Food Truck Champion is a fast-paced card game for 2 to 5 players ages 8+ and plays in about 1 hour.
In Food Truck Champion, you are the owner of a new food truck, out to make a name for yourself. Hire staff, cook food, and please customers to earn awards and gain popularity. At the end of the day, the food truck with the most popularity wins!
Game cards can be used for 3 distinct functions: Staff Action, Order Ticket, or Ingredient. Clever hand management and action selections will be key in using your game cards to help you win the game. You'll also need to time actions so that you can gain cards from the Marketplace (center card pool) that benefit you the most!
On your turn, you can either do Market Research (draw 2 cards), Take Charge (draw your Owner/Wild card), or initiate an Action Round by playing a card from your hand as a Staff Action. Use Staff Actions to move cards to and from different zones (the Marketplace, your Hand, Player Board) in an effort to complete Orders Tickets.
There are 5 different Staff Actions:
- Driver: Move a card from the Marketplace to your Fridge as an Ingredient.
- Cashier: Move a card from the Marketplace to your Plating Area as an Order Ticket.
- Manager: Move a card from the Marketplace to your Hired Staff for a bonus Staff Action in future turns.
- Prep Cook: Move a card that is an Ingredient from your Fridge to an Order Ticket in your Plating Area.
- Exec. Chef: Play a card as an Ingredient from your hand onto an Order Ticket in your Plating Area.
When you complete an Order Ticket, you'll take a Popularity Token from 1 of 3 stacks. Add that token to your Food Truck board to upgrade (level up) your abilities!
The Meat of the Game...
The Action Round is where a lot of tough decisions and game play will take place. If you initiate an Action Round, all other players will get a chance to follow your Staff Action by either playing a card from their hand or relying on one of their Hired Staff.
Be careful, because a player can take several of the same action by following you! For example, if you lead with a Driver, your opponent can have a Driver in their Hired Staff and still play a Driver from their hand to take that action twice! Timing is everything if you want to serve up a hot meal and be the cream of the crop.
We've Sprinkled in Some Spice...
Besides fulfilling Order Tickets for Popularity Tokens, there are 2 more ways to gain bonus points:
- Flavor Profiles: Each food truck has a Flavor Profile that will help you get 5 bonus points for a set. Add Order Tickets to your Awards when a Critique token comes up. This set collection mechanic seamlessly layers in added game play and strategy.
- Signature Dishes: Each Order Ticket has a food truck logo on it signifying that it is one of that food truck's Signature Dish. Try to match Order Tickets that have your food truck logo on them to get a bonus point at the end of the game.
The game ends when 2 out of the 3 Popularity Token stacks are empty. Players take equal turns, then count up their Popularity on tokens they've gained throughout the game, bonus points for sets of Flavor Profile icons in their Awards, and bonus points for Signature Dishes. The player with the most Popularity becomes the FOOD TRUCK CHAMPION!
- 36 Cardboard Tokens
- 5 Player Boards
- 5 Player Cards
- 100 Game Cards
- 1 First Player Card
- 1 Active Player Token
- 1 Beautifully Illustrated Rulebook
Deluxe Food Truck Champion
The Deluxe Food Truck Champion pledge includes everything above, plus the items below.
Kickstarter Limited Exclusive Token
- 1 First Player Knife Token
Kickstarter Limited Exclusive Mini-Helper Expansion
- 6 Double-sided Helper Cards
- 5 Food Truck Logo Cardboard Tokens
We have some great Stretch Goals planned to help us add even more content, illustrations, and upgraded materials! Thank you for your support.
We like to support game stores around the world by offering the Kickstarter versions of the game to retailers during the campaign. We treat retailer backers just like other backers in that they receive their rewards before we release regular retail games into distribution. For pricing, contact David at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every game we create is a discrete project with its own development schedule and it's own budget of production and marketing expenses. We bring each project to Kickstarter when it's ready to give you, our fans and supporters, the opportunity to help us put the final touches on the game and to reserve your copies at the time it will do the game the most good, both financially and creatively.
Some say that a creator should not launch a new project until their previous project is completed and delivered. That system might work for a designer who is self-publishing a game, but for an up-and-coming company like Daily Magic Games, that system is not viable. At any point in time we are working on a dozen projects in various stages of completion. Right now, for example...
- Quests of Valeria is shipping to backers.
- Merchants of Araby is at the printer.
- Go Nuts for Donuts has been taken over by GameWright.
- Kitten Klash is at the printer.
- 10 Minute Heist: The Wizard's Tower is at the printer
- VCK Flames & Frost is at the printer.
- Food Truck Champion is on Kickstarter now.
- Sailing Toward Osiris is prepping for Kickstarter May 2nd .
- Horizons is in final playtesting.
We're hoping that our track record for successfully completing and delivering previous projects will give you the confidence to support this new project, and that the forthright communications we present when projects do hit snags will assuage any fears that we're going to screw it all up.
- Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge delivered one month late in December 2015 and is nearly sold out.
- Valeria: Card Kingdoms delivered on time in January 2016.
- ManaSurge delivered one month late in June 2016 and is currently sold out.
- Villages of Valeria delivered 4 months late due to production and fulfillment delays.
- Quests of Valeria delivered on time in February 2017.
- Merchants of Araby is at the printer and is on-track for early delivery in May 2017.
- Go Nuts for Donuts has partnered with Gamewright and on-track for delivery in July 2017.
- 10 Minute Heist: The Wizard's Tower is at the printer and on-track for delivery in August 2017.
- Valeria: Card Kingdoms - Flames & Frost is at the printer and on-track for delivery in August 2017.
We are very happy to announce that Schwerkraft-Verlag will be joining us on this print run to bring Food Truck Champion in the German language to Germany.
Schwerkraft-Verlag is a German board game publisher specialized in the localization of foreign language games. They are well known for their German versions of Terraforming Mars, Raiders of the North Sea, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, and other top sellers.
They are also an experienced partner when it comes to fulfilling German language pledges. Schwerkraft-Verlag has already provided excellent fulfillment service to backers of games like Mare Nostrum and Catacombs, and we have full confidence in their abilities and customer service.
All backers of a German language version of Food Truck Champion will get their service and delivery via Schwerkraft-Verlag. You can contact them via their website: www.Schwerkraft-Verlag.de
Daily Magic Games is a designer-friendly and customer-focused publisher specializing in casual tabletop games that are easy to learn and play, yet layered with strategy and depth.
- Isaias Vallejo, Wizard-in-Chief, Game Designer, and Developer
- David MacKenzie, Conjurer and Game Developer
- Levi Mote, Alchemist, Game Designer, and Developer
- Sarah Sharp, Enchantress and Convention Event Planner
- Dylan Pharaoh-Whitney, Sorcerer and Graphic Designer
- Claire Donaldson, Illusionist, Illustrator, and Graphic Designer
We are focused on listening to what our customers have to say and making sure that we are producing the type of games you want at the high quality you demand. We are actively involved in the Comments section of each Kickstarter and keep backers up to date with plenty of updates post-Kickstarter. We like to make casual and gateway games in an effort to get more people to the table. Our games are easy to learn to help new players get in to the game faster, but they're also layered with strategy for the more seasoned players.
We're based out of Seattle, Washington and like to focus on the growth and promotion of game design in the Pacific Northwest. We've even started a playtesting event network called playtestNW to help local designers meet each other and engage with playtesters on a regular basis. Our hope is that we're helping designers build better games.
Risks and challenges
Daily Magic Games is committed to delivering quality products on time. We realize that the publication of a board game can be complicated and, no matter how experienced the project creators and mangers are, some problems may occur. In an effort to reduce the likelihood of delays and mistakes, we have taken several steps to prepare for success:
1. This game project, as well as the Kickstarter campaign itself, are in the hands of two well-seasoned professionals. David MacKenzie has been running Kickstarter projects since 2010 (Alien Frontiers, Sunrise City, King's Forge, Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge, Valeria: Card Kingdoms, ManaSurge, Villages of Valeria, Quests of Valeria, Merchants of Araby, Go Nuts For Donuts, 10 Minute Heist), and Isaias Vallejo comes from a digital games background as Executive Producer at Big Fish Games and has designed several successful board games: Sunrise City, Valeria: Card Kingdoms, Valeria: Card Kingdoms - Flames & Frost, Villages of Valeria, and Quests of Valeria.
2. We are dedicated to backer communication and feedback. Throughout every campaign, we are as transparent about the process and as open to feedback as possible without jeopardizing production and delivery timelines.
3. We have done significant pre-production. All the art and graphic design for Food Truck Champion are completed with the exception of the stretch goals content and Helper cards. The art and design for the stretch goals content has been sketched out and is ready to push forward as soon as each goal is achieved.
4. We have our manufacturer lined up and ready to begin the pre-press process as soon as the the files are delivered. We hope that everything goes as planned, but if something falls through the cracks, we are ready and willing to employ every tool at our disposal to get the project back on track and running smoothly.
Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)