Iron Tides is a rogue-lite genre mash of survival, exploration and tactical combat. You are cast in the role of a viking chieftain, charged with commanding a loot-hungry warband. Engage in a series of raids, venturing ever deeper into treacherous seas as you encounter long-forgotten ruins and mysterious tribes.
Combat in Iron Tides is quick, dynamic and oftentimes unforgiving. The tide of battle ebbs and flows with the fury of your vikings and the rush of enemy reinforcements. Positioning, timing, and a cunning use of limited resources are all key to your survival.
And survive you must. The sea is a ruthless place, full of great rewards but also dire consequences. You must take care to feed and maintain your crew, or else face your foe with a band of half-starved warriors. To make it out alive you'll often have to make some tough choices. You might have to toss the wounded overboard to save your food, hack apart precious artifacts to make space for necessities, or bribe your way through an encounter you're no longer strong enough to face.
- A World Without End: Explore a procedurally generated ocean full of danger and chance encounters. Discover hidden coves, long lost relics, and ominous temples as you venture ever further into the east. Choose your battles carefully and stay vigilant.
- Viking Colonies: Discover lost viking colonies, and enjoy a brief respite from the turmoil of the sea. Resupply your hold, recruit fresh warriors and sell whatever isn't worth carrying back home.
- Encounters Upon the High Seas: Explore dusty ruins, bribe corrupt enemy garrisons, and haggle with lost merchants. Build your own story through small narrative encounters. Will you rob a king's tomb and risk the wrath of the gods? Will you take the effort to plunder statues when your warriors only want food?
- A Place to Call Home: After a successful voyage return to your stronghold of Norhaven. Sing songs for the fallen, purchase newly available wares, recruit new warriors, and plan the next raiding season.
- No Two Vikings Exactly Alike: Each viking has four abilities. One of these is a fixed default attack, but the other three are drawn from a pool of seven abilities particular to their class. In addition, each warrior has a unique, procedurally generated upgrade path, allowing for a diverse range of possibilities.
- Dead Warriors Live Only In Memory: The halls of Valhalla sing with glory as each Viking meets their end. Unfortunately for you and your crew, your lost warriors will not come back and help on the next raid.
Demos and Early Press
Thanks to a community of streamers, we've partnered with The GameStormers to give you a quick sneak peak of our game demo:
For more first looks, take a peak at these fine streamers:
- Bumpy McSquigums (#1 Most Fun Streamer)
- Cliqist (#1 Crowdfunded Gaming)
- Need2Know Gaming (Awesomeness Distributor and Awesome Generalist)
Press, we are happy to partner with you and share your reviews, write-ups, or videos on our page. Click here for a link to our press page and email us for inquiries: email@example.com
Iron Tides is the experience of a Viking Chieftain (that's you!) who must wisely raise an able warband, lead your people on daring voyages, and triumph on the battlefield.
If you would like to join our Facebook Group and give us your feedback, go ahead and join our crew! If you do not have Facebook, feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Positioning is Critical: Line of sight, facing, and various AoE abilities are all key considerations on the battlefield.
- Incoming waves: In many battles you'll face multiple waves of reinforcements. The next enemy wave is always shown on the UI, allowing you to prepare for it. Alternatively, if you defeat all enemies currently on the battlefield, you'll be able to loot the place and leave before they get there.
- Unleash Your Fury on the battlefield! Tactical combat leverages an action-point system called “Fury”. Using Fury, warriors activate their abilities to try and gain the upper hand. Fury is renewed every turn, and can be swapped, or gained through combat. Some vikings have the ability to inspire Fury in those around them, making close positioning in a well thought out strategy key to your continued survival.
- Pick the Right Crew: Know what your warriors can do and how their abilities interact. If all else fails, diversity is usually a good bet, and will likely give you the tools to face any threat.
- Maintain Your Food Stores: Sailing takes a toll on your vikings' stamina, and on occasion they'll have to eat to recover. Lack of food, however, will quickly leave their stamina at a level that incurs hefty penalties in combat. With starved warriors, you'll find yourself in a precarious position. You might have to fight regardless in order to obtain any food at all, or else pay an extortionate price to a cutthroat merchant.
- Bigger Isn't Always Better: A large warband isn't always worth the expense. A small experienced crew may complete your objectives just as well, with less risk of running low on supplies.
- Keep your vikings alive. You have one, very important job to do.
Our alpha demo currently has four classes ready for battle, and we plan to release our game into Early Access with six in total. If we meet our stretch goals, we'll have the opportunity to work with you and create additional classes with new unique abilities and skills.
Amidst the rain and chaos of the Iron Tides dwell many strange peoples, most of them eager to spill the blood of vikings.
Each faction consists of 5-8 unique enemy types and one boss character class whose abilities can vary considerably.
These enemies are scattered about the seas, sharpening their weapons and waiting for battle. Help us reach our stretch goals so that we can include more enemy factions!
At the center of the ocean, Norhaven is a fishing town tucked away from the hardships of the storm and sea. Over the years, it has become a place of rest and trade, and is governed by a tribe of Viking people. The History of Norhaven is long, dating back to Bjorn Stormbringer, who first found this land and claimed it as his own.
What's in Norhaven?
Most of Norhaven has yet to be built, but you can be part of our creative process! At this moment, we are developing the following:
- The Market is crawling with vendors all too eager to share their wares. Trade your goods and earn Hacksilver to use for buying food and upgrades.
- Dock your boat and pick from a selection of vessels that are best suited for your journey. The Dock is where you will launch your raiding party and select your quests.
- The Warrior's Hall is a feasting hall where you can recruit new warriors to join you on your raiding journey. Each warrior has a price -- be prepared to pay up!
- Jauul the Iron Fist is an example of a statue designed by the Architects of Norhaven. This mysterious statue is a game feature that is designed by the community!
We have the opportunity to work with you and finish the Iron Tides! All of the money we raise will be used to make the game accessible, pretty to look at, and immersive to play. We want to deliver a quality game, and have pricing estimates for each area of development! Please help us make our dream come true.
This is your chance to help shape the game by spreading the word to strategically minded, and Viking enthusiastic friends! Every challenge we meet will be awarded through a point system that is tallied up and reported to you through our exclusive backer updates!
Crash Wave Games is a game studio founded by two indie devs based in Vancouver, Canada.
Sam Raski: Lead Developer, Artist and Designer. A veritable one-man army of productivity, Sam is the main driving force behind the creation of Iron Tides. He has been making games professionally for seven years, and as a hobby ever since he was twelve. He is inspired by strategy classics like Age of Empires and Civilization, as well as newer titles such as Darkest Dungeon and Hearthstone.
Carina Kom: Designer, Producer and Media Director. Carina has worked in the games industry for six years, mainly as a designer. She has a knack for spotting potential design issues, and is a wizard at finding the right people for any task. She's also our marketing and social media guru, making sure people stay tuned in to what we're working on. Her favorite games include Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Darkest Dungeon.
SPECIAL CONTRIBUTORS - These amazing people have not been able to work full time on Iron Tides, but have generously given us their time and specialized expertise as needed. We owe them a huge thank you and look forward to working with them in the future.
John Robert Matz: Composer.
John McKiever: Composer and Sound Designer.
Esther Chang: 2D Artist.
Morgan Schinkel: Programmer.
James Frizell: Designer, QA Lead, Video Editor.
Danielle Callahan: Video Editor.
John Velgus: Designer, Video Editor.
Ashley Scott: Marketing Consultant.
Erikka Griffiths-Keam: Voice Actor.
Erik Braa: Voice Actor.
After 12 months in development, Iron Tides has been encouraged through Greenlight, Casual Connect, and multiple game forums. We're using Kickstarter because we want to keep refining our game, and look forward to working with a community of gamers.
By reaching our goal, we have the chance to pay our partners and contributors what they are owed, and keep ourselves on the project as full-time developers.
If, in the happy event, we manage to surpass our goal, we’ll have the chance to pay ourselves a living wage and follow our passion. We also have a chance to produce more content for our community, and go the extra distance! Lastly, we'll increase our quality of life and start giving back to the Vancouver community who have so generously supported us throughout this journey.
We are pleased to share the paper prototype that started the Iron Tides! The prototype is the foundation of the Iron Tides and is really fun to play (not that we're biased or anything). This prototype is available in the Shield Warrior tier and comes with:
- An interchangeable battlefield aka the paper version of randomly-generated content.
- Four character cards with abilities and stats, plus paper cut-outs designed to stand up on their own.
- Four enemy cards also with abilities and stats, plus paper cut-outs designed to stand up on their own.
- One PDF-Rule book containing rules and funny jokes.
Risks and challenges
Game development is no easy feat -- there are many moving parts (art, code, design) that make the process highly challenging... and even more so with a team of two! Thankfully, we've already put our money where our mouths are and have self-funded the game to this point. We're prepared to continue development of our game, with or without funding, and while we may be delayed (pending stretch goals), we fully intend to deliver the Iron Tides to Steam in 2017.
We've included a handy-dandy questionnaire with further answers that will give you the confidence you need to trust in our ability to deliver the Iron Tides.
Q: How do you intend to deliver the game with only $19,000?
A: Your pledge is strictly used for paying the people we owe while we grab a loan from the bank to cover the additional or personal cost we incur. We have a lot of faith in this game, and we're ready to go the distance. Previous travel expenses for trades-shows have come from our pocket.
Q: How can I trust you to deliver where so many before you have failed?
A: We come from humble beginnings, and are professionals who are passionate and focused in game development. The Iron Tides has become part of who we are, and we've invested over 2,300 hours into development! With the release of Iron Tides, we hope to continue our dreams for as long as possible! Please help us see it through!
Q: Why I should trust you over the other campaigns on Kickstarter?
A: We've already been Greenlit for Steam and have had our game assessed by one of the largest collectives in the gaming industry. We also have a playable demo (which you can try), and have extensively tested our game system in board game stores and by ex-professional QA testers. By pledging your support to our cause, we are that much more closer to our goal.
Q: Are you sure about this?
Q: Why did you pick the Viking theme?
A: We really enjoy the culture and traditions of Vikings, and after watching an episode of Vikings on the History channel, we felt inspired! From the very beginning, we knew we had to turn this into a game. And really -- who doesn't like Vikings?!
- (34 days)