In the summer of 2018, we boarded a cruise boat with two professional actors, two paid crew members, eleven volunteers, a script, and a cover story. We have the footage, though we need your assistance to finish our film.
the ask... We calculated that we'll need $16,000 to turn this dream into a reality. All $16,000 raised will go towards paying our post production team (minus the Kickstarter fees). We got Jerry slicing & dicing as our Editor, Earl mixing our sound & soundtrack, and Daria & the Hip Drops creating our score. This is all we need to complete our feature film.
$10,000 goes to Jerry, our editor and spiritual guide. We estimate it will take about 7 months for Jerry to slice and dice our film to completion.
$3,500 goes to Earl, our sound wizard and hair extraordinaire. Once Jerry locks the timeline, Earl will orchestrate the Sound Design, the soundtrack, and assist with the score. This will take about 5 weeks.
$1,500 goes to Daria & Graham of Daria & The Hip Drops. They'll create our film’s score with assistance from Earl.
Jen & Sean's guide to making a micro-budget feature film:
- brainstorm ideas and logistics
- logistics = where can we film cheaply, where it's easy to feed everybody?
- film at Golden Corral, Luby's, Chinese Buffet... What about a cruise boat?
- debate whether we need permission or not to film on a cruise ship
- can't afford legal counsel, so decide it's ok as long as we pay for our rooms and order lots of drinks.
- write a script about a modern day Brady Bunch, where two of our characters are getting married and starting a blended family... though with only one kid each
- 6 months later, gather a cast & crew that love the art of filmmaking
- create a cover story that matches our real story to explain our intense need to capture every exciting cruise ship moment
- put our plan into action on a six day cruise adventure
- we did it, and no one got arrested or seasick!
- ok, now that we have everything, how do we pay for our post-prodcution?
So here we are, at the next step of Jen & Sean's guide to making a micro-budget feature film,
the ask... We caculated that we'll need $16,000 to turn this dream into a reality. All $16,000 raised will go towards paying our post production team (minus the Kickstarter fees). We got Jerry slicing & dicing as our Editor, Earl mixing our sound & soundtrack, and Daria & the Hip Drops creating our score. This is all we need to complete our feature film.
This isn't our first time going the micro-low budget route to create a feature film. It takes time and many zany moments, though we've never failed to complete a feature film... we've even won a few awards along the way. Here, peruse this link to view our three feature films we've completed since 2010: click here to be transported to our three feature films completed as Backyard Shed Films!
$18,000 - if we hit this mark, you'll enable us to submit our film to at least 30 film festivals. The competition is fierce; yet, the more festivals we enter, the greater the chance of acceptance.
$27,000 - if we hit this mark, you'll enable us to hire an attorney to assist with any legal situations which may develop.
Please let us know you read this far by clicking on one of our fantastic reward levels, Thank you!
Risks and challenges
We've got the footage, so now it's all about post-production. Some might say that we're a creative, tenacious and somewhat talented team, as we've successfully completed three micro-low budget feature films. As long as everyone stays healthy, we're well equipped to push through any challenges that arise.
Please check out this link to see the three feature films our team members have completed as Backyard Shed Films (there's also several short films we completed in the 48 Hour Film Project competition): http://www.backyardshedfilms.com/Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)