About this project
Title: Crystal Catacombs
Developer: Levels or Lives (Maxwell Jensen - Design/Art)
Platform: PC (possible ports to XBLA, PSN, iOS and Mac)
Genre: 2D > Action > Platformer
The Nature of the Beast:
Crystal Catacombs is an exploration based action platformer that incorporates challenging roguelike mechanics combined within a multitude of unique and unpredictable procedurally generated (random) dungeons.
The game includes dozens of different items, weapons, spells, enemies and bosses. It will also feature a customizable inventory and a stat based character upgrade system.
Fun and Unique (Funique!) Features:
- Randomly generated dungeons with randomly chosen enemies, special items, treasures and even bosses. No two experiences will ever be the same.
- Several different Crystal Realms (levels) to explore. Each with their own unique enemies, traps, hazards, treasures and bosses.
- Discover Magical Artifacts that can be equipped and used to grant new (and awesome) abilities.
- Collect and choose from different weapon classes including swords, whips, axes, bows and more!
- Unleash an assortment of powerful magic spells ranging from your standard fireball to summoning epic creatures to help aid you in battle.
- Gain experience points to level up and ultimately become a force of glorified and unadulterated awesome sauce!!
Space Aliens, Draculas and Other Influences:
The gameplay mechanics and visual style of Crystal Catacombs are both greatly inspired by classic games such as Super Metroid and Castlevania. I've made a strong point to try and retain the same vintage appeal while also incorporating my own artistic/game design spin into the development of the game to help make it as fun and exciting as possible.
The Story Thus Far:
I have been informed that you have traveled from a far off land in an attempt to save our world. You are indeed a brave soul to take on such a perilous mission. Many courageous warriors have attempted this dangerous feat before you but none have yet to return…
The world of Celestica is threatened by an evil force known as the Crystal Castle. The Crystal Castle is an ancient miscreation of unimaginable destructive power. Someone or something has resurrected and harnessed its evil in an attempt to destroy our very world.
Inside the walls of the Crystal Castle reside several chambers, each containing a magical portal to another realm. These realms are full of wicked monsters, traps and great danger… It is even foretold that bountiful treasures lay lost within.
The realm portals are powered by magical crystals that are housed deep inside each of the perilous dungeons. It is said that these power sources are guarded by great and terrible beasts. Hero, if you can destroy all of these crystals and defeat the fiend behind the resurrection, the Crystal Castle will lose hold of its power and be banished from our world once and for all.
Time is running out... If the Crystal Castle is not destroyed soon, it will have harnessed enough power to release its evil upon the land and all will be lost.
Chancellor Spritelington III
This game can be made possible by contributions from players like you.
By providing me with your generous donations you will be helping breath life into the very soul of this game (assuming games have souls, if they don't, then you'll just be helping me create it).
Your donations will go towards the likes of acquiring the following:
- One (possibly two) stellar programmer(s).
- Another artist to help out with the work load.
- A musician to create a rock 'n' original chiptune soundtrack.
- The printing and shipping of the NES inspired Crystal Catacombs instruction manuals (totally radical).
- A whizbang web dev to design a slick and professional Levels or Lives/Crystal Catacombs official website.
- ...Last but never least and arguably the most important factor in creating a independent game, your donations will be absolutely essential in providing the time necessary to develop this game in a productive and consistent manner. If I reach my funding goal, I can then officially go full-time with Crystal Catacombs. After that, I'll have everything I need to give you (and hopefully many others) the best game possible.
- If funding goes above and beyond expectations then my next step would be to begin preparing Crystal Catacombs for being ported to new platforms... Naturally.
Concept Artwork Examples (from manual):
Created by Travis Reynolds
Thanks for your interest! If the goal is reached, the next step I'll be taking is to assemble a stellar team. I'll be accepting all portfolios then.
Support this project
- (30 days)