About this project
San Jose has long been the hub of tech innovation. This same type of creativity has also fueled a different side of San Jose--the side that has moveable feasts, fashion shows, artists, tea bars, photographers, and speakeasies, to name a few.
As residents of San Jose, we started Content Magazine, a life & style magazine unlike any of its predecessors, to tell the stories of these inspiring individuals and businesses in San Jose. It's honest, visually appealing and highlights this creative side of San Jose.
It’s been great publishing online and using Print-on-Demand, but in a world of electronic-this and electronic-that, a physical magazine continues to elicit feelings that an e-reader simply can’t. Digital is great…but every time we show our pretty iPad friendly version to people, the response is always the same: "How can I get that in print?"
So, we're ready to take the next step: to print a magazine that doesn't compromise on the aesthetics.
We're grass roots. We’ve defined our vision. We're building our brand. But, we aren’t too proud to admit that the time has come to ask for a little help.
Why should you contribute?
- You love San Jose, and you want your city to have a magazine with a quality and style that actually represents the people of San Jose.
- You think "hyper-local" is a great thing. We like to say we are "for the people of San Jose and by the people of San Jose," so clearly, we do too.
- You love supporting emerging artists and celebrating local cultural creatives.
- You believe that behind every shop owner, designer, artist and engineer is a story that is waiting to be told.
- You like the idea of a localized magazine inspiring you to explore all that San Jose has to offer.
- You believe that a quality publication has the opportunity to positively influence the way people think of San Jose.
Where's the money going to go?We're raising money to:
- Print the launch issue of Content Magazine with the quality and aesthetic we've always imagined.
- Reduce the purchase price for our readers.
- Provide printed copies of Content Magazine to local businesses, potential sponsors and city influencers, demonstrating the potential of a quality magazine in San Jose.
- And, since you asked, while I'm sure our dedicated contributors have loved eating homemade pastries in exchange for their hard work, we'd love to pay our artists for their time and talent.
We hope you can see the passion we have for the city of San Jose and the people that inspire us. Thanks for supporting the vision of our magazine through your contribution.
"what's inside matters"
*One last little thing: if you are outside of the US, we'll need you to add $9 to your final amount to cover the cost of shipping. We wish it wasn't so, but those international stamps sure start to add up.
It's certainly not the cost of living! And while we do love the 300+ days of sunshine a year, what we love more is the innovation that has come out of our city...oh, you know, things like Apple, Adobe, Cisco, eBay, PayPal, and Tivo, to name a few...
It’s sort of like the chicken and the egg. We need to have printed copies to further our reach and woo potential sponsors. We can’t afford to print the copies without sponsors. Quite the conundrum.
Kickstarter supporters (like YOU!) believe in the people who have a vision, a calling, and a desire to see those ideas come to life. We hope you can see, that’s us.
To that we'd say, BAD printed magazines are a dying breed. Printed magazines continue to be the way that people want to engage with design-centered publications. We're not alone in this feeling--one of the largest magazine publishers agrees: http://powerofmagazines.com/get-the-facts.html
First off, we'd be thankful. Secondly, we'd be able to print more magazines which would further our reach even more than our minds could have imagined. More reach=lower price per issue + greater ability to pay our artists and contributors for their work.
Support this project
- (30 days)