As every vegetarian, vegan, and raw foodist on the planet knows, the current meat substitute scene has been grim for decades. Though some decent tasting options exist, no one has yet managed to produce a product that tastes great and whose ingredients list doesn't give you a headache. And if you're trying to avoid soy or wheat gluten, you simply have no options in the fake meat world.
At CocoBurg, we're gonna change that. Introducing CocoBurg's Raw Vegan Coconut Jerky, the world's first raw, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, minimally processed meat alternative made from all USDA Organic ingredients.
Our mission at CocoBurg is to provide the highest quality and most delicious, locally crafted coconut products available. We strive to fill a hole in the current raw food and meat substitute marketplace with a great tasting meat alternative that you can feel good about eating.
Our initial offering will include 3 flavors: original (peppered), spicy chili lime, and ginger teriyaki. If these are a success, CocoBurg will expand to offer more jerky flavors, other coconut based products, and new types of meat alternatives. But first we need your help to get this movement going!
Risks and challenges
At CocoBurg, we're taking this project very seriously and we have full confidence we will make a successful product with the help of our Kickstarter backers. We have created many successful batches of all 3 flavors and received so much great feedback that we decided it was time to share this with the world.
We've made huge strides in making CocoBurg happen. Our finances are in order, we've created relationships with our ingredient suppliers, we've completed most of our designs, and we have loads of samples of our delicious product! That being said, we still have some big challenges to overcome and we need the financial backing of Kickstarter to get us through the final hoops.
Though our challenges are many, we are savvy folks who have learned the lay of the land in food production. Here are the biggest challenges we'll face as we scale up to a commercial business and get major production under way:
- Moving into a certified organic commercial kitchen in Brooklyn
- Getting our product tested for pH, Aw, Microbial, nutritional values, and shelf life (already in process)
- Complying with the food safety standards of the FDA and Department of Agriculture and filing a scheduled process to ensure the highest standards in the production of our jerky
- Finding suitable packaging options
- Potential for needing recipe consultants as we scale up the size of production (recipes are known to change in the food industry with large quantities)
- Applying for a vendor license and following basic good business practices, incorporating as an S-Corp, getting insurance, etc
CocoBurg products are handmade in small batches in Brooklyn, NY and as such take some time. Every piece of CocoBurg jerky is marinated and dehydrated for 2 full days! We hope to start sending out rewards as soon as the end of August, but if we get A LOT of backers we may need to briefly pause production to hire some more folks and move into an even bigger space.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)