Luna Shattered Hearts Episode 1
Luna Shattered Hearts Episode 1
Confront your dark past, climb out of the deepest pit, find love, and go to war for a tyrannized tribe teetering on extinction.
Confront your dark past, climb out of the deepest pit, find love, and go to war for a tyrannized tribe teetering on extinction. Read more
About this project
I have added a Paypal button for my international friends!
Its been a pretty long road to get this far, but by working as much as I can in my off hours I am making great progress on Luna! I have reached a point where I need funding to enhance Audio, build a website, and bring it to the widest possible audience. As my main incentive for all backers I am providing free access to Luna Closed Beta. I am also going to provide my business email address to all backers so I can receive valuable feedback to make this game as polished as possible before I release to the public. $10 and up Tiers will also be receiving access to the game when it is released on GillisGames.com. (Currently tested on PC)
What is Luna?
Luna - Shattered Hearts - Episode 1 is the first chapter of an Epic Fantasy Legacy! Without ruining the whole plot,itcenters around two main characters, Lithien and Dez. They have both done terrible things. Over the course of the game you see them both go through a metamorphosis from being self centered disasters into the heroes that can confront adversity, help others, and change the world! Along the way they form a sort-of... "family of rejects."
I have spent a lot of time throughout my life making Retro games and they follow a similar pattern. Most retro style 2D games reuse tiled images or tile-sets. When I started working on Luna 6 years ago, I decided that I was going to do something unique. I was going to make a retro game that used entirely hand-drawn backgrounds while still keeping the levels big where you can scroll around in them. This does create a steeper system requirement for Luna but in time I found that the world was amazing to explore. In nature you don't see straight lines or 45 degree slopes like in Mario, but instead you see variances like in the Fibonacci Sequence. This gives the gamer so much more to experience and feels more natural. Instead of looking a repeating tiles. "The user sees a truly unique world that they can explore."
What exactly will the funds be used for?
- Create an Amazing Soundtrack for Luna (Dan Reynolds)
- Hire Voice Actors to Enhance the Drama.
- Create all Original Sound Effects (Dan Reynolds)
- Purchase a Full Construct 2 Commercial License
- Purchase 3 additional Commercial Construct 2 Licenses (See Kicking It Forward Below)
- Cover Kickstarter Reward Incentives Program.
- Add Salamander Sword (This is to make it fun!)
- A full featured website will be designed as a primary Luna portal
- Create a purchasing Portal with the protected and embedded Game.
- Create a forum for people to chat in.
- Do our best attempt at "Player Leaderboards" showcasing rare items
- Add a Developer Blog for me to share progress reports and news.
- Step up our efforts with more voice actors and live players
- This will help cover the website hosting costs.
- If we don't hit this goal we will still be making Gillisgames.com but it will take Chris and I a lot longer to create the website without funding.
- If we hit the 15k goal Dan R. and I will be making a seamless/layered audio engine that is more dynamic.
- Add Elf Blade (This is to make it fun!)
- Expand Luna Landing Zone to be twice as big.
- Develop a prototyping map editor so it is easier to plan out levels before committing so much time and effort to them in the mock up phase.
- New Windows test rig (my current rig is Dated)
- New Apple test rig (non-existent)
- Iphone Developer License
- 1 year subscription to "Adobe Creative Cloud."
- ZBRUSH for rapid posing / prototyping rock structures and backgrounds
- Repair Cintiq 12WX (Need new 12WX Video control unit PLB03, PLB-03)
- I will also be using the funds for advertising through Google Ads, iAds, Deviant art Shiny Ads, etc.
- I would also like to hire an accountant.
- Potential for adding another artist.
- Add Fox Sword (This is to make it fun!)
- Potential for full time work on Luna! (The world will grow a lot faster!) It would certainly be a dream to work on Luna full time. I have so many ideas for this game. If I could work on it full time it could become something more. It could reach its full potential. This is a long shot but I thought I would at least list it.
- Major Game Engine Overhaul
- I want to make this game epicly huge. The only way I can do this is if I can work on it full time for a few years.
- Add Doom Gate! (This is to make it fun!)
Lead Coder, Lead Artist, and Story:
Web Design, Hosting, and Legal:
Music and Sound Composition:
- Dan Reynolds (Sound Lead)
- Gary D Wingo (Live Player - Select Tracks)
How far into development is Luna Episode 1 and when is the expected release date?
Luna is well underway but it is not done. At this point the beta is an advanced tech demo with a lot going on. I haven't done much testing outside of PC so I am anxious to get feedback from a wide range of architectures. I still need to add in story and audio. If I can raise enough money I would like to add side quests and additional maps to Episode 1. The audio is only stand in sounds at this point. It is hard to say when Luna will be completed. I work on it nearly every second of my 'off time' but refuse to release it until it is done, polished, and the code is optimized. If I can work on it full-time it will get done a lot quicker obviously. I hope to complete the game in 2013, with your help.
What Can I expect from the beta?
Beta will allow people to play along as I develop Luna. These early supporters will be there to watch it grow. You will be given a log in for the beta. The beta version of Luna will be played in your browser. We will be releasing different versions as time progresses and Luna grows. There will be bugs, struggles, ups-and-downs. hurdles, small triumphs, and friendships forged! I'm hoping you will take this adventure with me! Aside from a small group of family and friends, Kickstarter backers will be the only ones allowed in the beta.
System Specs Needed To Play Luna:
Most hi-mid range machines will run the game fine at 30fps / 60fps. I will be lowering the specs as the engine becomes more optimized and makes better use of resources.
Minimum System Requirements:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.40 Ghz
- NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
- 2GB of System RAM (3GB is better!)
Recommended System Specs:
- An i5 level processor.
- An ATI 6850 or equivalent GPU
- 4GB of System RAM
What OS/Platforms will be supported?
The game is playable in any Chrome, Safari, or Firefox browser that has WebGL enabled. (This is standard on Windows and MAC but not yet on Iphone and Android).
- Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, MAC OSX
- Please Note: I have currently only tested on Windows XP and Windows 7
Windows 7 Users! - The recently released hotfixes KB2735855 and KB2750841 have been confirmed to cause data corruption during the download when a 3rd party driver working at Windows Filtering Platform layer intervenes in the communication. 3rd Party vendors have demonstrated it using a sample driver from Windows Development Kit and will contact Microsoft to address the issue with as highest priority as possible. In the mean time we strongly recommend removing this hotfix until Microsoft comes up with a solution. These hotfixes are currently affecting Luna and other HTML5 projects on Windows 7 Machines running Intel CPUs. The Workaround is to uninstall KB2735855 and KB2750841 from Add Remove Programs while we wait for Microsoft to respond.
- I would like to add support for Android, iPhone, iPad, but I have not been able to test on theses platforms to see if they can handle the resource intensive Luna game. If we hit the 25k tier I will purchasing additional hardware to test on.
- WebGL is needed to run Luna smoothly and this is currently disabled on Iphone 5 and Android. It looks like they are moving to turn this on inside their built in browser but this is yet to be seen.
I defiantly want to open up Luna to the World. Some of my biggest fans are in Brazil and Canada and I think this is just awesome! You know who you are! ;P
Risks and challenges
Challenges abound, but rest assured I will do everything in my power to make this game the best it can be!
With your help I am going to make Luna a spectacular game.
There will be struggles, ups-and-downs. hurdles, small triumphs, and friendships forged! I'm hoping you will take this adventure with me!
Thanks for looking and helping to make Luna possible!
DanLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)