What is it?
The DUO is the world’s first and only DIY 3D sensing solution.
The DUO comes in many forms: with open hardware plans, molded cases, kits and fully assembled devices. All paired with an open source Driver, SDK and examples. Resulting in a professional grade solution for 3D sensing using stereo vision.
The best part is it’s extremely easy to use, just plug it in, download the software and you can start playing within minutes. If you can wave in the air you can use a DUO.
Who's talking about it?
What can it do?
We built the DUO with the DIY philosophy in mind, giving you the freedom to do whatever you want with it. Here are some of the key features:
- High performance and low latency
- Low cost, fully customizable and built using off-the-shelf components
- A general purpose solution and framework for stereo vision
- Can be easily integrated with existing projects and the hardware will be licensed under Creative Commons
- Human Computer Interaction
- Robotics/Machine Vision
- 3D Scanning/Environment Mapping
- and more...
Whether you are an artist, hobbyist, researcher or gadget fan, our goal is to make 3D sensing simple & customizable and can’t wait to see what you do with DUO.
With our first prototype video you can get a glimpse of what's possible.
Why are we doing this?
We have history in revolutionizing DIY touch systems for 2D space and will now do the same for 3D. With this project we aim to widen the availability and understanding of these technologies. The DUO is the convergence and evolution of our combined efforts and we are really excited seeing what amazing things you will create with it.
With the DUO we’re making fast and affordable 3D sensing accessible to everyone.
To do that we must:
- acquire all required components for at least 1000 kits
- continue to develop Linux and OSX support/integration
- further refine the software and implement new features
- ship the first batch of kits and assembled devices to our awesome backers
How far along is it?
As you can see we are pretty far along!
We already have our hardware prototypes working great. Our main goal now is to make it as affordable as possible and quickly get it into your hands. If we get at least 1000 units ordered we can get major price breaks on the components for the DUO.
Our Windows XP, 7 & 8 Driver/SDK is very stable (with over 4 million users) and is almost ready for beta testers. Shipping with the DUO is a highly optimized application that allows for precise tracking of hands, fingers and objects in 3D space. Although we believe in it being open, this application will not be immediately released as open source.
Beyond the software, the hardware has been through several revisions as you can see in the following images:
Our team has been doing cutting edge software and hardware engineering for over 15 years and have contributed significant research, code and discoveries to projects similar to DUO, which are already in use by millions of people. You can learn more about us on our team page.
CL Eye - The worlds’ first free Driver/SDK for the Sony PS3 Eye on Windows.
CL Kinect - The worlds’ first free Driver/SDK for the Kinect on Windows.
CL Studio - A real-time GPU accelerated visual processing and creation suite.
CCV - The definitive open source vision application for creating 2D touch systems.
Touchlib - The worlds’ first solution for open source DIY multi-touch.
Some of our initial research for this project started in early 2009 when we began experimenting with fast, in-air hand/finger tracking. This eventually lead to implementing more complex algorithms and methods for use with stereo vision.
Over the years we have gained crucial insight in creating highly optimized processing pipelines for computer vision. The DUO inherits these optimizations, which is demonstrated in the following video filmed at 240 FPS.
How will we do it?
We will work on finalizing and publishing the beta version of the Driver, SDK, examples and plans to get people started with building their own applications and sensors.
The DUO Kit assembly and packaging will be done in Las Vegas, helping support local manufacturing and growing tech scene. Thorough testing will help ensure reliability and standards are met before the DUO is packaged securely for shipping.
We will keep costs as low as possible and source all electronic components from UL/CE approved vendors to assure reliability. And we will put it all together, with a strict focus on quality.
We will use the funds to:
- Refine and fabricate the enclosure, source components and assemble, test and package kits and complete devices.
- Continue research and software development efforts, further integrate with Windows and support for Linux and OSX.
- Create beautiful documentation and plans that clearly illustrates how the DUO works and detailed instructions on how to build one on your own.
- Our first phase will focus on delivering the CAD files/blueprints on how to build your own DUO device using the commonly available and affordable PS3 Eye camera sensors.
- In our second phase we will release the software for Windows and shortly after for Linux and OSX. We then will ship DUO kits to help early adopters build their own devices.
- In our last phase we will ship the kits and fully assembled DUO devices as well as software updates to continue to refine our acquisition and tracking methods.
- Through all these phases and beyond we will transparently be working with our backers and the open community to make DUO the best solution available.
Updates & Questions
Future Developments of DUO: We have a tons of great ideas and research that will make DUO even more useful, powerful and all around awesomer. We hope that the project will be a big success so that we can share all our ideas and offer you an even better solution.
Frequent Questions: We have a lot we want to share with you about DUO, we are actively working on an extensive FAQ to answer all of your questions. And are standing by to answer any questions you may have.
Fun Fact: Even though the DUO focuses on 3D sensing it could potentially be used for 2D touch tracking on vertical and horizontal surfaces.
Risks and challenges
We've been working on the DUO for the past several years and had initially aimed to launch in November 2012. We held back so that we could ensure the prototype worked perfectly and so that we could form relationships with good suppliers and manufacturers. We are now confident that we can successfully deliver, so we’re launching the DUO.
With any project there are always challenges that can arise as the work progresses. With our passionate team of skilled scientists and engineers we will aim to solve any problems that might come up. We will engage the community directly with any possible issues we face and work on solving them together.
Here are some of the potential issues we face and how we will address them:
Components Availability - Look for other vendors/switch component and/or find best ways to source components.
Issues with Production - We have been very selective in our choice of factories and manufacturers, choosing a partner that we know will deliver high quality results.
Software Platform Support - Problems that will arise from developing cross platform, we will solve these issues with community feedback and paid development and testing.
Quality Control - A major focus of the project is quality. The quantity of orders will help determine how we handle this. We will test each and every DUO ourselves and will carry out control checks in the production facilities.
We hope backers will understand that our project is a work in progress and feel confident that we will work hard and get past any challenges that could arise. This is about getting an amazing DUO into your hands as soon as possible. So please go back up to the top of the page and pledge now.
Thanks for your support!
The DUO Team
- (30 days)