About this project
Our Kickstarter campaign is over, but you can still get a Codlo in your local version (available in US, UK, EU, AU/NZ-style plugs). Head over to Codlo.com for more info and to place an order.
Thank you all backers!
Thanks to you, the Codlo sous-vide controller was successfully funded!
Orders are now available through Codlo.com.
Jason Perlow, eGullet founder, Senior Tech Editor ZDNet - "This could be next revolutionary food geekery toy. Sous Vide for the iPod-set."
As featured in:
Codlo is a powerful controller that lets you try sous-vide cooking at home, just with the help of a simple rice or slow cooker. It comes with commercial-quality precision and smart capabilities to help you make healthy, gourmet meals at home, effortlessly.
Codlo comes in 4 variations for US, EU, AU/NZ and UK-style plugs (see "Technical Specifications" section below for more info).
What’s sous-vide cooking? Why is it awesome?
The key to great cooking is temperature control. Sous-videis a cooking technique that uses low (way below boiling) and precise temperatures to create amazing dishes. Overcooking food will be history given the precision and control you now have.
Sous-vide cooking is easy: All you need to do is place your food ingredients into a bag, make it airtight, then plop it in a rice or slow cooker filled with water - Codlo does the rest and you only attend to it once it's done. Addition of fat or oil is optional.
We'll let the results speak for themselves:
Sous-vide is amazing with eggs the texture can change drastically from 60ºC/140ºF to 65ºC/149ºF. Check out this video:
Sous-vide lets you eat healthier while saving time & money too! Here are some tasty examples of what we've cooked using sous-vide so far (more examples in this update and our website's recipe section)...
How does Codlo work?
Codlo accurately regulates the water temperature in your cooker to ensure perfect cooking everytime.
Codlo works with appliances that has an analogue, mechanical switch (see FAQ at the bottom of the page for more on compatibility).
Just plug Codlo into your electric outlet, connect your cooker to Codlo (at its base), and dip the temperature probe in the water-filled cooker - you're now ready to cook sous-vide! It's plug-and-play at its best.
Why are we doing this?
We want to make sous-vide cooking easy and accessible. Currently limited to top chefs and a lucky few, we wanted to share the brilliant simplicity of this cooking technique with other home cooks like us. However, current consumer sous-vide appliances are either too expensive (£300-£900), bulky, or complicated to use. We decided to build our own to address those issues.
We took the sous-vide machine back to the drawing board. 3 elements are required for sous-vide cooking: a vessel, heater and temperature regulator. But why duplicate the vessel and heater when we already have similar kitchen appliances? Why add another bulky item to your kitchen countertop unnecessarily?
We focused on building a better temperature control system that works with any simple cooker (analogue / mechanical switch), which resulted in our patent-pending Fluid algorithm. Fluid automatically adapts to your individual cooker's characteristics for accurate temperature control.
This means Codlo learns as it cooks: automatically calibrating and updating PID parameters in the same cooking cycle, on-the-go. Thus Codlo can be used in a variety of situations (different cooker, amount of water, food, temperatures etc), without the need to adjust settings. No setup required, just plug-and-play.
- Sleek, compact and space-saving design
- Intuitive control panel
- °C and °F compatible
- Traffic light progress bar indicator
- Enhanced temperature stability with the adaptive, patent-pending Fluid algorithm
- Compatible with analogue switch cookers up to 2,000W in UK, EU, AUS/NZ and 1,000W in US
- Available in 110V-120V and 220-240V versions for UK, European, US and AU/NZ-style plugs
- 1-1.4m thermometer cable length
- 2.4" tri-colour wide-angled EBTN LCD display
- Temperature setting range: 20°C - 90°C / 68°F - 194°F
- Temperature resolution: 0.1°C / 0.1°F
- Temperature stability (once settled): ±0.2°C / ±0.4°F
- Timer setting range: 1 min to 99 hours
- Timer resolution: 1 min
And finally, a big thank you to:
Our friends Ian Sciacaluga (director), Nigel Kinnings (lighting & camera), Simon Buck (sound), Luke Thompson (editor), Jahzzar (music) for the amazing dedication and great work on our fantastic video.
YOU! For reading all the way to here, and taking an interest in our project! So here's our latest sous-vide dish we'd like to share with you:
Yours truly, the Codlo team
Risks and challenges
**THESE ARE RISKS AND CHALLENGES AS SEEN WHEN LAUNCHING OUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN ON 28 JUNE 2013.
FOLLOW US ON OUR BLOG FOR THE LATEST UPDATES ON HOW THESE CHALLENGES HAVE BEEN MET.**
1) Quality control: We are strict when it comes to the quality and finish of our products. Despite the confirmed confidence of our design team who worked with the manufacturer several times before, there's always the risk that we are not 100% satisfied with results of the initial test run. In such a case an additional iteration and improvement of the manufacturing process might be necessary. This unlikely scenario would delay the manufacturing process.
2) Product safety approval: From the start, we have engaged product safety experts and referred to safety guidelines outlined by various regional standards (CE, FCC, EMC, ETL/UL etc) when designing Codlo. Pre-compliance testing plans have also been arranged to ensure that Codlo will pass these safety tests in the first go. However, given that Codlo is a new kitchen device, there's always a risk that new safety regulations may apply or that the testing company's schedule itself is delayed. If this occurs, Codlo's shipping would be delayed.
We've been working on Codlo for a year, doing all the necessary preparation work upfront (more prototype testing, design finalisation, component and factory sourcing) to minimise our project risk and the potential delay. We are aware of the challenges above and have arrangements in place to overcome them.
We are committed to bring the Codlo sous-vide controller into the market with your help. Join us and be part of this exciting journey!
Thank you so much for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)