Welcome! A Year and a Day is an anthropomorphic series set in 1940s Britain in the world of Code Name: Hunter. Co-created by Darc and Matt Sowers, A Year and a Day tells the story of how Princess Moraine learned to control her magic and created a treaty with the Fey... as seen through the eyes of her butler, Robert Allen.
A Year and a Day is rated PG for some mildly frightening images and characters in peril.
Edit: The Field Agent tier is for a signed print copy of Issue 2, a PDF of the issue, and a pin - not Issue 1. Sorry for the confusion.
In Issue 1 we were introduced to Robert Allen, Moraine's butler and, unknown to her, bodyguard. Issue 2 continues the story. Things have been going missing in the Palace. At first they were small, worthless objects. Not anymore. When jewelry and silver start to disappear, Allen suspects a certain footman... but has no proof. Unfortunately said footman has information that could end Allen's career. Meanwhile, the Wild Hunt is closing in.
The issue is twenty-four pages, full color.
We also have catch-up options available for folks who missed adding Issue 1 to their collection. Issue 1 is 32 pages in length... 24 pages of story and 8 pages of world guide! Print versions of both Issue 1 and 2 are only available through Kickstarter and at conventions. They will not be sold through our online shop.
We did! We currently have four pins available...
- Ruby from 'Code Name: Hunter'
- Fred from The Wild Hunt
- Herne, the leader of The Wild Hunt
- and RCSI's own magic detecting mushrooms
The caps of the mushrooms and the moon behind Herne glow in the dark for a little extra fun! All pins are hard enamel with double pin backs. Pins are 1.5 inches on their longest side.
A Year and a Day is a prequel to our first series, Code Name: Hunter. Code Name: Hunter follows the adventures of Max and Ruby, two agents of The Royal Center of Special Investigations, as they deal with magic, the Fey, and failed attempts at diplomacy. It ran from 2005 - 2017 and is currently being re-run online three days a week.
If you missed Code Name: Hunter the first time around and don't want to wait for the series to be re-posted online, we have a tier which includes all five volumes of the series! Over 800 pages of comics!
Volume 0 - The Breaking of the Seal: In which a war occurs, magic returns, and a group of nutters gather together and form an agency.
- Ever wondered just how RCSI got its start? Here's your answer! Collected within are the first three issues of Code Name: Hunter documenting the story of Roderick and the founders of RCSI.
Volume 1 - A Political Spell: In which Max takes a stab at diplomacy and Ruby complains about fashion.
- When the agency finds itself desperate for a mage - their mage having been blown up in a bizarre cursed drum incident - they're left with only one place to turn... the neighboring nation of Astoria. Unfortunately, relations with the Astorian government have been shaky. With an agent missing and a treaty in the balance, Max and Ruby are sent over to act as escorts to the new mage. Only to have someone attempt to kill them! The more they discover about Astoria, the more they suspect RCSI is hiding something. What's the agency's secret, and just who is the murderous person behind the dark robe?
Volume 2 - Internal Affairs: In which Ruby learns a few secrets and Max dances with the Fey.
- It's a time of revealed secrets. Moraine learns some unsettling facts about RCSI's activities in Astoria, Ruby learns about her parents' relations to Cedric, and Max... learns that his folks still don't understand what his job actually is. Meanwhile, the Treaty Night with the Fey is coming. Has Moraine's insistence on Max being there made him a sitting duck?
Volume 3 - Fairy Tale: In which Max meets the Founder and Gillian spins a yarn.
- A simple courier mission has turned into something more interesting for the tired Max. Not only has he discovered The Lost Squadron, he's located the Founder of RCSI himself - Jacob Roderick, long thought dead! The story of what happened to Roderick over fifty years ago is finally revealed!
Volume 4 - Agent of Chaos: In which Max gets destructive and Puck triggers a trap.
- When an agent turns up missing after Treaty Night, a series of events is set in motion. The goal of RCSI... to retrieve Agent Nyx. The goal of Gavin... to complete his blood oath against Max. The goal of Max... to cause as much chaos as possible. As for Puck... he has goals of his own.
Due to the nerve damage in her arm Darc rarely opens for commissions. She's opening five slots for this Kickstarter! Slots are for 11x17 inch sized digital images at 300 DPI, suitable for printing. Multiple characters are welcome as are backgrounds. Darc loves drawing backgrounds! She does ask that commissions do not contain sexual acts.
We've some extra fun planned! With your help the fun can be doubled, tripped, even quadrupled! Check these goals out!
UNLOCKED! At $1,000 we'll add an extra four pages to the issue containing part of the World Guide for A Year and a Day / Code Name: Hunter. These pages will not be available online!
UNLOCKED! At $1,500 we'll add an additional four pages of World Guide to the issue!
UNLOCKED! At $2,000 we'll produce a new pin design!
UNLOCKED! At $2,500 we'll produce a 5x7 print for everyone who's pledged at a physical level!
UNLOCKED! At $3,000 we'll produce a new pin design!
At $3,500 we'll send out digital copies of Darc's "Art Of" books to all backers. These were high quality, textless versions of comics featuring all the steps from sketches to shaded color for each page.
At $4,000 we'll produce a new pin design!
At $5,000... Darc will produce a 12 page, black and white Ashcan (minicomic for those of you who aren't as old as us). A digital download will be sent out after it's complete. (Likely sometime in First Quarter 2019).
Want something a little extra to share with a friend? You can increase your Kickstarter pledges by the indicated amount to receive additional issues or pins.
$ 6.00 - A copy for a friend. Add another copy of either Issue 1 or Issue 2 to your pledge.
$ 10.00 - Add your choice of pin to your pledge.
$25.00 - Add digital copies of the original comics from our first series, Code Name: Hunter!
Thank you for reading! We look forward to sharing the further adventures of Allen and the agents of RCSI with you!
Risks and challenges
As of the start of this campaign Issue 2 is still being drawn. We expect to have it finished by early September. There may be a possible delay due to printing errors in the run. If this occurs, we will keep folks informed. Same with the manufacturing of any additional pins.
Commissions will take longer due to the amount of time required to complete them between working on the comic. I expect to have the final files out to folks by January of next year. Commissions will be worked on in the order the slots are filled. All non-commission media in The Huntmaster tier will be shipped out at the same time as the other tiers' media.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)