Let's face it... most writing apps suck.
But Artiquill isn't most apps... Artiquill combines the simplistic distraction free experience of an old fashioned typewriter in your overly-zen apartment, with the horsepower of the latest and greatest spelling and grammar aids -- all powered by an advanced natural speech engine. The result? A beautiful, feature packed, writer-oriented editor that helps you meet your deadline, and dramatically improve your writing prowess.
The initial development of the v1 alpha app is nearly complete. Over the next few months we will go through the process of refining and improving upon it. We will also likely open a beta of the app within the next month or two. Interested in our long-term vision? See the v2 section below.
- Focus Mode: Clean, zen-like interface -- simple, distraction free formatting options. Optional night mode (white text on black background). Allows you to focus purely on the writing.
- Writing Toolbox: Easily insertable transition words and phrases. More toolbox features to follow.
- Integrated Thesaurus: Instant search for synonyms. Never have to leave the app and lose focus. Words can be easily inserted with a single click.
- Over 11 natural language engine grammar correction modules (cliches, diacritics, contractions, indefinite articles, passive voice, redundant acronyms, repeated words, overused words, etc.)
- Word goals (with completion percentage) & writing statistics (words, pages, sentences, paragraphs, average sentence length, etc.)
Artiquill will be released first for Mac (definitely) and Windows (almost definitely), with Linux to follow shortly after. The iOS and Android apps don't have a specific time frame for release, but they are in the pipeline.
- - - - - - - - - -
While v1 has yet to be completed, we are already hard at work on the foundations of the second version of Artiquill. v2 will combine the best features of v1, with our new development philosophy and module development plans below.
Features are great, and the more well-designed features the better. Yet not every writer has the same needs, nor do they desire the clutter of unused features -- a philosophy our editors should reflect.
In the interest of avoiding the feature bloat dilemma, the base Artiquill editor will be highly barebones (a blank page on which to write, without formatting options or any additional features enabled out of the box).
Artiquill feature sets may then be enabled individually, allowing the writer to sculpt the editor around their specific needs, and desires.
Here are the feature sets we have planned:
- Editor Enhancement Module: This module will enhance the barebones editor with the specific formatting tools you choose to enable.
- Language Improvement & Grammar Module: Powered by an advanced natural language processing engine, this module will correct over 11 types of common writing mistakes (with more on the way). Say goodbye to the incorrect usage of cliches, diacritics, contractions, indefinite articles, passive voice, redundant acronyms, repeated words, overused words, and much more.
- Goal & Deadline Module: This module will allow you to set a word, paragraph, or page goal, and view detailed progress reports, including the estimated time till completion at your current writing speed.
- Writing Toolbox Module: This module will provide easily insertable, context suitable transition words to help improve the flow and quality of writing.
- Thesaurus Module: This module will deliver an instantly searchable synonym finder. No need to leave the editor and risk losing your focus.
- Academic Module: This module will provide an advanced citation management tool. Add, insert, and update citations quickly and easily. Select your style format (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc), and the module will correct your writing to conform with the chosen style.
- Storytelling Module: This module will deliver simple yet powerful story outlining and management tools throughout the writing process. Set up hierarchies of easily manageable characters, places, and plots.
If you have any feedback, suggestions for desired features or even a complete module, please get in touch!
Risks and challenges
Our development team works full time in addition to working on this project, so the only real risk is we'll get busy, and updates will take longer.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)