"It's a great idea...the fact that it's a parody of the entire gaming genre, opens so many doors...every setting and game is a potential target...[even] different genres, like in 8th grade, my friend wanted to bring Glitterboy armor from Rifts into my D&D campaign..." - Sergio Monfort, play-tester.
Warning! These books will contain adult language, sexual content, "tasteless" humor and cartoon violence. The world's first "Hard R" roleplaying game. Rating given by the RPGAA.
Get the Beasties & Bygones Corebook:
And 4 full Adventures, a Quick-Start Adventure, and a Supplement (PDFs):
This game would NEVER be made by a traditional publisher and that's why we need your help!
Help us make Beasties & Bygones: Corebook and the Season One Adventure Bundle for both the Dungeon World and 3.5 OGL role-playing game rules systems (and potentially other systems) a reality. The books will include satirical takes on classes, magic items, adventures, races and monsters from classic fantasy worlds like D&D, Lord of the Rings, Norse mythology, Greek mythology and much more.
Growing up, when I would GM a game for my friends, the sessions would rapidly de-evolve into a barrel of raunchy laughs and taboo shenanigans. Soon, I embraced our play group style and started writing adventures that were more like raunchy cartoons. After all, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Our philosophy: It can't be wrong if it makes us laugh!
I moved to LA after film school and began film-making and animating. Along the way, I met many fellow gamers and artists. After exchanging hilarious gaming stories with Edward Shannon and Patrick Carpenter, we created the Game Knights half-animated series. We needed a prop, parody version of D&D for the characters to play, so Beasties & Bygones was born! We ended up filling this fantasy game world with so much satire, silliness and raunchy comedy that we realized B&B was too big for just a show, so we started creating the real B&B RPG using storytelling techniques I learned in film school.
We are making this ridiculous, possibly offensive parody of D&D because it's funny!
Please tell your friends (with a sense of humor) about this campaign.
*Afrodo the Archer Meeple is available as an addon to any pledge for $3 each!
We are very close to unlocking the next stretch goal!
If we reach 150+ backers, this Supplement will be added to the Season One Adventure Bundle.
To share click on "Share this Project" and then the ‘f’ button under the video at the top of the page. To like us on Facebook facebook.com/CriticalHitMedia And if you are excited about this game, rate or comment on RPGGeek.com
The Jester is an important figure in the world of Al'tearth!
Jesters are somehow linked to the evil wild magic called the Taint. They can invoke the Taint to cause randomness and impossible things to happen but they have no control over it. Some of their spells/jokes require people to laugh and most of them feature what we call a Targeted (AoE) Area of Effect.
Not long ago in a quaint town, a powerful Wizard's child came home and said a bad word. This strict puritan Wizard was so offended, he cast a "Protection from Words" spell on his own child, so if he ever spoke that bad word again it would be bleeped. The Wizard was pleased with himself until he noticed that his child was coming home every day, depressed and defeated. He was considered an outsider for not being able to curse while his friends could freely f-bomb each other. The angry Wizard decided, to protect his children from exposure to what he called "bad words", he had to cast the spell on the other children as well. He gathered the most powerful wizards and convinced them that to protect their offspring, they had to join forces. They did cast the "Protection from Words" spell and not just on all the children but the whole town. Now children could never hear damaging words again and the Wizards Communication Cabal was born.
Our adventurers stumble into town and are greeted by merchants selling wares, children playing in the streets and somber adult faces. They start noticing the townsfolk are using nonsensical words in place of curses. Eventually, they hear the bleeping as someone attempts to curse. The wizards flex their magic muscles, as more and more words are deemed indecent and thus bleeped out of existence. Soon they target the evil flesh that could tempt our children and a "Protection from Flesh" spell is cast. Everybody in the town, including the players have blurry ankles because the wizards decided they didn't want their children seeing a naked ankle. An underground resistance called the Coalition of Cussing (CoC) has been gathering. They've been meeting to curse at each other, define codes for "bad words" and to look at each other's ankles. ;) Will the Wizards accomplish their sanitized goal of having a town full of blurry people bleeping at each other?
Watch our half-animated comedy series, Game Knights!
Beasties & Bygones is an irreverent, upside down RPG that gives you permission to go too far. Satirical, edgy, social commentary with a comedic overtones. There will be no titillating nudity, but there will be mature themes explored for comedic lampooning. We created a parody game world called Al'tearth where your characters can attack taboo topics while exploring, socializing and misadventuring.
All books will be available in Dungeon World and 3.5 Open Game License. To learn about the Dungeon World Rules System click here: Dungeon World!
Now all we need is finishing funds and support in unlocking stretch goals so we can commission more artwork and writers!
Every episode/adventure is crafted around a subject and a thematic question. The players can be aware of the subject but they shouldn't know the exact thematic question. The subject for The Ivory Tower of Decency adventure is censorship, but the thematic question could be: Is freedom of expression worth the risk of Tainting your children?
Beasties & Bygones adventures are written in a loose 3 act structure.
Most fronts/encounters represent a different angle/bullet point that will either support the one point of view or support the opposite point of view through challenging dangers/encounters within a loose three act structure. B&B adventures are always designed as if the antagonist is the main character. The players decide how their characters change/grow through role-playing, spending XP, and bonding. Also, it gives the antagonist more depth.
If players get too distracted or stagnant the GM can play a Plot Twist. That will change the direction of the whole adventure and move the story along. The Plot Twists typically represent the opponent's actions off-screen!
Al'tearth's geography is almost an exact replica of Medieval Earth because it was created with a powerful clone spell by an earthborn wizard from middle ages named Gareth Guygaxian. Since it was created to protect the creatures of magic, it is a low-tech world. The clone spell drained Earth of it's magic, superstitions, "Mythical Creatures" and Ancient Gods.
Many Mythical Creatures call Al'tearth their home but most Beasties were tainted upon arrival:
- Some creatures were but a daydream on Earth & now exist in Al'tearth, like the Dingle Faeries; tainted faeries that serve the Excremental Gods.
- Some creatures were merged into one like the Chupasasquatch; The Chupacabra of Mexican lore merged with the Sasquatch or like Mime-pyres; who were Vampires that merged with Mimes.
Ancient Gods from all mythologies have been twisted into bizarre bygones of their former selves. They govern each other with a yearly award ceremony and grant each other positions in the Zodiac Council. Sampling of Bygones:
- Penetor, the God of Fertility was Priapus in Ancient Greece.
- Hermaphrodite wasn't always the androgynous lord of sexual ambiguity, s/he was once Aphrodite, Greek God of love, beauty, and sexual passion:only
- Satyrs are a debaucherous society that elects it's king every four years with a triathlon that includes competing in a drinking challenge, a talent show and public intimate performances. They must have intimacy every 7 days or they frenzy.
- Three-Quarterlings are halflings that grew a little taller then their halfling cousins and have formed a a society that is pretty close to Utopia. They come in all colors and the only judgement they make on each other is size. The taller they are the more status received.
- Half-Ettins are, essentially a race of co-joined twins. They are rather rare and their life involves heavy co-operation because each head controls half of he body. (Note this will be a cool role-play option as two players can play one half of a character. Wrestling for control of each action or cooperating and making two heads truly better than one.)
This Kickstarter funds the creation of the Beasties & Bygones Corebook and the Season One Adventure Bundle. The books will be 6x9 format with laminated color covers and black & white art on the inside.
The Beasties & Bygones Corebook comes with:
- The World - Parody races, classes, monsters, items, and spells.
- The Ivory Tower of Decency Quick-Start Adventure - A three act adventure about a town's fight against censorship and totalitarianism!
- Brew & Magic Herb - A chapter on how your characters can experiment with mind altering substances as well as performance enhancing herbs.
- The History of Al'tearth - An in-depth chapter detailing how this world was created and its connection to Earth.
- The Taint from the South - A chapter about the dark taint that is fouling up the lands and its affects on nature, civilization, and magic.
- Astrological Pantheon - A chapter about the Astrological Council of the Bygones. Explore a narcissistic society of Gods that vie for power and adoration.
- Medieval Madness - A chapter on creating characters with psychological disorders.
- Creating Satirical Adventures - A chapter of tools to help game masters create satirical theme-based adventures.
- Alignment Based Comedy tips for all types of players.
- And everything you need to role-play, er I mean raunch-play, in the world of Beasties & Bygones!
The Season One Adventure Bundle comes with:
- The Temple of Excremental Evil - A three-part adventure about, well, when excrement turns evil is already included in the Season One Adventure Bundle.
- The Porcelain Pantheon - A supplement about Excrementals, Excremental Magic, Excremental Wizards, and you guessed it, Excremental Gods is already included in the Season One Adventure Bundle.
- The Isolation of Clog - A three-part adventure about wannabe knights, a mountain town, and a mentally unstable dragon is already included in the Season One Adventure Bundle.
- Beer & Loathing in the Labyrinth - A three-part adventure that parodies the Minotaur's Labyrinth and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- The Seasonal Scourge of Sinterklaas - A three-part adventure about the the twisted clone of Santa Clause, Sinterklaas. He is coming to town and he eats children like Chris Kringle eats cookies... He dunks them in warm milk. Fight back the Scourge.
- The Court of the Saytr King - A three-part adventure about the the debaucherous society of the Satyrs. That elect their king every four years with a triathlon that includes a drinking challenge, a talent show and bawdy public performances. They must have intimacy every 7 days or they frenzy.
ALL PLEDGE LEVELS THAT INCLUDE A PRINT COPY WILL GET A CODE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO ORDER A POD COPY OF THE ADVENTURE BUNDLE ALONG WITH THE PDFs!
Every pledge that includes a print copy will get a free Afrodo the Archer Meeple!
In-depth interview with Threats from Gallifrey (I always do that with my eyes when I'm excited):
Gen Con 2014 - Interview with Bower's Game Corner about the Simple System Version (in development):
Javier was interviewed by the Core Cast podcast:
Javier was interviewed by the Geekline415 radio show:
Use a badge as your profile Pic:
Game Knights uses animation to represent the in-game characters and their adventures!
Game Knights is a half-animated show that explores the relationship of a group of gamers that can’t wait to escape their mundane lives and play Beasties & Bygones.
Watch Game Knights Episode 1 Part 1:
The actors on the show play two characters, the players gaming in real life and the characters they imagine they are in animated adventures.
Episode 1 part 2 is in post-production!
These are projected costs. Your pledge money will go to Beasties & Bygones products, not Game Knights Episode 1.
The Critical Hit Media crew
- Edward Shannon
- Javier Palenzuela
- Patrick Carpenter.
- Raymond Donahey
- John Barrera
- Rene Ferrer
- Jacqueline Harper!
- Fernando Palenzuela
- Eli Ziev - Website
- Oscar Finlayson
- Javier Palenzuela
For more samples of our work: visit criticalhitmedia.com
- This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
- Warning! These books will contains adult language, sexual concepts and cartoon violence.
Some cartoon elements provided by Cartoon Solutions via license. (c) Cartoon Solutions.
Dungeon World rulesystem is the work of Sage LaTorra and Adam Koebel. Dungeon World rulesystem is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.
Risks and challenges
When we set out to create Beasties & Bygones the roleplaying game over a year ago, we chose to produce the book for not one but two different RPG rule systems. That means two different sets of books/PDFs, albeit with a lot of content overlap, each with their own rules. For this print run of the physical books, we are going with a print-on-demand publisher who has a strong reputation to ensure that printing/shipping goes smoothly.
Our backers are very important - that's why we've researched and received guidance from several successful Kickstarters like Ron Newcomb (The Rangers), Andres Salazar (Pariah, MI), and others. Critical Hit Media is committed to bringing you entertainment with no boundaries. Why? Because It's Funny! And that has been the driving force behind our vision. We pledge, alongside your pledges, that we will be resolute in our attention to this project, and that we'll provide you with many great adventures to adventure upon!
Our goal is to deliver an irreverent, funny, high-quality product on time. We padded the delivery times a little bit because this is our first Kickstarter. The game world is bursting with loads of content, the book is being laid out in rough form, and some of the artwork for the book is complete. With two different versions of the book, however, there is the potential for possible delivery delays due to unforeseen circumstances. It is possible that we may need to adjust things with the printer to make sure the book looks amazing and accurate. We also want to make sure that you, the backers, get the exact rule system book(s) and other backer rewards you chose sent to your current address, so we will endeavor to be especially careful in our fulfillment process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (43 days)