The music in the trailer was created by BRENDAN WALSH
Catch Monsters is a 2D open-world RPG adventure. Exploration, card-based combat, and catching monsters are at the heart of the game. If the game is funded it will be available on PC, Mac and Linux.
There are three major categories of Monsters: Elemental, Feral and Mystic.
- Elemental Monsters are collections of otherwise inanimate matter, brought to life by an Elemental Spirit that inhabits the material. Sometimes Elementals are even crafted by Humans and manually infused with a Spirit. They do not feel pain and are in most cases very unintelligent and willfully subservient.
- Feral Monsters are hotblooded, animal-like creatures. They reproduce similarly to Humans and have a traceable evolutionary history. Feral Monsters are often carnivores and prey on each other in their own vicious ecosystem.
- Mystic Monsters are more difficult to categorize and are often used as a “miscellaneous” category for scholars to place Monsters that do not fall into the Feral or Elemental category. Mystic Monsters are often very intelligent, rivaling even Human intellect in some cases. Many Mystic Monsters share similar markings on their skin and body, indicating a more distinct unification.
Monsters are commonly acquired by knocking them out in the wild and using an item to subdue or contain them (if it is legal). Elementals can be contained in a specialized jar while a variety of collars are used on Mystic and Feral Monsters. Monsters can also be purchased at a bazaar or even crafted!
Monsters are trained both in battle and by using them outside of battle. For example, using your Wooly Tusk as a mount will train it and allow it to level up. This will unlock abilities such as new Moves in battle or even upgrades to its speed outside of battle!
The combat in Catch Monsters is card-based, allowing you to assemble a customizable deck of moves that your Monsters will use in battle. The combat moves at a fast pace but still requires you to think about your decisions every turn.
How it works:
- You and your opponent take turns selecting moves until either you or your opponent surrenders or has their full team of Monsters incapacitated. A Monster is knocked out when its Hit Points reach 0.
- Every turn you gain 1 Max Energy and you will regain all the Energy you spent last turn. You will use this energy to play Moves.
- You will draw 2 Moves at the beginning of your turn. You may play only one of them and you may “hold” one of them until your next turn. Moves may do any number of things but most commonly they deal damage that is subtracted from the enemy Monsters’ Hit Points.
- Your Monsters have abilities that are triggered by actions you take during battle. These abilities may be triggered at any time.
While exploring the world of Catch Monsters you will undertake quests both in a main story arc as well as side arcs in a similar fashion to The Elder Scrolls series. The rewards for these quests can be a new Monster, an item, or a Move that can be used in combat.
Aside from the main quest line, the major side arcs involve the three joinable factions that represent each type of Monster.
- The Elemental Guild is a collection of engineers and scientists devoted to the study and creation of Elemental Monsters. Joining their ranks allows for experimentation and the eventual creation of Elementals from basic materials found on your journey.
- The Feral Fraternity is a pack of wild men who respect Feral Monsters enough to personally engage them in hand-to-claw combat. Joining the Feral Fraternity is the first step to using your own Human body in battle!
- The Monks of the Inner Eye are a peaceful yet influental organization that endeavors to protect Mystic Monsters wherever they dwell. These monks revere the Mystic-type Monster, Toaddha, as a religious icon. Joining the Monks provides an opportunity to bond with and train Monsters that are otherwise illegal to own.
Your name will appear in the credits of Catch Monsters as a “Kickstarter Backer”! You will receive the soundtrack of Catch Monsters, a Catch Monsters wallpaper, and a digital art book. You will also have my heartfelt thanks.
You will receive a digital copy of Catch Monsters when the game is released. If it has been Greenlit on Steam at this point you will receive a Steam key. You will also receive the $5 tier reward (name in credits, swag, and my thanks).
You will start your Catch Monsters adventure with an exclusive Albino Wooly (!) and the Backer’s Regalia. Catch Monsters in style. This comes with all the rewards above of course.
Contribute to the development of Catch Monsters! You will get access to the game before it is released and offer feedback on exclusive backer forums if you are interested. Your name will be listed in the credits as a “Play Tester”. This comes with all previous rewards.
Fredville? Natasha Springs? Put your name on a place in Catch Monsters or name that location something else (within reason). Your name will be listed in the credits as a “Significant Contributor” and you will receive all of the lower tier rewards.
Become immortalized as a Non-Player Character in Catch Monsters. Send me a picture of yourself and I will create an NPC in your likeness in the game. Your name will be listed in the credits as a “Top Contributor” and you will receive all of the lower tier rewards.
Do you have a cool idea for a Monster that could be in the game? Send me a digital drawing, doodle on a napkin, or even just a verbal description and I will work with you to create your Monster. You will be listed as a "Contributing Designer" in the credits and you will receive every other reward!
I will add a new Monster type that I have been dreaming about: Eldritch. These demonic Monsters are darkly intelligent and exist to spite and torment Humans. Many Eldritch Monsters are parasitic and inhabit the bodies of Humans to fulfill their malicious agendas. The Eldritch Cult is a group of Humans that embraces the grip of these beings. You may join them if you are as deranged as they are.
I will develop a companion app that will allow you to train your Monsters and build decks of Moves on iOS and Android devices. The app will not be a port of the game, but something that supplements the PC experience.
The combat system is designed to be balanced for multiplayer and is well suited for competitive play. I will implement an in-world Arena that acts as a multiplayer lobby to facilitate 1 on 1 battles with online opponents. The Arena will provide options for players to create gametypes that prohibit certain Moves, control the size of decks etc.
My name is Daniel Mullins and I am the only guy working on this game! Well, a good friend of mine is doing some of the music but it’s mostly all me. I have been making games for years by publishing indie titles, working at larger game studios as a programmer and designer, participating in game jams, and just making hobby projects.
I am so passionate about making video games that getting paid to make someone else’s game is just not good enough for me. Catch Monsters is a game I have been dreaming about making for years. Some of the ideas I am implementing now have been bouncing around my head since I picked up a Gameboy Color and played the original Pokemon as a child. Getting backed on Kickstarter is so important to me because it represents a large group of people saying “yes” to me making my own games, my own way.
Risks and challenges
This is an ambitious game for a developer to tackle on their own. However, I have completed a lot of the project already and what remains has been meticulously planned. The worst case scenario is that the game takes longer than my projected 4-6 months; but regardless of setbacks I promise to release a completed product that I am proud of.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)