The Short Version:
Damansara will be a Malaysian restaurant in San Francisco that unites eclectic Malaysian flavors with diverse palates. The casual noodle bar is an expansion of successful Malaysian pop up under the @EatWithTracy Instagram handle, which has received encouraging support around the Bay Area since 2013. The restaurant will be specializing in traditional Malaysian noodle meals collectively known as laksa. The mid-range casual eatery offers a menu of assorted laksa options, appetizers, seasonal specials and beverages.
What others say about Tracy's Malaysian food:
Tracy was born and raised in Malaysia. She moved to the United States in 2012 where she subsequently left her desk job to become a food entrepreneur. In the beginning, cooking for no more than six guests was more of a cultural exchange social gathering in an attempt to meet new friends who enjoyed food just as much. The intimate dinner parties quickly turned into 20 to 60 people events. Fast forward to 2019, over 500 pop-ups and a few thousand diners later, we are ready for a permanent space.
We want to extend the warm tropical spirit of Malaysia and share another type of noodle experience with this city that really embraces noodle soups from other parts of Asia. Damansara's Malaysian food is hot, full of flavor and comforting on the many foggy days in San Francisco.
Why You Should Back This Project:
1) If you have been following our sporadic pop-up journey and wishing you could one day stop by at your convenience instead of waiting for a pop-up date that finally works for you - Damansara Restaurant is your answer :)
2) If you're reading this and find yourself wondering what laksa is and why there are hardly any actual Malaysian restaurants in the city, now is the time to help fill the void.
3) Rewards. We're all about meaningful connections, so we have chosen to spend time on creating special (and delicious) experiences with you in person rather than emphasizing on shipping things. That said, the limited edition items are thoughtfully designed and selected by Tracy and talented friends.
How We Will Use the Fund:
1) Staffing: Good people are valuable assets to a business.
2) Inventory: Equipment, furniture, fixtures, tableware...things we need to get started.
3) The Space: Renovations, fresh paint, things we need to get the space ready for opening.
Is the Food Going to be a Hit?
Come taste it for yourself before backing. We're still actively popping up every weekend. Make a reservation before June 29 to find out if Tracy's got the chops.
"Damansara" is named after Tracy's childhood home in Damansara Utama, a suburb that borders the west of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital city. The neighborhood hosts some of the most popular hawker centers and restaurants in the city.
Bandana Design (WIP)
Updated 06/18/19: Here's the sketch for the bandana. All original pencil drawing by Aron Pruiett. Check out the flying noodles and quintessential laksa ingredients! This week we are refining the drawing and working with a US printer on fabric and color. Pledge $35 now to receive the cotton bandana and laksa bowl sticker set.
Stickers for Backers
Updated 05/31/19: Check out the laksa bowl stickers illustrated by my talented friend, Liew Kah Sing! We are still finalizing the designs. These are the works in progress:
Risks and challenges
Our current challenge is to find a location that we can afford within San Francisco. We are also looking into building the Damansara team on a modest budget. Fulfilling all rewards within stated timeline will be our priority as soon as the project is funded.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (50 days)