Four Legs, Wings, and Six Strings is an illustrated book and print portfolio featuring classic country singers and song writers reimagined as part of the animal kingdom.
This idea began with a linocut print I made back in 2014. It depicted Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson as a whale and a woolly mammoth in a nod to their famous 1978 record cover. Since then, the concept grew into a collection of eighteen illustrated album covers.
The Book contains all eighteen album covers paired with pen and ink drawings and many hidden references for all the die-hard country fans to find. The key images of the album covers originated from hand carved and printed linoleum and wood blocks. I scanned those prints, then colored them and organized the layout digitally.
- 32 page, full color, 9.5” square paperback
- First edition signed and numbered in an estimated run of 250
- Packaged in a hand crafted, screen printed 78 record jacket
- Edition numbers 1-25 available exclusively in the complete box set (details below)
The Prints are made on a Risograph machine. Although it looks like a copy machine, it uses ink and a stencil which prints colors in layers, one at a time, very similar to screen prints.
- Twelve different album covers from the book are available as art prints
- 12”x12” paper size, 11” x 11” image size
- Printed on Speedball’s signature Arnhem 1618 warm white 245 gsm paper
- Signed and numbered in an edition of 60
- Edition numbers 1-25 exclusively available in the complete box set
The Box Set comes packaged in a hand printed black vinyl box.
- One book from the first 25 in the edition
- All 12 risograph prints in a hand printed folio
- The Bandana- 100% cotton, hand printed by me
- The Picker Pack- 3 logo guitar picks and 3 stickers
Meet the Artist
I’m an illustrator and printmaker based in Brooklyn, NY. Given my musical preferences, you probably wouldn’t guess I’ve lived in New York my whole life. My first concert was a Jerry Jeff Walker and Guy Clark show in Tarrytown, NY. Unfortunately, I was too young to remember and ended up sleeping through the second half. My parents played all kinds of classic country and folk songs around the house when I was a kid, but I wandered down other musical paths during the awkward high school years. I found my way back the summer after my freshman year of college when I heard Tecumseh Valley by Townes Van Zandt on a skateboarding camping trip and felt intense nostalgia from this notable song of my childhood. From then on, I immersed myself in the history and fingerpicking of this great music. Four Legs, Wings, and Six Strings references some of my favorite singers and songwriters.
Additional Reward Photos
Risks and challenges
It’s 100% Happening... I’m treating this as a preorder and will have everything shipped by mid November. I’ve already received proofs of the book and the prints are currently in the process of being made.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)