We’re asking for your help in opening the West Park Food Hall in Providence. The West Park Food Hall will be made up of multiple small restaurants, community seating, an expansive bar, and a rooftop deck, along with a ground floor industrial area housing a brewery, roastery and other food & beverage production. The building is at 233 West Park Street in the Smith Hill neighborhood, right at the end of the Valley corridor, and not to worry, there is a large parking lot attached.
Enter the Food Hall: the cooler, older cousin of the Food Court. What is a Food Hall? We anticipate a mix of familiar faces serving up some Rhode Island favorites with some newcomers to our food community! Having a hard time deciding on a restaurant that suits everyone’s tastes and budgets? The West Park Food Hall will be a place to meet, greet and eat. It’ll be a place to enjoy great food with your pals and your family. It’ll be a place where you can feel good about what you’re eating, knowing that you’re supporting local farms & producers, and helping local businesses thrive right here in Rhode Island.
We’re proud to be working with Providence based Union Studio for design and architecture and plan to engage as many Rhode Island-based companies as possible to bring this project to life.
Special thanks to our awesome industry friends for their generosity with our rewards. They have helped us put together an incredible list of one-of-a-kind packages that can only be experienced through this Kickstarter. We’ve tried to curate rewards for every price point. As many of these are group packages, please consider teaming up with a group of friends to go in on one of these together. We hope you’ll take a few minutes to scroll through the page and support us in any way you can.
If you are interested in multiple unique rewards, please choose "Make a pledge without a reward" enter your dollar amount and send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make special arrangements.
The West Park Food Hall will be an experience of sights and sounds; a destination beyond your typical grab-and-go. Thank you for supporting our work and we hope to see you at the West Park Food Hall!
Check out some of our favorite food halls from around the country below:
Our company, Eat Drink RI, was started in 2010 by David Dadekian and has focused on many things over the past 7 years. Katie Kleyla joined the team in 2015 and with lots of brainstorming and support from friends and family, Eat Drink RI has transformed into one of the top media, marketing and event production companies in the region for all things culinary.
In addition to our annual 4-day Eat Drink RI Festival, we produce a variety of dinner series, offer the widest free events calendar and job listings, cover local news about chefs, restaurants, and products, and support a variety of non-profit organizations that support the local food sector. Thanks so much to everyone who has supported us so far in so many amazing ways.
As some of you may know, in 2014, David was awarded a Rhode Island Foundation Innovation Fellowship to create a central culinary market, highlighting the amazing local agriculture, aquaculture and food & drink businesses that we have in our state. DON’T WORRY—we’re still working on that at the site formerly known as “Shooters” on the waterfront for a larger project with shopping, a private event space, waterfront dining, and more. But now we are ready to dive into this Food Hall project.
Over the past few years, we’ve been traveling and seeing what the rest of the country has been up to within their local culinary scenes, and it made us realize what we’re missing out on. While we may not be ready to open the full-fledged Central Market, there are still things we can do to support our local food economy and make Providence even more awesome, and we believe that the West Park Food Hall will do just that. Thanks so much, in advance, for anything you can do to help us make that a reality.
How will we use your Kickstarter funds? This first round of funding will be used for:
- Refine pro forma
- Architectural design
- Site improvement specific to the Food Hall and production floor
- Branding, logo design
- Legal: lease structure, permits and licensing
If we exceed our Kickstarter goal we have some stretch goals:
- Build out a food truck park in the Food Hall parking lot to open in spring 2018. Build out to include staffing, tent, community seating, and parking.
- Develop commercial kitchen on lower level of Food Hall building for internal or external use.
- R&D for a co-packing facility in the industrial space
- Yacht Club Soda: 10-for-6 Deal Purchase one 6-pack or more of any flavor Yacht Club Soda, the Official Soda of RI, at the Factory Store in North Providence and receive a free 4-pack. Limited
- Easy Entertaining: Free Coffee w/Pastry At The Café at Easy Entertaining, where they serve breakfast and lunch Monday - Friday from 8am-2pm, when you purchase a morning pastry you'll get one free small New Harvest Coffee. Limited
- Tilly's Cheesesteaks: Free Snacks At Tilly's Cheesesteaks, Rhode Island’s first and only Philly cheesesteak style sandwich joint, when you purchase one full cheesesteak receive your choice of chips & queso or brown sugar sopaipillas free! Dine in only.
- THANK YOU! Our love and your name on our list of supporters on the forthcoming West Park Food Hall web site.
- The Burgundian: Free 2nd Waffle With The Burgundian, Rhode Island's first Liege Waffle company, when you purchase one waffle at any of their pop-up events you'll get a second one of equal or lesser value for free!
- Sin: 2 Plated Desserts for Price of 1 If you haven't enjoyed an evening dessert and cocktail at Sin's beautiful new location on Providence's West End this is the perfect reward. Purchase one plated dessert and get a second of equal or lesser value free. Limited
- Stock Culinary Goods : RI Cookie Cutter & Bottle Opener Only found at Stock Culinary Goods in Providence, a one-of-a-kind Rhode Island shaped cookie cutter and a customized Stock speed bottle opener.
- Eat Drink RI: Corkscrew Truetap™ Black Double Hinged Corkscrew with 5-turn worm and serrated foil cutter, imprinted with Eat Drink RI.
- Eat Drink RI: Oven Mitt Blue and white two-tone cotton oven mitt with a heavy-duty magnet sewn into the sleeve, imprinted with the Eat Drink RI logo in white.
- Olneyville New York System: A Gift! Olneyville New York System, the James Beard "America's Classics" award winning restaurant wants to serve you some of Rhode Island's own hot wieners and coffee milk on them. Get $25 to use at either location. Limited
- Statesman Tavern: Blackbird Farm Picnic One ticket to Eat Drink RI's Summer Picnic at Blackbird Farm with Chef Chris Kleyla of Statesman Tavern in Bristol. BYOB. Date will be announced. Limited
- Narragansett Beer: Hi - Neighbor! Get a swag bag full of t-shirts, pint glasses, coasters and stickers from the Rhode Island beer made on honor, sold on merit. Limited
- "Food will help RI grow®" T-Shirt Limited edition t-shirt with "Food will help RI grow®" on the front and the Eat Drink RI logo on the back, both in white, with a choice of colors and sizes.
- The Dorrance: Private Cocktail Class One ticket to a private cocktail class on the mezzanine at The Dorrance with one of our favorite bartenders--and professional stand-up comedian--Vito Lantz. Includes spirit tasting, cocktail making and bar snacks. To be held on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 7 p.m. 21 years or older. Limited
- Moonrose Farm: Beekeeping with Jordan Learn about the inner workings of an active beehive as Moonrose Farm farmer & beekeeper Jordan Goldsmith leads you on a one-on-one educational experience. You will learn about the lifecycle of honeybees, how honey is made and stored, and how the work is divided in the colony. Protective gear will be provided and the tour will last about 1 hour. At the end, take home a basket of vegetables from the farm! Weather dependent, date to be determined, July - September. Limited
- Easy Entertaining: Class & Dinner I One ticket to a private cooking class showcasing spring's bounty, followed by a family-style dinner with an optional wine pairing at The Café at Easy Entertaining in Providence. Open for breakfast and lunch, the evening dining events at Easy Entertaining are always packed with people hungering for more of the best seasonal, local cuisine. Class will be held on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 from 6-9 p.m. Limited
- Easy Entertaining: Class & Dinner II Fans of Easy Entertaining know that their monthly Monday Burger Nights are one of their most popular events. Get one ticket to a private cooking class focusing on making burgers. Choose your own toppings and grill with the masters for a family-style dinner with an optional wine pairing at The Café at Easy Entertaining in Providence. Class will be held on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 from 6-9 p.m. Limited
- Narragansett Creamery: VIP Tour & More VIP tour of the Narragansett Creamery factory on Friday, January 12, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. The tour will take place during live cheesemaking followed by a private tasting and you'll receive a goodie bag to take home. Limited
- Ocean State Sandwich Company: Lunch! Lunch for ten from the Ocean State Sandwich Company in Providence. Lunch includes a sandwich from their menu, chips, beverage and a cookie per person, delivered to your office or home. Limited
- Statesman Tavern: Two for Blackbird Farm Picnic Two tickets to Eat Drink RI's Summer Picnic at Blackbird Farm with Chef Chris Kleyla of Statesman Tavern in Bristol. BYOB. Date will be announced. Limited
- Federal Hill Pizza: Cooking Class A pair of tickets to a cooking class with award-winning Master Pizzaiolo Billy Manzo. The classes are 2 hours each and include a family-style meal with optional one glass of wine or beer. Choose from the class schedule found online. Limited
- Food Hall VIP Private Party Invite One pair of tickets to the private VIP party at the new West Park Food Hall. Be one of the first to see the finished project, enjoy live music and sample food & drink from the Hall's restaurants. Date to be determined. Limited
- New Harvest Coffee: From Seed to Cup Start with a tour of the New Harvest roasting facility in Pawtucket. Move on to the Training Lab, where you actually roast coffee with a sample roaster. Learn about how coffee is grown, picked and processed at origin and how all those variables manifest themselves in the cup. Finally participate in a private cupping (tasting) of coffees that represent different growing regions and processing methods (and take home a bag of your favorite!). For up to three people, date to be determined. Limited
- Rebelle Artisan Bagels: Breakfast Club Membership in the Rebelle Artisan Bagels Breakfast Club, where you'll get a card for a free small hot coffee every day for a year! Limited
- RI Food Fights: Year-Long Passport! All of the 2018 RI Food Fights Passports for your dining and drinking pleasure. You'll receive: January's Lord of the WINGS (chicken wings), February's Best DONUTS RI LoveFest, March's Italian GRINDER Throwdown, May's Big BURGER Blowout, August's ICED COFFEE Summer Celebration, October's TACO Mania and November's Lord of the PIES (pizza) (passports subject to change) Limited
- Figidini: Cooking Class & Treats A pair of tickets for a pizza making class at Figidini with co-owner and world-class pizzaiolo Frank Cecchinelli. Class includes dinner, drinks and dessert along with a bag of Caputo 00 flour, a can of imported DOP San Marzano tomatoes, and some Mozzarella di Bufala to take home. Limited
- Food Hall Wall of Supporters Your name or company name permanently displayed on a wall inside the new West Park Food Hall saying thank you for helping us get it off the ground.
- Yacht Club Soda: Bottling with John! You and friend get to spend the day producing & bottling the Official Soda of RI with Yacht Club Soda owner John Sgambato. Date to be determined, 18 years or older only. Limited
- Pastaio: Cooking Class Enjoy a cooking class for two at Pastaio in Providence with Chef Adam Baffoni, followed by eating your lesson with a bottle of wine. To be hosted on any Monday or Tuesday, date to be determined, 21 years or older. Limited
- Easy Entertaining: Brunch or Lunch Enjoy a private brunch or luncheon in the all-new private dining room at The Café at Easy Entertaining for you and 9 guests, liquor not included. Date to be determined, available after February 1 due to construction. The Café is open Mondays to Fridays from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Limited
- America's Test Kitchen: Backstage You and 3 of your friends will receive an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of America's Test Kitchen by Executive Food Editor, Dan Zuccarello. Tour 15,000 square feet of newly created, state-of-the-art kitchen space as well as multiple photography and video studios where all of their TV shows and photoshoots take place. Experience what it takes for test cooks, editors, and cookware specialists to fine-tune a recipe during development. Browse their private collection of cookbooks (over 4,000) and each one of you will walk away with one of their newly published cookbooks. America's Test Kitchen is located in the historic Innovation and Design Building at 21 Dry Dock, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02110. Parking for a fee is available in the parking lot adjacent to the Innovation and Design Building. Limited
- Eat Drink RI: Festival Truck Stop A pair of complimentary tickets to the Truck Stop to benefit the Rhode Island Community Food Bank held in Providence with over twenty trucks, soda, beer, wine, a band and more! The Truck Stop is held next on April 27, 2018. It's ALWAYS a sold-out event! Limited
- The Burgundian: Double Decker Bus Tour The Burgundian, Rhode Island's first Liege Waffle company, is buying a fully-outfitted double decker bus and wants to take you and a friend for a tour of Providence sitting on the top deck! Tour includes waffles and coffee of course. Tours will be for up to twenty people, so get nine friends to grab this reward and create your own private double decker bus party! Date to be determined. Limited
- Olneyville New York System: Two All the Way! You and a friend get a behind-the-counter look at the one and only Olneyville New York System, the James Beard "America's Classics" award winning restaurant that serves Rhode Island's own hot wieners and coffee milk. Spend time with Greg Stevens, part of the original family of owners of the 71 year-old restaurant, and watch the action as it still takes place seven-days-a-week. Date to be determined. Limited
- Gilded Tomato Company: Pizza Party You and three of your friends will create and dine on your own pizzas with the wood-fired cooking artisans at the Gilded Tomato Company farm in Rehoboth, Massachusetts. Date to be determined. Limited
- Revival Brewing Company: Brew with Sean! You and a friend get to spend the day brewing and tasting beer with multiple award-winning Revival Brewing Company brewmaster Sean Larkin. This is a unique treat for the passionate beer lover. Date to be determined, 21 years or older only. Limited
- Sons of Liberty: Tour & Barrel Tasting Get a personal tour of the Sons of Liberty Beer & Spirits Co. distillery and brewery with a private barrel tasting of unreleased whiskeys, for 8 people. Date to be determined, 21 years or older. Limited
- Jonathan Edwards Winery: Tour & Blending A private tour and tasting for two at Jonathan Edwards Winery with the unique opportunity to blend your own wine and take home a case of that personal wine blend. Bring your own picnic lunch and enjoy the grounds of this picturesque winery in North Stonington, Connecticut. Date to be determined, 21 years or older. Limited
- Gastros: In-Home Cured Meat Tasting The charcuterie and sausage-making talent behind Gastros will come to your home and share their knowledge and their cured meats with you and nine of your friends. This fantastic meat tasting will be paired with wines. Date to be determined. Limited
- In-Home Personal Bartender Celebrate any occasion with custom cocktails in your home by your own personal bartender, Kayleigh Speck. Ms. Speck will prepare cocktails for a party of up to 25 people for two hours, 21 years or older, date to be determined. Limited
- Newport Vineyards: Chef's Tasting Menu Enjoy an off-the-menu, exclusively offered, 4-course Chef’s Tasting Menu paired with wine for six people presented by Executive Chef Andy Teixeira at Brix Restaurant at Newport Vineyards. Reservations are required by calling 401-848-5161 x2. Date and time subject to availability determined by Newport Vineyards, 21 years or older. Limited
- Eat Drink RI Festival: Dinner by Dames A pair of complimentary tickets to the always sold out Dinner by Dames experience held in Providence during each Eat Drink RI Festival. One of Rhode Island’s most popular dining series, Dinner by Dames is a female-driven dining experience that brings together five of Rhode Island’s most talented chefs, Melissa Denmark of Gracie’s and Ellie’s Bakery, Jordan Goldsmith of Moonrose Farm, Maria Meza of El Rancho Grande, Ashley Vanasse of Easy Entertaining Inc. and Jessica Wood of Fire and Water Restaurant Group, for a multi-course dining event. Dinner by Dames is held next on April 26, 2018. 21 years or older. Limited
- Blackbird Farm: Whole Pig in Cuts Yes, a whole Blackbird Farm 100% American Heritage Berkshire pig cut pork package! Package available to pick up at the farm in (frozen) cuts You'll get approximately 150-175 lbs. of pork cut up into: - chops - two racks of ribs - country style ribs - shoulder/Boston butt - bacon, both belly and jowl (cured at Westerly Packing) - hams (smoked at Westerly Packing) - sausage (produced at Westerly Packing). Limited
- The Wine Bros. & Narragansett Creamery Enjoy an in-home tasting for 12 people of up to eight wines presented by The Wine Bros. owner Steve Wynn, one of the most knowledgable and hilarious purveyors of wine in the country. Cheese platters will be provided by Rhode Island's own award-winning cheesemaker Narragansett Creamery. 21 years or older. Limited
- Simone's: In-Home Brunch for 8 Anyone who knows Chef Joe Simone, owner of his namesake restaurant in Warren, knows they're in a for a delicious meal along with a world of fun when with him. Now you can have Joe in your home to make you and seven of your friends a world-class brunch. Date to be determined. Limited
- RI Chefs Signed Chezpron Everyone who puts it on loves the Chezpron, a truly comfortable and functional cook's apron designed and manufactured here in RI by Chef the Gennusos of Chez Pascal. This reward is the ONLY way you can get a one-of-a kind Chefs Collaborative limited edition design, that will be signed by a bevy of Rhode Island chefs. Wear it with pride or hang it on your wall as art! Limited
- Food Hall: Table Sponsorship Your name or your logo engraved on a table in the West Park Food Hall communal seating area for all to see for years to come! Limited
- GottaQ Smokehouse BBQ: Barbecue for 50 A private barbecue at the location of your choice for you and 49 of your friends by the award-winning pitmasters at GottaQ Smokehouse BBQ. Does not include alcohol, menu based upon GottaQ’s offerings, date to be determined. Limited
- El Rancho Grande: In-Home Experience Enjoy a multi-course dinner in your home for you and 7 of your friends by two of RI's best, Chef Maria Meza and Joaquin Meza, co-owners of El Rancho Grande. Maria will prepare her always delicious food and Joaquin will provide a Mezcal pairing. Date to be determined, 21 years or older. Limited
- GottaQ Smokehouse BBQ: Barbecue for 100 A private barbecue at the location of your choice for you and 99 of your friends by the award-winning pitmasters at GottaQ Smokehouse BBQ. Does not include alcohol, menu based upon GottaQ’s offerings, date to be determined. Limited
- birch & Oberlin: In-Home Dinner for 8 Enjoy a multi-course dinner for eight prepared in your home by RI's only James Beard Best Chef: Northeast nominee, Chef Benjamin Sukle, co-owner of birch and Oberlin in Providence. Sukle and his restaurants have received numerous accolades over the years, including Bon Appetit naming both restaurants a Best New Restaurant in the Country the years they were opened and most recently a full New York Times review naming Oberlin as a NYT Critic’s Pick. Dinner will be paired with adult beverages, date to be determined. 21 years or older. Limited
Risks and challenges
This is a private property with an extensive list of allowed permitted zoning uses, and we have extensive experience with city and state licensing & regulation. However, as with any project in our fair state, who knows what challenges Providence, Rhode Island could throw at us.
The building appears in good condition and was recently inspected, but with any construction project, especially one involving an almost 100 year-old building, unforeseen infrastructure problems could crop up.
While the neighborhood is surrounded by many large businesses and the residential community of Smith Hill, it is a newer environment for dining and will require time to attract guests.
The owner of the property reached out to us to use this space for a food business venture, there is always the possibility that he may decide to use the space for something else, although we don’t anticipate this.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter