About this project
>> SPECIAL BONUS MYSTERY STRETCH GOAL AT 480 BACKERS! <<
What is SINK?
SINK is a series of offbeat, stand alone crime stories, all linked by one shared location: Sinkhill.
A forgotten East End district of a warped funhouse mirror vision of Glasgow, Scotland, Sinkhill is a hive of crooks, deviants and killers, and ordinary folk unfortunate enough to live among them.
In SINK #1, Allan, an affluent young suburbanite, misses the last bus home after a night out in Glasgow City Centre, forcing him to walk through the inner city.
Allan's journey takes him into the East End district of Sinkhill, where he is subjected to a psychotic bus driver, deviant youths, a shovel-wielding vigilante, and the nightmare that waits in the blue van... just another Friday night in Sinkhill.
Who will love SINK?
- Fans of horror comics like Harrow County or Nailbiter.
- Fans of crime comics like Sin City or Fell.
- People from Scotland, who'll recognize the distinctive Glasgow locales.
- People NOT from Scotland, who will enjoy a universally relatable tale with the added flavor of an unfamiliar setting.
- Fans of ComixTribe's OXYMORON: THE LOVELIEST NIGHTMARE, as this reunites the writer/artist team of John Lees and Alex Cormack.
- Fans of ComixTribe's AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE, with writer John Lees returning for another slice of Caledonian Gothic.
- People who are terrified of clowns!
What exactly do you get with SINK #1?
- SINK #1 is a 32-page comic in standard American comic size, on high-quality gloss paper.
- Backers get 2 great covers from artist Alex Cormack.
- Includes 24 pages of story plus additional backmatter.
- Plus loads of additional bonus content in the Full Van Digital PDF.
- At higher levels, cool bundles of extra merchandise, including mini-prints, props and a World Tour T-shirt.
- At highest levels, limited opportunities to get original art, from sketch covers and pinups to the chance to be drawn into the world of the series as a terrifying clown!
Here's What Creators Who Know Horror are Saying About SINK...
And Here's How Horror Fans Around the World Are Reacting to SINK...
The Critics Are Already Buzzing...
Horror in the comic medium can often be a tricky concept to master, with the go-to staples like creepy soundtracks and jump-scares all but removed from the equation. Thankfully, we’re in good hands here with Lees, someone who appreciates the subtler nuances of the genre, such as the simplicity of that sinking feeling in the pit of your gut as a van drives past you, stops, then slowly reverses.
- Craig Nielson, Big Comic Page
This tale is not about Allan, the story's main character. The point of the story, the real “main character” is Glasgow herself. Within her borders lies a heart of darkness like unto Hell itself.
- Michael Nunneley, Big Glasgow Comic Page
Between the bus, the dickheads, and Mr. Dig, you've got more than enough terror in one comic. Then you continue on in a series of pages that is somehow a million times scarier than anything that came before it. There's a page turn here that literally made me jump when reading it. It comes out of nowhere and it's absolutely chilling.
- James Ferguson, Horror Talk
Are YOU Ready to Get in the Van with SINK?
Who Exactly is Behind This Depravity?
John Lees (writer)
John Lees is a comic book writer best known for his work on acclaimed horror series AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE with artist Iain Laurie , and award-winning superhero drama THE STANDARD with artist Jonathan Rector. He last worked with Alex Cormack on OXYMORON: THE LOVELIEST NIGHTMARE, co-written by Tyler James. He reunited with EMILY collaborator Iain Laurie for the horror comic, QUILTE. Most recently, he worked with artist Nick Pitarra on TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES UNIVERSE #6.
Alex Cormack (artist)
Alex Cormack is a comic book illustrator whose works include most recently HARDCORE AKAN from STX Entertainment and Bliss on Tap, along with OXYMORON: THE LOVELIEST NIGHTMARE and FIND, both from ComixTribe, FUTURE PROOF and I PLAY THE BAD GUY, both from Bliss on Tap, TWO REDHEADS AND A DEAD BLONDE, and many others. He lives in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA with his wife, Ashley, and their three cats: Danger, Destruction, and Disaster.
Colin Bell (letterer)
Colin Bell has built up an extensive portfolio lettering credits for various publishers, including work for Image, BOOM, and more. He is also a celebrated writer in his own right, penning the popular British all-ages comic DUNGEON FUN and working on regular back-up strips for Titan's DOCTOR WHO comic with his regular collaborator, Neil Slorance.
And What's This Kickstarter For Exactly?
For the release of SINK, I wanted to do something different. Ahead of it launching in the direct market later this year, I decided to promote the series through a dedicated SINK mailing list.
People who "get in the van" and join the newsletter get, amid lots of bonus content, advance digital copies of each issue of SINK as they become available.
This has proven incredibly popular with our subscribers, and yet there is still sizeable demand for print editions, which, until now, have only been available at convention stops on the World Tour.
Now, wherever you are, you too can be part of the SINK World Tour.
SINK is a passion project of mine, the big "one day" story I've long had in my head that I finally feel ready to tackle.
It is a twisted love letter to my hometown of Glasgow, Scotland, and so is in a way a deeply personal story, one I believe I'm better equipped to tell than anyone.
I want to do all I can to make this my biggest comic yet, and you can help me do that!
Why come to Kickstarter?
The comic is already finished, already slated for release later in the year, the blue van is already rolling on that World Tour... But with this Kickstarter's help, we can fund an off-set print run at a larger scale to meet all our requirements: a full supply of stock for the various conventions and in-store signings the creative team have planned, and even copies of the book to send out in advance to retailers to encourage them to order big on the series when the time comes.
Want a Juicy Taste of SINK Before You Back?
The SINK team has put together a 19-page Digital Ashcan featuring a horrifying scene from SINK #1 as well as a glimpse ahead at the future of the series.
Click here to download the free SINK Digital Ashcan [pdf].
Kickstarter Exclusive: More Than Just A Comic, Get the SINK Soundtrack!
US & UK Friendly Shipping Rates!
Our "We Won't Be Dickheads" Money-Back Guarantee
In the world of SINK, the Dickheads are a vile street gang making up the lowest rung of the Sinkhill underworld. Meet a Dickhead on the street and you're lucky if all they do is rob you blind.
We promise not to be Dickheads and strive to over-deliver for all of our Kickstarter backers. If for some reason we fail to meet your expectations in this campaign, we'll make it right. Otherwise, you can return your reward for a full refund.
But Wait, There's More... We're Giving Away $50.00+ Worth of Comics to a Backer EVERY DAY of the SINK Campaign!
The Project Timeline
- The Kickstarter Campaign: 4 Weeks (Jan 31 - Mar 2)
- Book Goes to Printer: Week of Feb 26
- Digital Rewards Released: Early March
- Kickstarter Funds Released: 2 Weeks (Mar 16)
- Book Printing and Freight to US/UK Warehouse - 8-10 Weeks (March - May 15)
- Extra buffer time of unexpected delays - 2 Weeks (May 15- Jun 1)
- Fulfillment Center Picking, Packing and Shipping (Week of Jun 1)
- Expected delivery to US & UK Backers - 2 Weeks (Late Jun)
- Expected delivery for International Backers - 4 Weeks (July)
- SINK #1 hits the Direct Market (August)
Thanks so much for taking the time to learn about SINK!
It would mean the world to me if you became a SINK Kickstarter Backer and helped us bring the world of SINK into homes, comic shops, bar rooms and back alleys around the globe.
If you'd like to help, please select one of the awesome pledge rewards and click the green BACK THIS PROJECT Button to get in the van with the rest of us clowns.
It's gonna be a wild ride, I promise.
Risks and challenges
There are actually very few substantial risks for this project. The comic itself is already completed. The bonus content in our Full Van deluxe digital packages is already assembled. This is a comic which is ready to go out into the world. In fact, it already HAS been out in the world, with a great response.
If there is any risk, it comes with the additional content. It could be an ambitious undertaking to draw in the various bonus goodies from different sources into one tidy package to send out promptly to backers.
However, ComixTribe has a lengthy track record of successful Kickstarters behind them, and a reputation for impeccable rewards fulfillment.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)