About this project
Cake Duel is a fast-paced strategy card game for 2 players. As the commanders of cute (but starving) Sheepie battalions, players take turns bluffing Sheepie cards decked out in RPG gear in order to honorably relieve the other side of all its cakes. Cake Duel is designed to be a short, action-packed experience that can be enjoyed over and over again.
Card-counting, mindgames, and big plays. Cake Duel delivers all of these in a light-hearted setting.
- Easy To Learn. It only takes 5 minutes to learn the basic rules! You can watch the how-to-play video below and play along with our demo version, which requires only 2 people, a deck of playing cards, and some coins.
- Thoroughly Replayable. A big part of Cake Duel is crafting strategies to adapt to your opponents, which keeps the metagame flavorful after many, many playthroughs. Ever wanted to engage in an arms race of wits with your friends? Cake Duel is your arena.
- Fully Customizable. Each duel is played with a custom deck, and you can decide to put your favorite Sheepie into it. All Sheepie have unique abilities, and different army compositions result in wildly different games. Can you say fortune-telling assassin? Games are as explosive and as tame as you want them to be.
- Pocket-sized and Portable. Cake Duel doesn’t require a lot of space to play. It’s perfect for the concert line, the train, or any other place where you have to play the waiting game (why not play a cake-stealing game instead!). We provide a pouch that allows you to carry the entire game in your pocket.
- Newbie-Friendly. We understand that strategy games might be an intimidating genre to jump into. While we we’ve spent a lot of time building the game’s cognitive depth and ensuring a high skill ceiling, we’ve also worked hard to build a safe place where new players can explore. Even if you’re behind, it never feels as if you’re just playing out your demise; a simple challenge ends the round and you start with a clean slate.
We've been playing and incrementally improving the game for over a year now, making it as fun and polished as we can. It's gone through loads of design upgrades, balance changes, and playtests. We hope that we have crafted an experience that appeals to your competitive streak as much as it does to your sense of whimsy. Now, we're finally ready to get this game into as many of your game shelves as possible! Our funding goal will allow us to pay the initial cost of bringing Cake Duel to everyone.
Ben from The Board Game Vault made us a great review, which works pretty well as a how-to-play video. You can check it out here:
We made a short commentary segment on a single round of Cake Duel, to show you some of the fancy mental footwork behind the making of a single play.
- Set Collection: On your turn, you get to play Sheepie troops to steal cakes from your opponent. Play a single Sheepie troop, or save up multiple Sheepie of the same type for a bigger play!
- Bluffing: Of course, any Sheepie can be claimed as any other Sheepie. However, if you get caught lying, you'll lose the round.
- Card Counting: If you want to be good, you'll keep track of your opponent's claims — there are only 20 basic Sheepie cards in the deck. Deducing what's in your opponent's hands is key to calling their bluffs.
- Deck Discovery: When you think you've fully understood the game, there are 10 advanced Sheepie to keep the gameplay fresh. Discovering which advanced cards are hiding in the deck is a big information advantage over the opponent.
- Team Bluffing: With the deluxe package, you can play 2-on-2 Cake Duel. Bluffing as a team is a delicate dance of coordination that few master!
Each game set will be packed into a cute Sheepie box. Here are the contents!
As a Cakestarter exclusive, we will be making some super special promo cards, which will be included in each Mini and Deluxe package given to backers. Read on in the rewards section for details!
As thanks for your contribution, all backers will receive a PDF print and play version of Cake Duel. This will be available as soon as our campaign ends.
Cake Duel Mini Package- $20
This package will contain all the cards and pieces required to enjoy the standard 2-player game.
Cake Duel Deluxe Package - $40
All Cakestarter copies of Cake Duel Deluxe will ship with an exclusive custom playmat. Playing on one of these will make you feel like a true Sheepie commander!
Cakestarter Exclusive - Promo Cards!
Hand-Drawn Pet Sheepie! - $250
Get Your Pet Sheepie In the Game! - $1000
Risks and challenges
Cake Duel is our first physical game, and as such, we’ve prepared as thoroughly as possible before launching this campaign. The testing, art, and design are all done. We have already produced an early run of 50 copies of the game, which we’ve sold to fans at Anime Expo and Gen Con. We have the quotes lined up for the manufacturing of the game based on how many backers we get. We are fully ready to get this game into your pocket!
That being said, there are always risks with getting games manufactured and shipped. Our delivery dates are conservative estimates; we’ve built in several months of padding to ensure that we ship on time. For backers outside the United States, this is our first time dealing with international shipping logistics and we understand that there may be some unexpected delays.
As a pledge to our backers and in the interest of maintaining transparency, we PROMISE to keep you informed. After the campaign, there will be a minimum of 1 update per month updating you our status, or lack thereof. As repeat backers ourselves, we know just how frustrating it is to have project creators go silent for months on end while they deal with delays, and this is our pledge to you that we won’t be one of those guys!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)