This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
ConBody: The World's First PRISON STYLE VIRTUAL GYM
ConBody: The World's First PRISON STYLE VIRTUAL GYM
Help ConBody Go Global. ConBody is building a 'Virtual Gym' to bring Prison-Style Workouts, taught by Ex-Cons, to a worldwide audience.
Help ConBody Go Global. ConBody is building a 'Virtual Gym' to bring Prison-Style Workouts, taught by Ex-Cons, to a worldwide audience. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
ConBody has serious ambitions.
The More we Raise, The More we Build.
"It’s often reported that nearly 1 in 3 American adults, or about 30%, has a police record" (The Wall Street Journal) Yet, "ONLY 12.5% of employers say they would hire a formerly incarcerated individual" (Elite Daily) With 76% of inmates returning to prison (Coss Marte, TEDx Talk, Hong Kong), America has a serious problem with repeated mass incarceration.
ConBody is the creation of Founder & CEO, Coss Marte.
Born on the Lower East Side of Manhattan at a time when it wasn't safe to leave your windows open and drugs gangs ruled street corners, Coss began selling drugs at a young age. He was first arrested at 13. At 23, he was charged as a King Pin and sentenced to 7 years in prison.
As he started his 7 year sentence, prison doctors told Coss that he was so overweight he would die within five years. Determined not to die in prison, Coss started working out in his cell with the only thing he had available to him - his bodyweight. He lost 70 lbs in just 6 months. Coss went on to help 20 inmates lose over 1,000 lbs combined.
And the concept of the ConBody Prison Style Workout was born.
After his release, Coss turned his life around. He channelled all his entrepreneurial skills into turning ConBody into the brand it is today, a brand synonymous with healthier lifestyles and second chances.
For more information on The ConBody Prison Style Workout ... See what VICE had to say after taking one of the classes in NYC! The workouts are the brainchild of Coss Marte. They are a mixture of strength and cardio and, best of all, they can be done anywhere because they are all exercises that rely on bodyweight.
Want to get more technical, click HERE to read what Men's Fitness had to say about some of the best loved exercises in the ConBody Prison Style Workout. It's bodyweight baby - anybody can do it.
Still want more - Click HERE to see what happened when Buzzfeed sent some employees to workout with Coss and a group of inmates INSIDE a CA prison.
ConBody hires the best trainers to deliver the Prison Style Workout and they are all Ex-Cons. They know struggle. They have all overcome adversity and many of them have lost incredible amounts of weight themselves with the ConBody Workouts.
The ConBody trainers all #didthetime and now they invite you to join The ConBody Movement, and start working out with The ConBody Team because we believe everybody deserves a second chance.
Since starting out, ConBody has moved from the parks of New York City to a rented room in a school building to its own purpose-built studio on Broome Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan (the same street corner where Coss first started selling drugs).
As more and more New Yorkers are getting that ConBody experience, demand for the workouts started to grow.
This summer, ConBody was given the ultimate seal of legitimacy when Saks 5th Avenue, the world’s most prestigious department store, invited Coss & Co to open a studio and shop IN-STORE.
The ConBody Prison Style Workouts have already helped thousands of people lose weight and make positive lifestyle changes in NYC. More recently, with our video pilot project, we've reached thousands more in over 20 countries worldwide - all the while giving our growing team of Ex-Cons a second chance to lead a normal life.
Just as the legitimacy of the workouts, the team behind them and the brand behind it all have grown in NYC, so has the international press picked up on The ConBody Story. We've been featured on BBC Worldwide, in O Globo, on RTE and Start Up Podcast. We've been in the French, Spanish, Mexican, Australian, Chinese, Japanese and Argentinian press.
As worldwide demand for the ConBody Prison Style Workouts grows, it’s time for ConBody to go TRULY GLOBAL.
ConBody wants to build a “ConBody Virtual Gym” where Anyone can log-on and workout Anywhere, Anytime.
But "What exactly is a VIRTUAL GYM?" we hear you cry ...
It’s a place where people can come online to workout. A platform that recreates as much of the gym experience as possible.
The Virtual Gym will enable users to workout solo to pre-recorded videos in their sitting rooms, dorm rooms, hotel rooms, in the gym, on the beach or at the office.
These workouts were created in a 9 x 6 prison cell so space is not an issue. No gimmicks, no equipment - just you, your ConBody login and your A Game.
You will be able to take your ConBody routine with you wherever you go. So long as you have access to the internet you can workout online with ConBody.
A few months ago, we had a soft launch of online videos and spent considerable time analysing the various modes of video hosting and customer interaction.
For 6 months we assessed and monitored the trends in user activity from over 3,000 early adopters. We learned A LOT about how you like to workout and what technology will help us deliver for you.
WORKOUTS & VIDEOS:
1. We learned that most of you like shorter videos. 10 minute videos that you can mix-n-match to make up an optimum workout which changes daily. Variety, you tell us, is the spice of life!
So we want to produce a wide range of 10 minute videos from each of our trainers. Each video will concentrate on a specific area of the body or specific goal. For example, one day ConBody users can do a “10 minute cardio with Coss”, followed by a “10 minute arm strengthening with Sultan” and finish with a “10 minute total body stretch with Shane”, The next day, mixing and matching could enable users to do a “10 minute warmup with Derek”, a “10 minute abs workout with Chris” and a “10 minute leg strengthening with Ray”.
2. We also learned that some of you are hardcore (and we salute you). So we will have a selection of TOTAL BODY WORKOUTS from each trainer ranging from 30 – 45 mins. BEAST MODE.
3. We learned that lots of you are living increasingly busy lives so, we’ll have a variety of 15 minute videos both concentrated and TOTAL BODY WORKOUTS from all our trainers for those of you on the go. Zero excuses.
4. We learned that people like on location shoots. You told us you liked videos of our trainers working out in a variety of locations and not just the studio. Rooftops seem to be a particular favorite. So we will take our cameras and our production team out onto the streets of NYC to film the videos you’ve told us you like the most.
5. We learned that everyone has their favorite trainer.
All the ConBody workout videos have two things in common. They are all ConBody Prison Style Workouts using body weight exercises and designed so that they can be completed even in the tightest of spaces. And they are all taught by a ConBody trainer.
1. We learned that self-motivation is the hardest part of working out and making positive lifestyle changes. A physical gym offers that human interaction which is so important for motivation. Online is more challenging.
So many of our early adaptors started strong but dropped off after a few weeks. We get it. Life gets in the way. You told us you needed more support and we want to build a platform that will enable our trainers to KICK YOUR ASS or HOLD YOUR HAND (because we like snowflakes as much as we like hard asses).
2. We learned that some of you have trouble getting started so we have included an option for an initial consultation where our team will devise a workout program for you as an individual based on your fitness levels, fitness goals and tailor made to suit your lifestyle.
3. We learned that you want to let the trainers know how they did after each workout so we want to build a platform that enables you to RATE THE TRAINER and RATE THE WORKOUT. We LOVE competition and expect users to keep us on our toes because we sure as fuck mean to keep you on yours.
4. We learned that you love telling us how we're doing almost as much as we LOVE feedback. But we don’t want you to have to open up an email after a workout to let us know whether we killed it or could do better. It’s 2017 – that shit should be a one-button-click away.
5. We also learned that you loved the DASHBOARDS we had for a few weeks. No surprises there. People love to track their progress. Let’s get visual. We want to offer each user a personalized dashboard. Each time you log on you’ll be greeted with your progress and you’ll be able to set your own personal weight or fitness targets which we’ll be able to track. Knock yourself out and set your own goals but beware, if you miss them - we will virtually Kick Your Ass and you will forfeit $1 to the ConBody Foundation. Shit just got REAL.
We also know people’s successes should be celebrated so we want to enable you lot to be able to post that shit all over your social media. The virtual gym will have online chat rooms for members from all over the world to communicate with each other. We are a community after all.
There’s nothing like the real thing though, right?
We learned that sometimes you want to feel part of the hype in NYC so we want to build a platform that will enable you to sign up for live classes in NYC and participate online.
We have a team of techies ready to build the Virtual Gym to spec. If we go over our asking amount expect serious gadgetry, an app, group workouts and one-on-one personal training sessions with live chats and real time leader boards - We're always looking for that "ConBody of the Month".
But be warned! The workouts are hard a.f. Prepare to sweat, burn, ache and transform. But don't forget to sign the waiver when you first sign up. We can't help you if you trip over your dog or slip on last night's left over pizza slice (pick that shit up anyway).
Risks and challenges
It’s a technology build. What could possible go wrong? Right?
Technology builds are notoriously challenging but we’ve painstakingly navigated the past few months of R&D. But we didn’t just conduct surveys and ask people what they wanted. We put that shit online and let people play with different features.
However, we’re setting out to provide for a global audience so we expect to have to remain agile as the project evolves and that can impact timeliness. To counteract this, we promise supporters that we will have an online presence by January 2018 with ConBody workout videos to enjoy even if we have to phase in some of the more challenging features.
We believe that in almost any project, people are the key to success. That’s why our trainers are our greatest asset and why our techies are paramount to the success of our VIRTUAL GYM build.
Over the course of our 6 months, R&D, we met with and got to know numerous techies to help us select the "right fit" technology partners.
The greatest challenge we face is the management of the build out so we have set in place a timeline that will ensure twice weekly meetings between the techies and the ConBody team to make sure everything stays on track.
We have also already invested in our own recording equipment to enable us to be more flexible when it comes to videoing, especially creating videos outside. Turns out the trainers don’t like jumping up and down with mics so we’ve bought a camera that will take care of audio even when filming out of doors.
But we are learning all the time and while we know we’ve already come a long way, we fully embrace a path that means we’ll continue to learn - so your input and feedback as we produce and publish content will be invaluable.
Our biggest challenge is time. We remain a tiny team but we hope, with the success of the VIRTUAL GYM we’ll be able to grow out our team of both trainers and those that support them to grow the movement and have as many people as possible every day, all over the world, logging on to do their prison style workouts.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter