Extended Goals! Help take Crystal Catacombs to the Next Level!!
- Base Goal: Thanks to YOU, we've reached our goal! This will most definitely insure that Crystal Catacombs will become a reality! The support shown for Catacombs has been phenomenal and the best part is, we still have weeks to take it even further. So, I invite you to take part in the second stage of the Kickstarter fundraising... The extended goals.
- Map Editor: DONE! We will now do everything in our humble power to include with the final version of the game, a customizable map editor! Choose your Crystal Realm template and then customize it with room layouts and enemies galore! *If possible, we'd love to also incorporate some way for you to share your levels with friends.
Crystal Realm Design
Contest: Do you have an idea
for a really cool Crystal Realm that you'd like to see included into the game?
Well, guess what? Starting right now, I'm excited to announce that we'll
be accepting entries for a backer inspired Crystal Realm design contest!
Check out the Crystal Realm Design Contest FAQ for all the details!
- Co-op Multiplayer: Here's where the deal gets oh so sweet. If we reach this goal, we'll especially do everything within our most humbling of powers to give the gamers of the world the joy of being able to play Crystal Catacombs with friends! Imagine exploring a Crystal Realm with fellow comrades by your side! This feature would easily expand the potential of Crystal Catacombs to an entirely new level. It would also require a lot of energy but we would do our darndest to make this feature available to as many players as possible!
Even though Levels or Lives currently consists of a small team, with your support, we could potentially acquire the necessary help and talent to make Crystal Catacombs into something truly special!
- Developer: Levels or Lives is Maxwell Jensen (Design/Art), Dustin Boyd (Project Management) and MaskedEpsilon (Music/SFX)
- Platform: Initially PC, Mac and Linux (if possible, ports to XBLA, iOS and Android would be great)
- Genre: 2D > Action RPG > Roguelike > Platformer
- Completion: Roughly 40%
Crystal Catacombs is an exploration based action platformer that incorporates challenging roguelike mechanics combined within a multitude of unique and unpredictable procedurally generated (random) dungeons.
The game includes dozens of different items, weapons, spells, enemies and bosses. It will also feature a customizable inventory and a stat based character upgrade system.
"The gameplay mechanics and visual style of Crystal Catacombs are both greatly inspired by classic games such as Super Metroid and Castlevania. I've made a strong point to try and retain the same vintage appeal while also incorporating my own artistic/game design spin into the development of the game to help make it as fun and exciting as possible."
- Procedurally generated dungeons with randomly chosen room layouts, enemies, special items, treasures and even bosses. No two experiences will ever be the same.
- Seven different Crystal Realms (levels) to explore. Each with their own unique enemies, traps, hazards, treasures and bosses.
- Encounter and fight over 20 different bosses and dozens of varying enemies.
- Discover over 20 Magical Artifacts that can be equipped and used to grant new abilities, such as a the Double Jump Boot, Dragon Armor, Crystal Skull and Grapple Spikes.
- Collect and choose from several different weapon classes including swords, whips, axes and bows. Each class also has different variations of each weapon type.
- Unleash an assortment of powerful magic spells ranging from fireballs to summoning powerful creatures to help aid you in battle.
- Gain experience points to level up and ultimately become a force of glorified and unadulterated power!
The Story of Captain Vasil Ravencraft:
after days of traveling across the open waters of Celestica I've almost reached my destination. In the center of the Dark Ocean lies a lone island. Upon its shores sits The Crystal Catacombs. A fabled fortress said to contain portals to different worlds. Alternate realms filled with a wealth of treasure, vast secrets... and great danger. Yet, no man has ever returned to tell the tale of what truly lies inside the Catacombs.
As I write this, my fate is uncertain - but as I make my way into the dark abyss, my sense of adventure burns inside me like a great, illuminating flame... And so, I go forth."
-Captain Vasil Ravencraft
Captain Vasil Ravencraft and his Amazing Mechanical Airship. When not exploring the Catacombs, Vasil can return to the surface and enter his airship. Inside, Vasil can restore all HP/MP, save the games progress and use the Captains Chamber to store items for future use.
Each dungeon theme inside the Catacombs will be procedurally generated based on specific properties. Depending on the theme, each varies by size, shape, difficulty (hazards and) enemy types (including bosses), potential artifacts and treasure amounts.
Crystal Catacombs consists of seven different Crystal Realms (level themes). These Realms are unique in appearance and difficulty. Each Crystal Realm is designated to a specific floor within the Catacombs. When a Realm is completed the next floor will be accessible to the player, revealing a new Crystal Realm.
"An ancient castle ruled by an army of the undead, ghouls and ghosts."
"A lush tropical environment inhabited by exotic enemies and dangerous traps."
"A smoldering world filled with maniacal demons and rivers of lava."
"Deep below the surface, these caverns house untold terrors… Few men have made it this far."
"A bone chilling world consisting of only the most resilient and ferocious beasts."
"A strange metal fortress filled with machines that seem to come from another world..."
...and even deeper inside of the Crystal Catacombs lies the infinite madness of the 'Necron'. Only by defeating all Crystal Realms can you discover the true secret of the Crystal Catacombs...
Several different item categories consisting of dozens of individual items can be found throughout the depths of the Catacombs. Items range from tools that aid Vasil in exploration to magical artifacts that grant powerful new abilities.
Below are just a few of the different item types.
Healing Items: Healing items include potions and cures for specific stat ailments. It's always a good idea to have a few of these in your inventory.
Equipment Items: Equipment items include tools used to assist Vasil in reaching new areas and general exploration.
- Grappling Hook: Extends vertically until it makes contact with a surface, can be climbed.
- Jetpack: Can be used to maneuver through the air - but be careful, fuel is limited!
- iTab: Using the iTab will transport you to a random location inside the level... This can be good or bad (but always interesting).
Special Items: Special items vary from temporary stat changers to granting Vasil the ability to perform otherwise, impossible feats.
- Eye of Xye: Used to reveal an undiscovered area of the level.
- Spirit Guide: Can be used to remotely control a small Spirit Guide to temporarily explore a level. Helpful when you're not sure which way to proceed.
- Portal: Can be used at any time to exit a level and return to the surface. Lifesavers when you find yourself in a dire situation.
Artifacts: Artifacts are a unique item type in that they can be bound to Vasil to grant new abilities or stat changes. Over 20 Artifacts can be found and equipped throughout the span of the Catacombs.
- Crystal Skull: Enemies will drop twice the amount of crystal shards.
- Dragon Boot: Grants the power to dash with great speed.
- Grapple Spikes: Allows Vasil to kick-flip off of surfaces. Invaluable for exploring those hard to reach areas.
- Charge Stone: Vasil's equipped weapon can be charged to release a powerful attack. Just remember, this will also consume MP!
- Leap Feather: By ducking momentarily and then jumping, Vasil will quickly shoot far up the air. Even large chasms can be easily maneuvered through by equipping this artifact.
Weapons and Spells:
Weapons: Amongst the various weapon categories are many different sub-types, some even with special qualities (i.e. fire sword, ice whip, blood axe etc…). Each weapon also has a certain percentage chance of inflicting a critical hit.
- Swords - Well rounded weapons with average damage, range and speed stats.
- Axes - Powerful weapons with high damage but small range and low speed stats.
- Whips - With the ability to extend further than swords and axes, the whip grants Vasil good range with medium damage but suffers from lower speed.
- Bows - Excellent range, medium speed and low damage. To use a bow, Vasil must have arrows present in the inventory.
- Spells: Crystal Catacombs includes many different types of spells Vasil can learn to cast, ranging from fireballs, life absorbing lightning bolts, rapid fire plasma shots and even the ability to unleash powerful elemental attacks. MP is a limited commodity within the Catacombs so be sure to use magic wisely.
Vasil conjures the 'Blizzard' spell against the titanic Jelly Snail.
Since the development of Crystal Catacombs began a little over a year ago, the project has received some very supportive responses, feedback and attention. The fact that so many people have reached out and shown their support means a lot to us. It has proven that this is a project worth pursuing. Below are a few of the websites that have helped show their support for Crystal Catacombs.
Kotaku - written by Chris Carolan
GameZebo - written by Jim Squires
IndieGames.com - written by Tim W.
Socialtimes - written by Reid McCarter
Thrillest - written by Lee Breslouer
Thumb-culture - interview with Maxwell, conducted by Pazbi Zavatzki
Your contributions to Crystal Catacombs will go towards hiring a team of talented individuals to help take the game to the next level of development. This would include programmers, assisting artists, our musician and the cost of the rewards.
If you've decided to support us, we give you our deepest gratitude. Thank you!
I'll also be posting daily updates concerning all kinds of fun aspects about the game. DAILY UPDATES!
Of course, don't forget to follow Crystal Catacombs on Facebook!
-Artwork by Travis Reynolds
- (30 days)