Margraves of Valeria is a hand-building worker-placement game set in the fantasy world of Valeria. It's the fifth stand-alone game in the series and brings the familiar feel of the previous games (with icons, characters, and easy turns) while building on familiar mechanics you'd expect (off-turn bonuses, multi-use cards, and resource-management).
You are a Margrave, a military commander tasked with defending the land of Valeria and building magical Ward Towers at cities. Knights move around the map at the command of whichever player is in their current location to slay monsters, gain or ship resources, gather Strength, and recruit Citizens toward main goal of gaining influence over the 4 Guilds: Worker, Soldier, Shadow, and Holy. As you gain influence, you'll buy your way across thresholds that earn you privilege tiles which give you bonuses to various actions, gain you more resources, or increase your end-game scoring.
At the end of the game, you'll earn victory points based on how much influence you have over a Guild and how many icons you've gained of that Guild. The Margrave with the most victory points at the end of the game will be named a Duke or Duchess and given their own province to protect and grow!
Turns are deceptively simple as you play just 1 Citizen card from your hand each turn. However, each Citizen card can be used in four different ways: movement icons in the pennant (top-left), power text (at the bottom), or played face-down to perform one of the two actions on your player board (Recall your cards or Build a Ward Tower).
Key features include:
- Hand Building - Much like deck-building, you are recruiting Citizen cards into your hand increasing your powers, victory points, and game-play options.
- Multi-use Cards - Each card can be used in one of four ways, leaving you a lot of decision-making room to execute your strategy.
- Worker-Placement - Each time you move your Margrave or a Knight into a location, you activate the power of that location much like a worker placement game.
- Shared Workers - The Knights on the game board do not belong to a single player (anyone can use them) so be careful not to setup your opponents with powerful turns.
- Resource Management - You have limited storage spots on your player board and using them effectively (without wasting tokens) is key to winning the game.
- Hero Tombs - As you send Knights into battle, they die glorious deaths and are sent to tombs where you can collect bonuses in a well-integrated mini-game.
- Influence Track - Gain influence over the 4 Guilds by moving your markers across the tracks which will earn you more victory points at the end of the game for icons you collect.
- Fantastic Art - As with previous Valeria games, the Mico has really outdone himself by creating a rich and dynamic world full of color and life.
For this Kickstarter we have decided not to offer any stretch goals. Instead, all components will be upgraded from day one! Linen finish, black core cards, premium wooden tokens, thicker punchboard etc. On top of that, we are also including 4 free Margraves bonus packs with each copy of Margraves of Valeria:
Kickstarter backers at the $49 level and above will receive the bonus packs at no additional charge. These are Kickstarter Limited Exclusives and will not be available at retail. They may be available on our website, conventions, or the BGG Store for $5 each. This is our gift to you for helping us bring Margraves of Valeria to life.
Please back at the $1 level and message us directly.
Designer & Artist...
English Backer Rewards will ship from region-friendly hubs in the USA, Canada, European Union, and Australia. You will receive your rewards several weeks ahead of the game's retail release date. If your country is outside of those regions, you will be responsible for any taxes, fees, or import duties that may be charged by your local governments or postal services. Please note: We have included less-than-full-price shipping on all pledge levels.
German Backer Rewards will ship from Schwerkraft-Verlag in Germany, approximately three weeks before the game's retail release date. Remember, the German language edition is only available for delivery to Germany and Austria.
Retailer Rewards will ship from our USA hub warehouse approximately six weeks after the cargo has left China and approximately six weeks before the game's retail release date.
Over more than four years, Daily Magic Games has built a community of gamers here on Kickstarter and we want to give those loyal backers an opportunity to influence the creation of our newest projects, both through funding and through the lively discourse that evolves during the Kickstarter phase of development.
Much has been said recently about publishers starting new projects before their previous project is fulfilled. That system might work for a designer who is self-publishing a game, but for an up-and-coming company like Daily Magic Games, that system is not viable. At any point in time we are working on several projects in various stages of completion. Right now, for example:
Our Most Recent Funded Projects: Of the last three successful campaigns, one is complete, one is in transit, and one is in production.
- VCK Crimson Seas and Corsairs of Valeria – This product is at the printer and we expect to fulfill the rewards to backers in November 2019.
- Thieves Den – Currently in transit from China to warehouses in the USA, Europe, and Australia.
- Chocolatiers – This project is complete. Backer rewards were fulfilled on time.
Projects in Development: Every game we create is a discrete project with its own development schedule and its own budget for production and marketing expenses.
- Panorama: Hawaii – This 2-player blind bidding game was designed by Keith Piggot and illustrated by Claire Donaldson. We expect to take this project directly to market in time for the holiday season.
- Amarynth Rising – This re-imagining of Sunrise City, Isaias Vallejo's first published game, is being illustrated by Denis Martynets right now. Amarynth Rising uses action-selection, tile-placement, and targeted-scoring to tell the tale of the founding of the fantastical city from Thieves Den and 10 Minute Heist: The Wizard's Tower. We expect to bring this game to Kickstarter in late 2019.
- Sailing Toward Osiris: Pharaoh's Pyramid – This expansion project failed to raise the needed funds in its first time on Kickstarter, but we'll bring it back for a second try later in 2019.
- Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria – This new stand-alone Valeria-Universe game switches things up by making players be the monsters planning battles against the Kingdom of Valeria. Shadow Kingdoms of Valeria is a dice-drafting and contract-fulfillment game designed by Stan Kordonskiy and illustrated by Mihajlo "The Mico" Dimitrievski. We expect to bring this game to Kickstarter in early 2020.
- Unnamed Valeria Roll & Write – This game is in early development.
- Unnamed Horizons Expansion – This expansion is in early development.
If you've missed out on any of our recent Game projects, you can pre-order Kickstarter versions from our Pre-Orders Page.
Who Is DMG?
Daily Magic Games is a designer-friendly and customer-focused publisher specializing in casual tabletop games that are easy to learn and play, yet layered with strategy and depth.
- Isaias Vallejo, Wizard-in-Chief, Game Designer, and Game Developer
- David MacKenzie, Conjurer, Game Designer, and Game Developer
We're based in Seattle, Washington and like to promote the growth of game design in the Pacific Northwest. To this end, we created a playtesting event network called PlaytestNW to help local designers meet each other and engage with playtesters at regularly occurring Meetup events. Our hope is that we're helping designers build better games.
Risks and challenges
Daily Magic Games is committed to delivering quality products on time. We realize that the publication of a board game can be complicated and, no matter how experienced the project creators and mangers are, some problems may occur. In an effort to reduce the likelihood of delays and mistakes, we have taken several steps to prepare for success:
1. This game project, as well as the Kickstarter campaign itself, are in the hands of two well-seasoned professionals. David MacKenzie has been running Kickstarter projects since 2010 and Isaias Vallejo comes from a digital games background as production and studio director at Big Fish Games.
2. We are dedicated to backer communication and feedback. We are actively involved in the Comments section of each Kickstarter project and keep backers up to date with plenty of updates during and after the funding process. Throughout every campaign, we are as transparent about the process and as open to feedback as possible without jeopardizing production and delivery timelines.
3. We have completed significant pre-production art, graphic design, and translations on Margraves of Valeria with the exception of the stretch goals. This will allow us to expedite file prep and get the files to printer in a timely fashion.
4. We have our manufacturer lined up and ready to begin the pre-press process as soon as the the files are delivered. We hope that everything goes as planned, but if something falls through the cracks, we are ready and willing to employ every tool at our disposal to get the project back on track and running smoothly.
Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)