About this project
Under the dark surface of the river, an inevitable romance unfolds. Two fish become tangled in their attraction. Will the power of love seasoned with pain set them free?With a fresh approach to sand-animation, Corrie Francis Parks tells this fluid tale of love and entanglement.
Exciting Update: We hit our minimum budget goal of $8,000 in less than a month! Now we've stretched our goal to $12,000 by November 7th. See below to find out how we'll use the extra money!
Why is this an important film? Are you going to win an Oscar?
There are a lot of animated shorts out there, but in the animation world, using sand as a material is not the norm. It's a tricky technique to master, and I am one of the few artists who have not only successfully used sand-animation in my storytelling, but actually pushed this medium in a new direction. I'm using an innovative blend of traditional technique and digital processing to create a vibrant and colorful film that looks different than anything out there. Match that with a deep and subtle story of love and pain and you get a film that will make a splash! I can't guarantee an Oscar, but I do know your support will contribute to the making of animation history!
What will you do with the extra money?
Our original goal of $8,000 was the bare minimum we needed for post-production. If we reach $12,000 before Nov. 7th, I'll have the great joy of expanding our budget in the following directions:
- Sounding Off: Sound is at least 50% of the cinema experience. Some would argue more! Getting a sweet surround sound mix involves a lot of people- composers, musician, sound designers, mixers, recording technician and foley artists. Support these artists with your pledge!
- Going Green: we want our marketing materials and backer rewards to be environmentally friendly, but green printing adds to the budget. Extra funding will help us keep our commitment to being green.
- Festival Frenzy: The average festival entry fee is around $35, and most filmmakers submit to at least 100 festivals! Once a film is in, there's shipping prints, marketing materials and travelling, which all add up. But getting a short film on a big screen near you is our goal, and the more we can put in our festival budget the better chance we have of getting "A Tangle Tale" on the next Oscar list!
- Production Deadlines: Why stop at $12K? If we double our goal, I will be able to take a month off from freelance work and focus entirely on getting the film done ahead of schedule. That means you get your rewards sooner and the party starts early!
These are all working artists and technicians that make the cinema experience and they deserve to earn a living. Consider yourself a patron of the arts by pledging your support!
This film is a labour of love for me, but there are several amazing artists involved in post-production that will be the beneficiaries of your generosity.
- Composer Mark Orton - you may be familiar with Mark's subtle arrangements and textural approach to music from his work with Tin Hat Trio. We're thrilled he will be creating an original score for the film. Get a taste of his style at markortonmusic.com.
- Sound designer Cole Pierce - download some of his music mixes They are sort of awesome.
- webdesigner Chelsea Kent - for some colorful inspiration from LA's best designer check out the Color Project
What kind of cool stuff can I get?
We have a lot of different rewards for our generous backers, and they are all unique to the film. DVDs, artwork from the film, limited edition sand paintings like the one below. Check out the list on the side and find something you would love to have as our token of thanks!
"Bell Shower" limited edition print for $75 pledge.
Sequence of 4 hand-drawn charcoal storyboard panels, mounted and framed. For backers at the $250 level.
Where can I see more sand animation?
Right here! You can watch the entire trailer below, and you can find other sand animation by me on my youtube channel.
Support this project
- (46 days)