BEAUTIFUL GAME: The Epic Romance of Brazilian Soccer
BEAUTIFUL GAME: The Epic Romance of Brazilian Soccer
The documentary about Brazilian soccer culture, a society with more style, more futebol stars and more soccer passion than any other.
The documentary about Brazilian soccer culture, a society with more style, more futebol stars and more soccer passion than any other. Read more
About this project
There is a windowless room in the Museo do Futebol in São Paulo, Brazil in which the walls, floor, and ceiling are painted black and the only light comes from a TV monitor showing a continuous loop––24 hours a day, 365 days a year––of the waning minutes of the historic, 1950 World Cup when Uruguay's last minute goal defeated Brazil.
BEAUTIFUL GAME: The Epic Romance of Brazilian Soccer is a documentary television series about Brazilian soccer culture intended for worldwide distribution during the months leading up to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. A series no soccer fan will want to miss, BEAUTIFUL GAME will explore all of the factors––the futebol stars, the passionate fans, the unique Brazilian style of play––which combine to make Brazil the most dramatic force in international soccer, winner of more FIFA World Cups than any other nation and the only team to have played in every World Cup. But we can't make it without you!
This Kickstarter campaign is to gather funding to produce the 5 to 7 minute trailer for BEAUTIFUL GAME which will be used to market, raise funds, and establish partners for the full-length documentary series. With your help can we travel to Brazil to shoot on location, gather exclusive never-before-seen archival footage, and edit and complete the trailer.
Over the past two years we have have assembled an international, all-star team whose combined expertise in successful sports and documentary production guarantees a work of top-notch quality. Together, we have won a total of 40 Emmy Awards which, combined with our shared love of soccer, mean this is one of the most promising sports documentary projects ever!
What sets BEAUTIFUL GAME apart is our commitment to capturing Brazilian passion for and deep worldwide appreciation of the quintessential Brazilian style of play known as joga bonito, the BEAUTIFUL GAME. Members of our team have already been on location in Brazil scouting locations, developing contacts with local production support elements and, most importantly, identifying the people whose stories will form the heart of this work. We are thrilled to have access not only to futebol stars past and present, but also to previously unseen, historic footage of the Brazilian National Team. Moreover, a huge part of our effort will be gaining access to the archives and artifacts that will help shape the story. Brazil exports more players to elite teams around the world than any other country, has won more World Cups than any other country, and is the only nation to have appeared in every World Cup. We will explore history and Brazil's place in the football pantheon to understand why.
Now, we need your pledge to bring our hard work to fruition. Because of our shared passion for creating the greatest soccer documentary ever, we are sacrificing our time and energies to get the BEAUTIFUL GAME trailer made at the lowest cost possible while keeping production standards high. Though we have fielded interest in the project from major U.S. and international media companies, we have chosen to work with Kickstarter and you to create a truly world-class documentary by 2014––just in time to meet the demand of a worldwide audience anticipating the first World Cup to be held in Brazil in 64 years.
Here are just a few of the personalities and stories we'll explore:
Neymar––20-year-old soccer prodigy widely thought to be the next all-time great Brazilian player
• Ronaldinho––FIFA World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005
• Lucas––teenage sensation picked for Brazil’s 2011 Copal America squad at the tender age of 17
• Pelé––widely regarded as the greatest soccer player of all-time
• Mário Zagalo––aka “The Professor”, the player turned coach
• Jairzinho––only player in history to score in every World Cup Finals game in which he played
• Zico––widely regarded as the best Brazilian player never to have won a World Cup
• Romário––Brazil's enfant terrible and greatest goal scorers ever
• Hulk––one of the fastest rising stars in soccer
• Mazinho––played on Brazil’s 1994 World Cup winning team
• Felipe Melo––midfielder widely blamed for Brazil's quarterfinal loss to Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup
• Marta––five-time FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year. Currently plays in Sweden for Tyreso FF
• Jean Chera––soccer child prodigy who, at 17 years old has yet to live up to his early promise.
• Raí––member of Brazil’s 1994 World Cup-winning team
• Ana Paula de Oliveira––Brazilian referee who sparked a huge controversy by appearing in Playboy pictorial in July 2007
• Túlio Maravilha––42-year-old soccer journeyman, attempting to score 1,000 career goals
• Pedro Soares––and crew Rio de Janeiro Freestyle Footballers
• Wilton Ancient Warriors successful over-40 soccer team that wears the Brazilian kit in recognition and enjoyment of joga bonito
It is not inexpensive to do quality film and television production. Here's a general inventory of the costs you will help us cover as we work to produce the BEAUTIFUL GAME trailer:
• AIRFARE and HOUSING––We can't do it unless we get to Brazil!
• SALARIES ––We're all professionals working for minimum or no rate in order to create the trailer we need at the lowest cost possible
• INSURANCE and LEGAL––Gear rental, shooting permits, and peace of mind
• FOOD––Need we say more?
• CAMERA and SUPPORT, LENSES, AUDIO––We will shoot the highest-quality video and record superior sound
• PRODUCTION VEHICLES––We've got to be mobile to get the shots that count
• EDITING––Not cheap, even at the reduced rate we get
• CONTINGENCY––The small expenses that add up and can make or break a shoot
Support this project
- (25 days)