“CRAFT,” an intensive, two-week experimental choreographic lab led by Artistic Director Ali McKeon, premieres three choreographic works on a company of eight dancers. Performances take place Friday, September 13th at 7:30pm, and Saturday, September 14th at 7:30pm at the Zohar Theater in Palo Alto. Saturday’s evening Gala will be hosted by Chef Les Tomita of Da Kitchen Maui, recently featured on The Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
Mission: to cultivate a high-stakes, time-sensitive environment in order to produce works that are instinctive and raw; and at the same time cohesive, imaginative, grand.
CRAFT is my passion project. It is the most important project I take on every year and the one which I am the most excited about and dedicated to. I take on every role in order to make these shows happen - artistic director, executive director, choreographer, dancer, rehearsal coordinator and director, company manager, videographer, graphic designer, marketing and advertising director, and the list goes on.
Thanks to my Maui and California friends and family, my professional dance colleagues, and my students and their parents, I feel so much energy, momentum, enthusiasm and support for my dance and choreographic endeavors. This year, I am humbly asking you to help me raise $5,000 in order to put on this production, which in total, costs $20,000.
Continue scrolling to read more about what this project entails and why you should help to bring this project to the Bay Area community.
CRAFT 2019 Will Include
- John Barclay
- Sarah Bauer
- Vincent Chavez
- Ali McKeon
- Emily McKeon
- Tracy Shen
- Hallie Hunt
3 Choreographers and 3 Works
1 Chef and Gala
- Les Tomita, Founder and Owner of Da Kitchen Maui
1 Lighting Designer
- Keenan Molner
- Eric Raeber
- Rapt Productions
70+ Hours of Rehearsal
200 Audience Members
And most Importantly... YOU. This production is only possible because of your support, love, interest, and care. I hope you will consider making a donation of any size or coming to see our show in September.
What Does it Cost?
Your contribution will go towards:
- Theater and Studio Rental
- Lighting design
- Choreographer fees
- Dancer fees
- Travel Stipend
- Marketing and Media expenses
The cost of this production is $20,000. Even with substantial donations from Pacific Ballet Academy, Da Kitchen Maui, and private donors, the cost to put on a professional show with top notch choreographers and dancers from New York and the Bay Area is expensive!
The $5,000 I am raising from my community will help me to reach the $20,000 in expenses to put on this show.
The neuroscience of dance is a relatively new field -- but it is growing rapidly. Findings are revealing the ability for dance to engage and change the human brain, combat dementia and diseases such as Parkinson's disease, lead to greater interpersonal interaction and self-understanding, and lead to brain synchronization, which is essential for any empathetic community.
My experience as a dancer for 25 years and listening to audience members react to my choreography and dance performance reflects the positive impacts that current studies are codifying.
Ultimately, your contribution to this project will--
- positively impact the community building I am trying to promote in the greater Palo Alto/South Bay Area community
- foster greater connectedness, empathy, and cooperation amongst both dancers and audience members
- generate a broader awareness for the importance of dance psychologically, emotionally, and physically.
- stimulate and deepen the socio-cultural ecosystem in the South Bay Area
More tangibly, your contribution will allow for me to --
- explore and bring my dance research to life on 6 dancers to share with the Bay Area Community in a professional theater space, supported by visual and lighting designers
- employ 6 dancers to work in a collaborative environment that empowers individuality and celebrates their unique artistic voices
- employ a nationally esteemed choreographer Robert Moses, to share his work with the South Bay Area community
- inspire 50+ of my students who will attend the show and are working with me to discover their contemporary voices and modes of expression
- create work that is moving and important
Your donation is impactful and far reaching -- to me, my students, my collaborators and most importantly, my community. I thank you for your continued support in helping me to build the world around me through my greatest passion, dance.
Connect With Us
Artistic Director, Choreographer
Risks and challenges
CRAFT 2019 is a huge undertaking: An all new cast will come together to work with two choreographers -- all of whom have never worked together before. The cast has just 14 days, to shape these works as individuals and as a group to present at our two shows September 13 and 14. It's exciting, but it's also expensive. I have the faith that my community will rally around me to support my vision and help me to grow this project. Now is the time to prove me right! Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)