About this project
Inspired by women who push the limits both on and off the hill, Coalition Snow is a ski and snowboard company created by women, for women.
We design high-performance skis and boards that blow the shrink it and pink it model out of the water. Welcome to the sisterhood of shred!
Over the past two years we've hit the slopes to find out what women want in their skis and boards and what they want in a company. Here's what you've had to say:
1) You want a company that celebrates women and supports them. We've got that dialed from our ambassador program, to athletes, to the support we give to organizations and projects like SheJumps, Pretty Faces, B4BC, and SAFE AS Clinics.
2) You don't want to be portrayed as bystanders in the sport. We make you front and center.
3) You're over the out-of-touch perspective that women need short and soft gear that "helps" them compensate for mythical deficits. We know you've got skills and our gear amplifies your strengths. Our gear really does make you a better skier/rider. (We know this because you tell us this.)
4) And you like your stuff to look tight. That's why we are working with some of the most talented female artists like Lauren Bello, Christina Armetta, and Sarah Uhl to create skis, boards, and a line of soft goods that pop.
We’re just one piece of a much larger movement of women staking their claim in the industry. And you can be a part of that too by supporting our campaign. With your help, we’ll be able to launch an expanded second line of women’s specific skis and snowboards that will include designs based on feedback received from our ambassadors, team riders, customers, gear testers, and lady shredders from around the world. We've got this ladies (and gents), let’s do it.
1) Production costs for our highly sought after, all-mountain SOS ski in two new sizes — a 166 and a 180 (plus the tried and true 173).
2) Production costs for the Bliss, a new freestyle ski that slays everything from the groomers to icy runs to the park. Back in the day we’d call it the perfect East Coast ski, but the last few winters have put an end to that. We want to offer this to you in a 168, 175, and 182.
3) Production costs for our new park and pow Queen Bee snowboard. We want to make this available in three sizes — 147, 151, and 155.
Thank you for helping us reach our initial goal of $25,000! We’ve received a lot of questions about what we would do if we exceeded this goal, and we are thrilled to be able to share our vision with you. Anything we earn over $25,000 will help us meet future demand, support our ambassadors and team riders, bring the #sisterhoodofshred to your home mountain, and allow us to innovate around sustainable manufacturing.
Here’s the details:
$35,000 — Increase our production by 30%. Yipee! We’ll be able to make more skis and boards available to lady shredders around the world next year.
$45,000 — Increase our production by 50% and expand our ambassador program. Woot woot! A proper production budget that makes us stronger in the long-run and allows us to bring on more female ambassadors who represent the spirit and the soul of the #sisterhoodofshred.
$55,000 — Increase our production by 50%, expand our ambassador program, and pay our team riders. This is a really big deal. Our team riders are up and coming athletes and we want to be able to give them the support they need to travel and compete. It’s tough out there for amateur athletes (especially women) and we want to change that.
$65,000 — Increase our production by 50%, expand our ambassador program, pay our team riders, and come to a mountain near you! You’ve been asking for demo days, clinics, and other events that bring women together on the mountain. With more funding, we’ll bring our next line of skis and boards to your home mountain and spread the #sisterhoodofshred stoke.
$75,000 — Increase our production by 50%, expand our ambassador program, pay our team riders, come to a mountain near you, and invest in sustainable R&D. We know that there are so many eco-friendly alternatives out there like bamboo, basalt fibers, and resins. We want to be able to test these out and make them available in future lines.
When you back our campaign, you are investing in women and in the long-term sustainability of our company. We are grateful for the $25,000 you have helped us raise that will fund a small run of our next line of skis and boards (about $15,000 total toward production after we fulfill all of your pledges). But we know we can do more and we know that you believe in us.
Please share our campaign with your friends, family, and other like-minded people you know. You can help us take our company to the next level and ensure that our company— and this movement— continues to grow stronger and has a long, long life ahead of it.
1) We start with the end user — women who are advanced/expert skiers and riders. We ask you what you want and we listen. This campaign will help us add the gear to our second line that you’ve asked for.
2) We know how important size is to our lady friends. You want the performance of a man’s ski/board but in a size you can actually feel good on. We got you covered with everything from a 166 to a 180 in skis and a 147 to 155 in boards.
3) Our gear is stiff, just as anything good in life should be. There are plenty of soft women's skis and boards on the market. This equipment works well for beginners and for certain types of terrain and conditions. In the end, this soft gear ends up compromising our performance and enjoyment, and effectively "underguns" an entire group of skiers and riders who have progressed to another level. We’re filling this void in the industry with gear that has solid flex.
4) It looks good. Really good. No pink lotus flowers in these parts.
All of our skis and snowboards come with a 1-year replacement guarantee.
1) We’re a group of passionate skiers and riders hailing from Lake Tahoe, CA. Between us, we’ve got crazy amounts of decades living, playing, and attempting to make a living in the mountains.
2) We work with an amazing factory in Japan who’s been in the business for 50+ years to produce our skis and boards.
3) Our co-founders (Danielle Rees and Jen Gurecki) have been working with women for years in the non-profit world as the Executive Director for Girls on the Run - Sierras and the Founder/Chief Innovation Officer for Zawadisha. We mean business when it comes to making things better for women and girls around the world.
4) We’re a socially and environmentally responsible company supporting women around the world through the creation of a tree-seedling nursery with Zawadisha to offset the carbon footprint of our gear to backing female-driven projects like Pretty Faces, to donating to non-profits that help to increase the participation of women in the outdoors like SheJumps and SAFE AS Clinics.
5) Our artists kick serious ass. Big shout out to Lauren Bello of Folklaur Studio, Christina Armetta, and Sarah Uhl. Lauren Bello is an alumna of the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). She graduated in 2004 with a Masters in Architecture.
6) Want to see the real thing? Check out these photos and edits below of our team riders and ambassadors on our skis and snowboards.
1) We started in 2013/14 with testing our first prototypes of skis and snowboards. Our designs were based on what we wanted to see in women's gear and what we heard from other women through formal and informal surveys.
2) Based on their feedback, we went into production with our first line of skis and snowboards and made them available public this winter (see pics and video above). Women (and men) have been coming out of the woodwork in support of our company, and the response we've had to the performance skis ands boards have been incredibly positive. Here's what they've said: "From mashed potatoes to bulletproof ice, the Bliss skis handle like champs." “The S<O>S are the jam. Great combination between rocker and camber and once broken in, the stiffness is right on.” “The skis are stiff and demand your attention- as anything good in life should be!” "I like how they Myth is stiff enough where you can hold an edge at high speeds without chatter. It feels smooth and effortless. Having the rocker in between the feet makes it feel fun, surfy."
3) You told us what you wanted in terms of an expanded line of shapes and sizes. We had prototypes of the new models of skis/boards made and sent them out on the slopes to be tested December - February 2015. We've already designed the graphics, tested the shapes, and with a successful Kickstarter campaign, we'll be ready to go into production this summer.
4) When the campaign is over (April 25th), you will receive an e-mail from us requesting all of the important information to fulfill your perks (your mailing address, sizes, styles etc).
5) We will ship all soft goods to you July 2015.
6) Production for our skis and snowboards will wrap up late summer and our gear will be ready to ship to you in November 2015.
We've got some people to thank! Big shout out to Chris Bartkowski at Generikal for the video; to Sierra Sawyer, Sandra Dejin, and Sarah Redman for the footage; to Lauren Bello, Christina Armetta, and Sarah Uhl for the graphics; Jenn Sheridan, Kristen Harvey, Jillian Raymond, Lauren Bello, and Danielle Rees for starting in our video; and the rest of the team for helping to make this Kickstarter happen.
Risks and challenges
DELIVERY DELAYS – There are a ton of steps and humans (and sometimes what feel like acts of God) involved in our production, resulting in many opportunities for unforeseen issues to arise that could delay shipment of product. We will always keep you updated on our progress or any hiccups. We also will ship in the order of purchase – first to buy, first to receive.
SHIPPING – We tried to keep our shipping costs low so we could direct as much funding as possible to production. We will use USPS to do this, so please provide a valid mailing address. If you don't see your country listed, please send us a message at email@example.com and we'll help sort it out.
STYLE/MODEL/SIZE AVAILABILITY – Photos provided in this Kickstarter campaign showcase viable styles, however, final choices are subject to change based on level of backing. Backers will be contacted after a successful campaign to confirm combinations before fulfillment. We aim to make you smile.
THE LIABILITY STUFF – Skiing and snowboarding are inherently risky activities that can result in serious injury or death. We encourage you to make the best decisions based on your ability level and to take the appropriate precautions (such as helmets, beacons, shovels, probes, good decision-making, etc.). We assume no liability for any injuries to person or property. Shred on, sweet sisters.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)