Comicker Press: Season 2
The next batch of diversity-focused, creator-owned graphic novels are headed your way!
Comicker Press: Season 2
The next batch of diversity-focused, creator-owned graphic novels are headed your way!
With this Kickstarter campaign, Comicker Press brings its second round of diversity-focused, digital-first, creator-owned series to print: THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK: VOLUME 2 by Kate Sherron, CHIMERA by Tyler Ellis, KYRIE by Matt Crotts, SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON written by Michael D. Stewart, art by Thomas Boatwright, and lettering by James Greatorex, and WAKING LIFE by Ben Humeniuk. All five volumes are ready to bring to print as a trade paperbacks.
THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK: VOL. 2 - This volume takes a PULP FICTION-y non-chronological twist on the noir urban fantasy of Volume One, wherein freelancer Rabbit Black was murdered, only to be accidentally resurrected by the necromancer downstairs.
CHIMERA - In this epic space opera set in the distant future, a crew of thieves finds themselves caught in the middle of an interstellar holy war.
KYRIE - When a priceless artifact becomes the centerpiece of the Roman and Persian Empires' unlikely peace negotiations, three thieves set out on a mission to claim it for themselves - and discover a plot to harness a dark power from civilization's dawn.
SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON - A comedy where a werewolf and his best friend-cum-werewolf-sitter are just trying to survive a few regular days of classes, work, and no personal life.
WAKING LIFE - The Princess of the Dream Realm decides to crash the real world with the help of her best friend...who's no longer a kid, and only wants to get through high school.
Keep scrolling for lengthier descriptions, larger covers, sample pages, Rewards, Add-Ons, news, and more!
The first two Comicker Press books - THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK: VOLUME 1 by Kate Sherron, and LOST ANGELS: PARADISE HIGH by David Accampo & Chris Anderson - were brought to print via a successful Kickstarter campaign last year.
- Project We Love! - Kickstarter
- "Exclusive Interview: Sean E. Williams Introduces COMICKER Season 2" - Comicosity - The Casebook of Rabbit Black #4 Cover Revealed! - 8/24/17
- "Ep. 144 – Sean E. Williams" - Panels & Pizza - 8/24/17
- "Comicker Press Is Kickstarting a 5 Title Set of Graphic Novels" - The Beat - 8/24/17
- Backer-Only Free KYRIE Process Video "Myra" Added! - 8/26/17
- Backer-Only Free SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON Soundtrack Added! - 8/28/17
- "Devil Skin" Digital Comic & Chris Anderson Commissions Added (see below)! - 8/30/17
- Backer-Only Free WAKING LIFE: THE FRIEND EATER Kickstarter Exclusive Edition Comic Added! - 9/1/17
- "Crowdfunding Corner" - Broken Frontier - 9/2/17- "Why you should back it: Comicker Press are committed to diversity and representation both on and off the page through all their projects. You’ll be supporting that philosophy by helping to bring these digital-first comics to print."
- "Creating Comics is Hard - Comicker is Here to Help!" - Bleeding Cool - 9/2/17 - In which co-founder Sean E. Williams announces "The C4" - The Comicker Creator Convention Calendar!
- Project of the Day! - Kickstarter - 9/3/17
- "Comicker Press Brings Its Creator Owned Magic Back to Kickstarter" - Geek.com - 9/4/17 - With Preview Pages of "Devil Skin"!
- Backer-Only Free KYRIE Process Video "Tersius" Added! - 9/8/17
- Backer-Only Free Sean E. Williams' Convention Go-Bag! - 9/13/17
- Backer-Only Free KYRIE Process Video "Inspirations and Process" Added AND Free First Issues of ALL Season 2 Series! - 9/16/17
THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK: VOLUME 2:
Word on the street is when you’ve got a problem, Rabbit Black’s the one to solve it. After he's accidentally resurrected by his necromancer neighbor downstairs, who better, then, to investigate Rabbit’s own grisly murder than himself?
In Volume Two, the curtain threatens to fall for the last time when Hettie finds herself on the wrong side of a crime family, and after losing a plumb position, Isadora lands herself not one new job but two...both of which Rabbit plans to take advantage of. Also, more people die.
The trade paperback includes the next two extra-large issues of the comic series by Kate Sherron: "The Case of the Embroiled Ingénue" and "The Case of the Lady's Finger"! Full color, 96 pages! MSRP $14.99. For readers 15 and up (due to violence and language).
"With THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK, writer-artist-visionary Kate Sherron has single handedly crafted an inventive and addicting caper dripping with charm, intrigue, and style." - Ryan Ferrier (KENNEL BLOCK BLUES, HOT DAMN)
"Kate Sherron is a remarkably undefinable voice. With stories that are unique and modern yet echo of classical literature, Rabbit Black maintains a mystique and charm that is altogether befuddling. I'm not sure how she does it. Add on her beautiful and dexterous art and you have a delightful, immersive and idiosyncratic experience. I'm jealous as hell." - Brian Level (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS, CONSTANTINE)
"If Matisse made a comic, it would look like this." - Adam Bolton (WHERE'S MY SHOGGOTH?, GATEHOUSE)
"Rabbit Black is a fascinating look at a comic, a character, and a creator maturing at the same time. A true voice being born!" - Paul Tobin (Eisner-award-winning & New York Times bestselling author of BANDETTE, COLDER, GENIUS FACTOR, and PLANTS VS ZOMBIES)
The year is 4057, and Earth is long gone. The galaxy is ripped apart by a violent religious crusade, and a crew of thieves finds themselves caught in the middle of it. Haunted by their pasts, they navigate a universe bounded by threats on all sides: hostile planets, a mentally unstable demon, a murderous tanuki, and "God" Himself.
CHIMERA: THE RIGHTEOUS & THE LOST - written and illustrated by Tyler Ellis. The trade paperback includes the first six issues of CHIMERA, exclusive pin-ups and more! Full color, 168 pages! MSRP $19.99. For readers 15 and up (due to language and violence).
When a priceless artifact becomes the centerpiece of the Roman and Persian Empires' unlikely peace negotiations, three thieves set out on a mission to claim it for themselves - and discover a plot to harness a dark power from civilization's dawn.
KYRIE: PART 1: THE CURSE OF THE MACEDONIAN SCROLL - by Matt Crotts. The trade paperback includes the first seven issues of KYRIE, exclusive pin-ups and more! Full color, 136 pages! MSRP $16.99. For readers 12 and up (due to violence).
"This is one of those rare, wonderful tales in which you can revel in the surface - the beautiful, evocative colours, the movement and character of the sublime linework - but at the same time there is something beneath, pulling you deeper into the story with every panel, taking you on a journey that conjures anticipation and promises excitement - a perfect recipe for adventure. Matt Crotts has created a world that is tinted with magic yet also feels historically real and alive - it’s a joy to get lost in. KYRIE is a real treasure." - Garen Ewing, creator of THE RAINBOW ORCHID
"Matt Crotts uses beautiful drawing, dynamic storytelling, and a well-researched blend of history and legend to bring the ancient border between empires to vibrant life. KYRIE is definitely a comic to watch." - Chris Schweizer, creator of THE CROGAN ADVENTURES
SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON:
SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON is a graphic novella that centers on 20-something college student and werewolf Bert, his best-friend-turned-werewolf-nanny Erin, and the deadly trouble they get into just trying to get through a normal couple of days. Mixing elements of classic horror, John Hughes movies, and 80s/90s comedies, SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON goes for the heart as much as the jugular (it’s funny, heartwarming, and scary).
SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON - written by Michael D. Stewart, art by Thomas Boatwright, and lettering by James Greatorex! Includes the entire standalone graphic novella, 10 newly-created pages from Bert's journal after the events of SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON illustrated by Thomas Boatwright, concept art, a playlist, and exclusive pin-ups! Black and white interior art, 80 pages! MSRP $11.99. For readers 15 and up (due to language).
"Always re-readable, always engaging. I never thought werewolves were my jam, but Michael Stewart and Thomas Boatwright approach SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON with enough style and substance to make this a yarn worth picking up." - Sina Grace (ICEMAN, NOTHING LASTS FOREVER)
“The tone throughout SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON is kept mercifully light with plenty of quirky jokes and witty asides, which give the book a lightness without ever become too self-referential. It has the energy and smarts of a series like John Layman’s CHEW, which manages to balance the serious with the surreal just perfectly.” - Pipedream Comics
"SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON looks so damn good. It has a FANG-Tastic werewolf that adds to how great the artwork is, but what I really liked about this book was the writing. It's a classic "how do I control the change" tale, that adds in some great humor." - Decapitated Dan
People leave their dreams behind all the time. But what if the dream is YOU? That’s a fate the Princess of the Dream Realm wants to avoid. And to get her friend Robbie back, she’s going to do something unprecedented — enter the waking world. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what an old enemy’s been counting on… LITTLE NEMO IN SLUMBERLAND meets DEGRASSI, and fantasy worlds meet the halls of high school in this character-driven adventure comic, inspired by the vibrant life and work of Winsor McCay.
WAKING LIFE: BOOK 1: PLEASANT PLACES - written and illustrated by Ben Humeniuk. The digest-sized trade paperback includes the first four issues of WAKING LIFE, exclusive pin-ups and more! Full color, 200 pages! MSRP $14.99. For readers 12 and up (due to school drama and fantasy violence).
"A delightful new spin on an old classic - Ben Humeniuk launches his innovative cartooning into dreamland with gusto!" - Jonny Jimison (THE DRAGON LORD SAGA)
"Wonders abound as nuanced characterization makes WAKING LIFE a genuinely fresh reinterpretation of Winsor McKay's original dream genre, reinvigorating the classic premise for modern readers." - Bryan J.L. Glass (THE MICE TEMPLAR)
All Comicker Press books (last year's "Season 1" campaign and this Season 2 campaign) have matte-finish covers and UV spot gloss, as seen in these photos:
Note how the gloss catches the light! Shiny!
All rewards are offered per book, or in combination!
Exclusive Digital Editions: The digital editions to the trade paperbacks are EXCLUSIVE to this Kickstarter campaign, and won't be made available anywhere else. These will be sent as soon as the final files are at the printer - approximately two weeks after the Kickstarter.
Trade Paperbacks: The physical books come with the corresponding digital editions! The books will ship as soon as we receive them in November, but the digital editions will be sent as soon as the final files are at the printer - approximately two weeks after the Kickstarter.
Signed Bookplate Editions (Add-on): These tiers include the physical book, all the corresponding digital comics, as well as a bookplate signed by the corresponding creator! They will be hand-numbered, and limited to the quantity sold via (and EXCLUSIVE to) this Kickstarter! Just add $5 to your trade paperback pledge!
Sketch Bookplate Editions: These tiers include all of the above, as well as a character sketch from the corresponding series by the series creator. Just add $15 to your trade paperback pledge!
Comicker Digital Subscription: We're getting back to our roots! This tier will get you $50 of upcoming Comicker Digital issues (we expect it to be approximately two years' worth of comics!), delivered directly to you as PDFs up to a month before they're available as issues anywhere else. Our creators get better royalties through this than other distribution methods, so subscribe away! Note: this does NOT include digital exclusives featured in this Kickstarter campaign, only future digital issues available to the general public. Our current lineup of on-going series includes:
- Artful Daggers by Adam P. Knave, Sean E. Williams, and Andrew Losq
- Brainbuster 2019 by JB Roe & James H. Dufresne
- The Casebook of Rabbit Black by Kate Sherron
- Chimera by Tyler Ellis
- Gatehouse by Sean E. Williams & Adam Bolton
- Grimfish by Aaron Pittman
- Kyrie by Matt Crotts
- The Lion and the Roc by Kathleen Kralowec
- Lost Angels by David Accampo & Chris Anderson
- Parallel Page by James Plier & Chris Bourroughs
- Sylvania by Kristin Kemper
- Waking Life by Ben Humeniuk
With more series coming soon!
Complete Comicker Digital Collection: The same as the Comicker Digital Subscription tier, but you also get all the currently-released Comicker Digital back issues (including SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON), delivered directly to you as PDFs.
Early Bird Specials: These tiers are limited in quantity, and offer free shipping within the United States!
NEW! "Devil Skin" Digital Comic: From David Accampo & Chris Anderson, the creators of LOST ANGELS, comes a one-shot digital horror short in the vein of THE TWILIGHT ZONE!
Complete Season 2 and Comicker Press Packs: As a special thank you to the hardcore Backers who back at these levels, we're offering free shipping in the US!
Book Club/Retailer Tiers: We're retailer friendly! These tiers offer the books at a wholesale bulk rate, and include the Kickstarter Exclusive digital editions for book club members and employees who prefer to read digitally! Plus: any retailer who backs at this tier will be added to the list of Retailers We Love on Twitter (and soon to be on our website as well!)!
Gatehouse Patron: In a specially designed page that will be delivered to you digitally, Sean E. Williams and Adam Bolton will use your name, occupation and interests to turn YOU into a patron of the GATEHOUSE! Sean will write an original prose story set in the multiverse of GATEHOUSE with an accompanying sketch by Adam! Each story is unique to YOU, the backer, making this a one-of-a-kind reward! Includes a PDF of the first issue of GATEHOUSE.
- Watercolor Commissions: Commission your own work of art from either RABBIT BLACK's Kate Sherron or KYRIE's Matt Crotts. 9"x12" watercolor, single-figure. Subject matter subject to artist approval. Both tiers include digital and physical copies of their books as well.
- Digital Commissions: Commission your own work of digital art from CHIMERA's Tyler Ellis. Single-figure. Subject matter subject to artist approval.
- Ink Commission: Commission your own work of ink art from LOST ANGELS' Chris Anderson. Single-figure. Subject matter subject to artist approval.
Unique WAKING LIFE Rewards:
- Dreamer! Get written into WAKING LIFE! Your name and likeness will be written into a future issue of WAKING LIFE!
- Original WAKING LIFE Pages: You can own an original page from WAKING LIFE, sold on a first-come, first-served basis of the pages available from Ben Humeniuk. 11x17 "normal" paper (not Bristol board).
- Sweet Dream Combo: The two above tiers combined! Own the original page from WAKING LIFE with your likeness on it.
How do you add an Add-On? Simply click the "Manage Your Pledge" button, then add in the amount of the Add-On you want to add to your pledge. For example, say you backed a CHIMERA Trade Paperback, but want a Kate Sherron Patch Pack as well. Simply add $16 to your Pledge, and once we're funded, we'll ask you which Add-On you wanted in a Survey. It's that easy! We're using BackerKit as we did with our previous Kickstarter, to make it even easier!
Additional Trade Paperbacks: Want to get more than one book? Simply add the amount for each book listed below that you want to add. (US Backers: first additional book ships free, add $1 for each additional book beyond that. International backers: add $5 for every additional book.)
THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK Vol. 2 - $15
CHIMERA - $20
KYRIE - $17
SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON - $12
WAKING LIFE - $15
Comicker Press Launches! (aka Season 1) Trade Paperbacks: Miss out on our first Kickstarter campaign? Simply add the amount for each book listed below that you want to add. (US Backers: first additional book ships free, add $1 for each additional book. International backers: add $5 for every additional book.)
THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK Vol. 1 - $15
LOST ANGELS Volume 1: Paradise High - $20
- Self-Published Edition of SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON: Only 200 were ever made, and we've got the last handful! First-come, first-served - $5 (includes shipping if paired with a trade paperback, otherwise add $5 for US shipping, $18 for international shipping).
- NEW! "Devil Skin" Digital Comic: From David Accampo & Chris Anderson, the creators of LOST ANGELS, comes a one-shot digital horror short in the vein of THE TWILIGHT ZONE. - $5
- Full-sized Art Print: 8.5" x 11" - Glossy, 100 lbs. cover-weight stock - Pick SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON or WAKING LIFE - $10 (includes shipping if paired with trade paperback, otherwise add $5 for US shipping, or $18 for international shipping).
- Set of Two Mini-Prints: 5.5" x 8.5" - Glossy, 100 lbs. cover-weight stock - Pick any combo of two mini-prints (two of one, or one of each): SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON or WAKING LIFE - $10 (includes shipping if paired with trade paperback, otherwise add $5 for US shipping, or $18 for international shipping).
- Kate Sherron Patches: Set of two (2) Embroidered Patches w/ Plain Backs: "Hell If I Know" - 3.25"W x 3"H and "Keep On Rockin'" - 1.5"W x 3"H - $16 (free shipping with physical order, otherwise add $5 for US shipping, $15 for international shipping).
- Comicker Digital Subscription: We're getting back to our roots! This add-on will get you $50 of upcoming Comicker Digital issues, delivered directly to you as PDFs almost a month before they're available as issues anywhere else. Our creators get better royalties through this than other distribution methods, so subscribe away! Note: this does NOT include digital exclusives featured in this Kickstarter campaign, only future digital issues available to the general public - $50
- Complete Comicker Digital Collection: The same as the Comicker Digital Subscription add-on, but you also get ALL the currently-released Comicker Digital back issues, delivered directly to you as PDFs - $120
- Watercolor Commissions: Commission your own work of art from either RABBIT BLACK's Kate Sherron or KYRIE's Matt Crotts. 9"x12" watercolor, single-figure (see sample above). Subject matter subject to artist approval - $150 (includes shipping - US Backers only).
- Digital Commissions: Commission your own work of digital art from CHIMERA's Tyler Ellis. Single-figure (see sample above). Subject matter subject to artist approval - $120
- Ink Commission: Commission your own work of ink art from LOST ANGELS' Chris Anderson. Single-figure. Subject matter subject to artist approval - $150 (includes shipping - US Backers only).
Since we're using BackerKit for this campaign, you'll be able to add all these after the fact as well.
WHO WE ARE:
Comicker LLC was founded by Saori Adams & Sean E. Williams when we surveyed the comics scene and realized we wanted to make the most creator-friendly comics publisher possible. What did this mean? It meant a flexible schedule, because most creators have day jobs or other work-for-hire comics series they're working on. It meant good terms for creators, because we're creators ourselves and we look out for our own (we've actually been told by comics lawyers that we have the second-best deal for creators in the industry). It meant a variety of platforms, because you have to go to where the readers already are. And it meant digital-first, because we were doing it ourselves, and we were paying for everything out of pocket.
We launched on February 26th, 2015 with our Comicker Digital imprint, putting out comics online, on comiXology, and on DriveThruComics. By the end of the year, we'd added Kindle to our distribution line-up. We also added a free weekly newsletter!
By being truly creator-friendly, we saw the results immediately in the form of diversity. A year after launching, we had ten series in production, and are looking at submissions regularly. We don't have a house style. A third of our creators are women or persons of color (but we'd like it to be more!). Almost all of our series have women and/or minorities as protagonists - in this campaign, SOME KIND OF BLUE MOON is the only book with a straight white male protagonist. And we now require that any new series we pick up has minority representation on or off the page - hence the "Diversity focused." in our tagline. If you're looking for something new, refreshing, and unique, we've got a series for you.
Last year, thanks to the generous support of over 200 Backers on Kickstarter, we took our next big step: bringing two Comicker Digital series to print under our Comicker Press imprint: THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK: VOLUME 1 by Kate Sherron, and LOST ANGELS: VOLUME 1: PARADISE HIGH by David Accampo & Chris Anderson.
This year, we partnered with hoopla digital to bring all our series to library card holders across North America for free, and are looking to bring the next round of series to print via this campaign.
And in case you were wondering, we're Kickstarter users ourselves. Click on through to see the profiles of Comicker LLC co-founder Sean E. Williams, THE CASEBOOK OF RABBIT BLACK's Kate Sherron, KYRIE's Matt Crotts, and WAKING LIFE's Ben Humeniuk. Between us, we've backed over 70 projects!
While Comicker Digital is covering its own costs currently, it's not making enough to fund Comicker Press. Our books aren't available nationally at the moment aside from the Pacific Northwest (via Emerald Comics Distro), online ordering, conventions, and a handful of Retailers We Love (but stay tuned!). That's why we're bringing these books to print all at once via Kickstarter: to get them made and to readers as quickly as possible. As many creators know, you make as much (if not more) money selling your books at conventions as you do in royalties. This campaign is timed so that the books will go to the printer as soon as the campaign ends, allowing us to get them to you in time for the holiday season, and to the creators in time for next convention season. Barring any unforeseen shipping delays (such as the Port of Long Beach strike in 2015), we'll have the books in hand in November - just in time to get them to you for the holidays.
With this Kickstarter, we're continuing to build a solid financial foundation for Comicker Press to bring future books to print as well!
The funds for this campaign break down as such:
These numbers are based on what we learned from our first campaign. As a creator-owned publisher, we focus on doing what's right by the creators we work with - that's why all the creators are receiving the same royalties for every sale via this Kickstarter as they would if these books were sold through traditional retailers. And all profits on the add-ons are being split 50/50 as well.
Due to the constant increase in shipping costs, we're shipping everything applicable via USPS Media Mail domestically, although with the holiday season we'll be offering expedited shipping as well (at an additional cost). For international shipping, costs have also risen exponentially (as you can see), and we are in talks with an international shipping partner to get the lowest price possible. If you're outside the US, another option to possibly lower your shipping costs is to use a domestic/international shipping service like Shipito - we haven't used them ourselves, so we can't vouch for them.
Risks and challenges
All five books are ready for the printer, and we're using only vendors we've used in the past for all aspects of this Kickstarter, so we're confident we can deliver the best product possible within the timeframe we've laid out here.
One challenge we face is unforeseen shipping delays, such as port closings or strikes.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)