror game set in a city where pain is god and life itself is only a means to suffering. Players take control of a survivor, people who scavenge the city for food, water, and a safe place to sleep at night. Only those with enough tools to barter for a nights protection will find rest from the frothing nightmares of the city streets. The game features an open world, in game decisions which directly drive the narrative, and eldritch horrors.
Survival in a city on the brink
Survival in The Fallen World’s stark streets requires scavenging. Gameplay revolves around the player “acquiring” enough food and water to survive and barter for a safe place to sleep (the only way to save the game). As tensions mount this prospect grows in difficulty, or disappears entirely dependent on player choice.
From the start the player is presented with a small piece of a much larger and more intricate puzzle of goals and allegiances than they have information to solve. Piecing together these motivations and actions is how the player survives. Figuring out a way orchestrate them to the player's benefit is how the game is won. Successfully navigating The Fallen World requires careful observation as well as quick reflexes.
Player led narrative is at the heart of the game’s design.
Funds raised will go towards:
- Hiring a modeler and animator to create gorgeous monstrosities and emotional character animations. The base human models are already created and animated with regard to gameplay. The existing animations can be tweaked for other humanoid creatures but any non bipedal models require custom animations and rigs. Cutscene animations and lip sync will also require additional talent to complete.
- Audio engineering. Building tense moments and foreboding atmosphere is as much about audio as it is about visuals. This could be done internally but given the scope of the game we'd like to bring in a dedicated composer and audio engineer to focus on nothing but elevating the experience via sound.
- Development costs. This includes hosting fees, marketing costs, Marketplace fees for Steam, keeping the lights on, computer repair and anything else that might block the way to release.
- Kickstarter's cut as well as the payment processor's.
- QA and (potentially) Console porting costs. We'll need to test or have someone test the game on a wide variety of systems to ensure compatibility. The game will initially only be available for PC but if we raise enough funds an XBONE and PS4 release is planned.
Risks and challenges
We've done everything we can to reduce risks but real world game development always has a few perils.
The main risks are under funding and over scoping. Of the $14K we're seeking we'll be left with about $11K after fees and fulfillment costs. That leaves at maximum a nine month window in which to finish the game. To counter this we'll offer a paid early access program if we run out of funds before completion.
Scoping is a balancing act between making the game the best it can be and allotting enough time to complete it. To this end a core version of the game's absolute minimum is in development and will be released to Inductee and above tier backers later this year (currently targeting October). Having your feedback will allow us to concentrate our efforts on the parts which are most important to you and minimize feature creep.
Thank you for your support and we hope you enjoy the game!
Support this project
- (30 days)