About this project
As a THANK YOU for backing the project, every Backer who pledges $25 or more will receive their choice of the 3 original art prints (11" x 17") from Garrett Richert!
Any Backer who pledges $100 or more will receive one of the 3 concept art prints (11" x 17")!
Any backer above $250 will receive the Doctor Who Concept Piece:
The Colorworld Series is 7 books of Superhero-Light, Apocalyptic, New Adult, Brother/Sister Team-Up, Urban Fantasy AMAZINGNESS starring Wendy, Gabe, Ezra, and Kaylen.
Wendy has a freak accident (or is it?) that leaves her with a dangerous ability similar to Marvel's Rogue. At least that's how it seems at first. By the time book 3 rolls around, we learn that Wendy's lethal skin is merely a symptom of a much more powerful ability with higher stakes. The series is designed to take you on a journey that will ask harder and harder questions with each book. More action. More characters. More suspense. More twists. This is what you can expect from this series.
More on the Project!
Check out how you can be REWARDED for Backing our Project!
The following Genres and Themes are in the series:
1) Superheroes - PARANORMAL is out and SUPERHERO is IN!!! (but not the spandex wearing, laser beams from the eyes, flying around type) This version of heroes is like the old Fox show Heroes...believable ones, with realistic powers that readers can see happening. (And in reality, since book 1 was released, we continue to receive real-life accounts of people with just such abilities--which is actually pretty darn neat)
2) That kind of realism makes this an Urban Fantasy because it takes place in the world we know. California primarily. The Series will also find our characters in Wyoming, New York, South Dakota, Washington, Nevada, and more!
3) Young Adult & New Adult (boy is this genre hot right now)(It's not intentional that Rachel writes what's hot when it's hot...she's just that good)(Many of the characters are college-age or late teens).
4) Romance - but not the kind you can't read around your Mom. Real, honest love between people. AND it's not the focus of the books, so you get a well written relationship between two super cool people without having to read anything you just want to skip over. This is the real deal-everyone needs to read-holy cow did she just say that out loud-I have to read this again-romance.
5) Everyone loves the moment when we find out Luke is really Leia's sister (kind of...didn't they kiss)? The brother/sister fight against the evil forces in the world is a fun theme...not to be excluded from any amazing Book Series. The Weaselys do it in Harry Potter. Heck, Hansel & Gretel teamed up to fight evil at least TWICE (old fairytale and a movie). Bottom line, we all love a good brother & sister dynamic.
Colorworld is indie published, which means it's up to people like you to help it succeed. With this KickStarter Project, we hope to accomplish four main objectives:
1) Publish hard back editions of every book in the series, as well as special editions that include illustrations.
2) Develop audiobooks so that the entire story can be told in whatever format people relate to best.Audiobooks require both a voice actor/actress AND a sound engineer to do the soundscape and post production.
3) Create a Colorworld buzz/Pay for marketing materials so we can get the word out! We have plans to tour the Comic Con & Wizard World circuit to get the word out about this series in the coming year. But we can't do that without funds! We have already toured locally and been extremely successful. This makes us confident that if we can just get in front of people, we can get people excited about the Colorworld. We also want to be able to create content regularly, both on the website, facebook, and our YouTube channel. The Colorworld is meant to be relatable, and most of all, be viable enough to make you seriously wonder, "What if this was real?" Because of that, we believe Colorworld can be more than just a book. It can be a forum, an idea, a motivator. Kickstarter can help us make Colorworld what we know it can be.
4) Continue to deliver high quality in every aspect of the series. This includes continuing to hire professional photographers, digital designers, artists, multiple editors, professional voice actresses/actors for the audiobook, and effective marketing materials that deliver the message that this is NOT just another indie book. Check out some of the things we've got in the works:
Wendy doesn't mind a little friendly competition (and neither do we):
Why should we keep making these books?
Humanity is losing hope in itself. Somehow, in the critical time between childhood and adulthood, we are learning to believe that humankind, as a whole, is more evil than good. We are not just taught, but encouraged to accept this as inevitable.
We reject this.
Colorworld is more than just a story. It's an idea. We honestly and sincerely feel that the series will make you think. It is meant to jar you. Maybe even upset you. Book 1 of the series sets the foundation for this by teaching you who Wendy is and what she struggles with. More importantly, when you read it we know you'll be thinking of all the places the Colorworld could go. The rest of the series will take you there as well as places you didn't expect. And in the end, the Colorworld will rekindle that hope in human kind that you might have lost.
A tall order? Yep. But we refuse to accept that the job belongs to someone else with more funds, more voice, more say, more authority. And we know that deep down, you believe this, too.
Can you make that a little clearer?
Who should NOT read this book:
1) It's not non-fiction like this (at least not that we know of for sure):
This story is a figment of Rachel's imagination and any similarities to Sarah Palin's autobiography are freak accidents. No confirmed cases of superhumans have been recorded to date...although Batman is probably not that far beyond the reach of a REALLY rich guy who knows how to beat people up and is friends with the police commissioner.
2) It's not a "real romance".
'Member above when I mentioned romance? Well, a "typical" romance novel is a consumable. It's filled with scenes where people take off clothes and do things your parents & church tell you to wait until you are married to do. This isn't that book. While it contains a terrific, true-to-life romance, it isn't one of those books with the naked guy on the cover of it holding some woman in a "gentle but firm" way.
3) It's NOT a paranormal romance.
There are no werewolves, vampires, warlocks, wizards, or other staples of the paranormal fantasy world. (Sorry Twilight fans...but we really do think you'll like this Series!)
4) It's NOT high fantasy.
It took J.R.R. Tolkien from 1936 to 1954 to complete Middle Earth, including all its languages, scenery, races, and history. THAT IS INTENSE! That is 18 years to create a total new world we could "live in" while we read the tales of Middle Earth. The Colorworld Series will be published in entirety by 2018 (just 4 years from now), and above all, we want it to pattern the rules of reality as closely as we possibly can so that we can relate to it here and now.
Can I get a taste of the Colorworld RIGHT NOW?
Colorworld, book 3, LUMAWORLD, will be available in print and on Kindle in December, 2014!
Tell me more about these illustrations!
We've commissioned amazing artists, Mike Richardson and Garrett Richert, to begin bringing the pages of the Colorworld to life. Seeing the characters we've poured our hearts into take on new dimensions just has us all giddy inside! But we want more!
Mike Richardson has already started illustrating the interior of Book 1: Colorworld.
And here is a scene from Teleworld!
Stretch Goal #1: $40,000 More Illustrations Please!
While our $20,000 goal will allow us to put a few illustrations into hard back special editions, this stretch goal will allow us to promise you a minimum of 12 illustrations per book for each of the 7 books in the series. That's a lot of art! And it's definitely more exciting reading!
Stretch Goal #2: $60,000+ Graphic Novel/Comic Book
Now we're talking movie on paper! There is a reason comic books and graphic novels are still going strong. Some people just relate better visually. More formats means we reach more people. That's what this Kickstarter campaign is all about.
We want to make the entire series into a graphic novel series. $60,000 will get us the first book. And there are 7!
With each $20,000 we raise past this stretch goal, we can bring you each subsequent book with high quality art and story-telling.
$60,000 - Colorworld Graphic Novel
$80,000 - Teleworld Graphic Novel
$100,000 - Lumaworld Graphic Novel
$120,000 - Colorworld, Book 4 Graphic Novel
$140,000 - Colorworld, Book 5 Graphic Novel
$160, 000 - Colorworld, Book 6 Graphic Novel
$170,000 - Colorworld, Book 7 Graphic Novel
Stretch Goal # 3: $200,000 You've Caught the Colorworld Vision and we're probably crying right now...
We are unstoppable. Books, eBooks, Audiobooks, and Graphic
Novels are just the beginning. Colorworld is intended to reach out from the pages. We already have visions for clothing, art, extended distribution, extended tours in more cities, and more access to everything Colorworld. If this stretch goal is reached, we will screen write Colorworld for movie production.
We hope you are excited about the Colorworld as much as we are! Jump in, contribute, be a part of Making Colorworld! You can do more homework on us and check out what others have said about the Series so far by going here:
Where can I find you?
Risks and challenges
We are EXTREMELY confident we can pull this off. BUT, be WARNED that we may encounter horrible tragedy that looks like this:
Rachel (the author) could die. That would be a terrible blow to the Colorworld...but it honestly doesn't put a nail in the coffin for the project. WHY, you ask? How is it possible for Colorworld to survive if Rachel makes an early exit?
6 of the 7 Books in the Colorworld Book Series are written; only Book 7 has yet to be written. SO, the risk is that whoever takes over pulls a "Divergent" and does something to make the fans hate the whole series right at the end when we should be "wrapping up".
The good news is that Rachel has threatened to come back and haunt anyone who tries to run Colorworld off the rails. AND, as a plus she is going to go all "Casper the Friendly Ghost" on whoever jumps in to finish the series (that would be a big help to ensure continuity).
But, as long as the Editor, Jamie, and the Illustrator, Mike, don't die...we should be able to keep on keepin' on. I mean, it's what Rachel would want if she dies...just ask her!
That being said, if Rachel, Jamie, and Mike all exit stage left...it would put a major crimp in things and it would be tough to finish the project (we absolutely will try).
So, if no one dies, what could muck this up? With most of the series written, it's certainly possible that someone throws a ton of money at Jamie or Mike and we can't afford to have them all to ourselves. That would be hard to pull off (unless Rachel's husband dies and she uses the life insurance money to make a big offer to Mike & Jamie). You would think all the death and big money would throw our project off track, but we like to plan ahead for this stuff.
Our fulfillment dates (when we project you will get your stuff) are extremely realistic. We can actually start shipping the first few award levels immediately after we launch the KickStarter campaign and nearly 1/2 of the levels can ship complete by the end of 2014 if we meet our funding goals!
If the movie studios come calling before all the Books (5, 6, & 7) are finished being written and edited; that will make it very challenging to meet the 2018 goals. BUT, on the flip side, the additional revenue means that Books 5, 6, & 7 can go into edit sooner rather than when they are slated to. That would really give a shot in the arm to our stretch goals and we could have the entire book series written, edited, and ready to publish years ahead of schedule.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)